Reviews for Leaps and Bounds
Revisitor chapter 48 . 2/4
So, I read this fanfic years ago. I've been playing Crystal again recently and decided to revisit it.

It's... Not good. I'm sorry.

Some aspects are good. While there's a little bit of padding here and there (i.e. too many unnecessary adjectives in some sentences), there's not nearly as much filler in this fic compared to others. You're a good writer. You made an effort to flesh out side characters, which I greatly appreciated.

That said...

My first complaint is that the relationship is undesirable from the get-go. I've seen other reviewers point it out, but it's true: it's all the markers of an abusive relationship, right down to Gold being the kind of person (trusting, naive, kind) who abusers target. In all fairness, you did notice this halfway through the story and tried to salvage it by having them break up, but... Having them get back together is just too reminiscent of times when abuse victims give their ex-abusers a "second chance". Even in cases where the abuser has changed, they should stay far, far away from the people they've abused and build a new, non-abusive relationship with someone else from the ground-up. You often can't undo whatever psychological manipulation you inflict on someone; no matter how much you change as a person, they'll still be wrapped around your little finger to some extent, and getting back together is just taking advantage of that.

In short, the whole premise was flawed and couldn't be salvaged. I don't see an awkward, damaged boy in Silver like I did when I read this years ago. I see a man repeating the cycle of abuse and, while I don't believe anyone is beyond redemption, he should've stayed well away from Gold after everything he put him through.

My next complaint has also been addressed before: it's barely a Pokemon fanfiction. I saw someone use the term "cookie cutter fic" earlier, and... Yeah. If you want to write an AU where Pokemon are just like normal animals, fine, but there's a point at which you might as well have just written an original story with original characters. I groaned when I remembered Koko is a dog... A dog? Not even a Growlithe or something?
Also, as others have said, Pokemon battles are a big part of the dynamic between Gold/Silver in the games. Again, you don't HAVE to include Pokemon if you don't want to, but the relationship just... Loses something, especially for those who have fond memories of coming up with shipping headcanons while battling against Silver in the games.

Finally, cliches. So many yaoi manga cliches. I didn't pick up on these years ago, probably because I was younger and had less knowledge of tropes.

I want to emphasize that I'm not saying this to put you down. You wrote this over seven years ago; I bet you've improved a lot since then! I'd happily read a more recent Gold/Silver fanfic from you if you ever write it.
But I'm still posting this review so that maybe other fanfic writers on this site can avoid the same pitfalls.

Thank you for reading.
Anonymous chapter 48 . 1/25
AHHH oh my goodness. I was just scrolling through random fics and I found this and, holy crap. I bawled like a baby. The characters feel so real, the story was heartbreaking and complex; overall, it was just absolutely amazing. 48 chapters is crazy long but this is honestly one of the best fics I’ve in this fandom.
ElGal chapter 48 . 12/18/2017
I honestly wasn't even looking for a romance story when I stumbled across this yesterday, but I've been glued to my phone screen ever since! Seriously, crossing the road with my eyes on the screen. It's not healthy. But this story was wonderful and had me both smiling and crying. Thank you for all the time and effort you put in to writing it, it really was a lovely read
NinjaFoxSword chapter 48 . 1/11/2017
That was really good -
Daddy Victor chapter 26 . 11/26/2016
Guest chapter 48 . 11/14/2016
It was great! Except that the ending wasn't that good...but it was still a great story
Reader chapter 2 . 10/29/2016
I'm re-reading the entire series ;w; It makes me so very happy.
Guest chapter 48 . 7/23/2016
well,I love this story so much but... the ending left me with this empty feeling... I don't know why but it felt like a different person wrote the last few chapters because the authors notes seemed like you stop enjoying writing this story. also the ending felt to happy and kinda rushed... but remember I really like this story and it's one of my favorite Gold/Silver fanfic... but I have a... request for a fanfic i'm not sure if you done this already but could you make a Red/Green fan fiction please?
Guest chapter 48 . 6/29/2016
I love you! And I adore this story it made me cry... I want moreee I love it too much
ryaliia chapter 48 . 6/27/2016
(i comment 5mil. years late)
Uuug chapter 1 . 2/21/2016
Another stupid boy to boy thing... I hate this place for,lacking fanfics I want to really read... I can't even write them
Beth chapter 48 . 2/18/2016
Six years on, and I still come back to read this fic. I don't know if you'll see this review or if you even log into your account anymore, but I felt I couldn't leave without telling you what an enormous part of my teenage years this story was. It's up there with all of the pivotal published books I've read - that Love and Alcohol chapter will stay with me forever, I think!

If I remember rightly, one of your earliest author's notes mentioned that you wanted to make this 'the' GoldxSilver fic. You did that. And I want to thank you for providing me with such a treat.
Anon-Chan chapter 43 . 2/18/2016
Silver: You can't call the kid Jasper that's a fucking dogs name
Me: *looks over at my dog, who is named Jasper, whispering* he's not wrong

Love this
clover123ie chapter 2 . 1/2/2016
I love the sense of reality that you create with these characters :D I personally love the pairing and so-far so-good, I can't wait to see how gold and silver develop! keep on writing, you're really quite good :)
Jcjc chapter 13 . 10/17/2015
I've decided to re-read this and damn silver is kinda annoying sometimes. But I'm not saying it's a bad story it's just silver needs to get it together
1,290 | Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »