Reviews for Leaps and Bounds
I cried.
fletchley chapter 48 . 4/29
this fic was.. something. yeah, I'll just second everything the reviewer "Revisitor" said. Silver's character disappointed me throughout, but I don't mean to discourage you with this review.

you've sincerely got potential, and I wish you luck with the writing you do in the future, and anything else you decide to try out.
fletchley chapter 4 . 4/29
tbh I don't feel very sorry for Silver - it feels like quite a bit of his behaviour towards Gold would be considered abusive.

and Blue.. Blue's amazing. enough said. I hope her words knock some sense into Silver, even though that feels a bit unlikely.
fletchley chapter 3 . 4/29
I.. I feel extremely sorry for Gold in both this fic and in the prequel - something about your writing just cuts my heart into pieces, it feels very genuine and realistic.

in here I truly think Gold deserves better than Silver imo, and that's a lot coming from me since I'm a Hunter/Preciousmetal shipper. :P

I do hope Silver either starts treating him right by the end of this fic, or Gold decides to leave him - whatever the case, I look forward to reading onward.

Crystal's just amazing, a bit different to how I picture her (serious, sarcastic, and patient) - but I like this version of her just fine.
Revisitor chapter 48 . 2/4
So, I read this fanfic years ago. I've been playing Crystal again recently and decided to revisit it.

It's... Not good. I'm sorry.

Some aspects are good. While there's a little bit of padding here and there (i.e. too many unnecessary adjectives in some sentences), there's not nearly as much filler in this fic compared to others. You're a good writer. You made an effort to flesh out side characters, which I greatly appreciated.

That said...

My first complaint is that the relationship is undesirable from the get-go. I've seen other reviewers point it out, but it's true: it's all the markers of an abusive relationship, right down to Gold being the kind of person (trusting, naive, kind) who abusers target. In all fairness, you did notice this halfway through the story and tried to salvage it by having them break up, but... Having them get back together is just too reminiscent of times when abuse victims give their ex-abusers a "second chance". Even in cases where the abuser has changed, they should stay far, far away from the people they've abused and build a new, non-abusive relationship with someone else from the ground-up. You often can't undo whatever psychological manipulation you inflict on someone; no matter how much you change as a person, they'll still be wrapped around your little finger to some extent, and getting back together is just taking advantage of that.

In short, the whole premise was flawed and couldn't be salvaged. I don't see an awkward, damaged boy in Silver like I did when I read this years ago. I see a man repeating the cycle of abuse and, while I don't believe anyone is beyond redemption, he should've stayed well away from Gold after everything he put him through.

My next complaint has also been addressed before: it's barely a Pokemon fanfiction. I saw someone use the term "cookie cutter fic" earlier, and... Yeah. If you want to write an AU where Pokemon are just like normal animals, fine, but there's a point at which you might as well have just written an original story with original characters. I groaned when I remembered Koko is a dog... A dog? Not even a Growlithe or something?
Also, as others have said, Pokemon battles are a big part of the dynamic between Gold/Silver in the games. Again, you don't HAVE to include Pokemon if you don't want to, but the relationship just... Loses something, especially for those who have fond memories of coming up with shipping headcanons while battling against Silver in the games.

Finally, cliches. So many yaoi manga cliches. I didn't pick up on these years ago, probably because I was younger and had less knowledge of tropes.

I want to emphasize that I'm not saying this to put you down. You wrote this over seven years ago; I bet you've improved a lot since then! I'd happily read a more recent Gold/Silver fanfic from you if you ever write it.
But I'm still posting this review so that maybe other fanfic writers on this site can avoid the same pitfalls.

Thank you for reading.
Anonymous chapter 48 . 1/25
AHHH oh my goodness. I was just scrolling through random fics and I found this and, holy crap. I bawled like a baby. The characters feel so real, the story was heartbreaking and complex; overall, it was just absolutely amazing. 48 chapters is crazy long but this is honestly one of the best fics I’ve in this fandom.
ElGal chapter 48 . 12/18/2017
I honestly wasn't even looking for a romance story when I stumbled across this yesterday, but I've been glued to my phone screen ever since! Seriously, crossing the road with my eyes on the screen. It's not healthy. But this story was wonderful and had me both smiling and crying. Thank you for all the time and effort you put in to writing it, it really was a lovely read
NinjaFoxSword chapter 48 . 1/11/2017
That was really good -
Daddy Victor chapter 26 . 11/26/2016
IT'S MY SECOND TIMR READING THIS AND I AM SHITTING UNICORNS OG HOW SAD THISCHAPTERIS
Guest chapter 48 . 11/14/2016
It was great! Except that the ending wasn't that good...but it was still a great story
Reader chapter 2 . 10/29/2016
I'm re-reading the entire series ;w; It makes me so very happy.
Guest chapter 48 . 7/23/2016
well,I love this story so much but... the ending left me with this empty feeling... I don't know why but it felt like a different person wrote the last few chapters because the authors notes seemed like you stop enjoying writing this story. also the ending felt to happy and kinda rushed... but remember I really like this story and it's one of my favorite Gold/Silver fanfic... but I have a... request for a fanfic i'm not sure if you done this already but could you make a Red/Green fan fiction please?
Guest chapter 48 . 6/29/2016
I love you! And I adore this story it made me cry... I want moreee I love it too much
ryaliia chapter 48 . 6/27/2016
THAT WAS BEAUTIFUL
(i comment 5mil. years late)
Uuug chapter 1 . 2/21/2016
Another stupid boy to boy thing... I hate this place for,lacking fanfics I want to really read... I can't even write them
1,294 | Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »