Reviews for Break To Breathe
Kitakana chapter 50 . 7/3/2015
This story is so very sad. And so very good at the same time. It had me all weepy for a while there. And the ending. It makes this story harder to forget, it is not just some nice feel-good story... This story has feeling in it that will stick with me for a long time. Superbly crafted and elegantly told, this is just the right mix of tragedy but leaves room to hope.
Mouse-size-Dragon chapter 50 . 5/31/2015
So many years after the fact I've just now read your story and it was amazing. This was epic in length, really well done in keeping everyone in character, and so well written I'm in awe. I don't care too much about the pairings but you took two of my favorite characters and wrote a novel (three times over!) about them. I have to favorite this even though I'm five years late to the party. If you were still writing it I'd encourage you to do a sequel or any other fic involving these two, but since you've already done the sequel, and two more after that, I'll have to stick with a thank you.
annoyedandgay chapter 48 . 5/19/2015
The characters are perfect and the humor is gold.
annoyedandgay chapter 13 . 5/8/2015
I just started reading this,
I want to thank you on behalf of the entire shikaneji fandom.
This is a beautifully written story, with perfect characterization.
You have given me exactly what I wanted, with a excellence unparalleled by any other shikaneji fanfic published.
You have done us proud.
Insane Penguin chapter 50 . 4/4/2015
Ok. So I read this fic a while ago and added to my favourites and then I left it for a while. Last week I started to reread it again. And I don't even have words to tell you how much I fell in love with it all over again.
I am completely jealous if how you managed to keep all the characters actually in character (I cannot do this and that is why I don't attempt to write Fanfiction. Yet.)
I completely lived the whole plot, especially Hanegakure (something cool that happened a few hours ago: I met a girl who's last name is actually Tsubari. How cool is that? I was almost finished this fic and was immediately like omg! BtB! )
I actually liked your OC's, especially Hibari and Maki is adorable. And I never like OC's, so...
(And also, I totally ship Kitori/Ozuku. I don't even know, but...yeah)
And Shikamaru and Nejj. Just. I love. So much. This fic totally ripped my heart up.
And please tell me you're gonna actually publish your own book one day. I will love you forever and your book and I will attempt to write Fanfiction as awesome as this and yeah. (If you do tell me immediately and I will buy it and tell all my friends to as well and my family and I have a big family so you'll be like instantly rich)
And yeah. Longest review I've ever written probably, so go ahead and feel special about yourself;)
Love, Insane Penguin
Akira-kun chapter 50 . 3/26/2015
Dear Rayne,

I’ve been sitting in front of a blank page for the past ten minutes trying to figure how would I start this review. There are quite a few things that I would like to tell you, so I hope you don’t mind the excessive length this one will have. And the possible rantings that surely will glide into the middle of it.
Although I just started to read BtB last week, it has already been part of my fic-life for long months - years even! You might wonder how, but I assure you the answer to that is actually quite simple: our dear friend, Tai Black.
I’m positive that you could already sense the intensity with which Tai loves your work and, if she’s far from shy to convey all her passion and enthusiasm over your stories to you, you can imagine how is it like for me, who not only share this fanfics’ hobby but also have been close friends with her over the past soon to be 12 years.
I don’t recall exactly when it was the first time that BtB series showed up in a conversation, but I can tell you, as certain as sun rising in the east*, that every single time a new chapter came up the always same explosion of fangirlism happened in whatever form of communication we were using at the moment. Knowing her for as long as I do and sharing the same inclinations for most of the fics we read, I knew this was one I couldn’t possibly miss. But when I saw the length of it and the fact that the entire series wasn’t completed yet, I faltered. I tend to be a tiny bit obsessive with the things I enjoy and the need to consume all of it at once is stronger than my responsibilities and, sometimes, basic needs. (Who needs to eat or sleep when there’s a heart breaking fic in front of them, right?) So the fact that I could not afford to lose a few days of my adult (ahaha!) and responsible life, plus the on going issue and the “I can’t read on the computer anymore, my eyes hurt” “I’m not going to kill trees to print 377k words!” were what kept me away from BtB.
But after all the months and months of fangirlism, and heavy pressure (she will say it was not pressure, but don’t believe her!) and the fact that you actually finished the series, all my “reasons” started to fade. The series was complete, I got myself a kindle so I could read without killing my eyes or any innocent trees, and I had a week off with very long and boring hours of traveling and a excruciating long weekend in the middle of no where and with nothing at all to do. I had no more reasons for not reading what Tai had almost tackled me to the ground - literally - in order to convince me to read.
And, after all, I had promised her that.
So there I was, last week, pretending to be a all beautiful and fabulous business woman returning home for the week, with a suitcase in one hand and my kindle in the other, ready to start this journey. Said journey that took me 38 hours and 3 minutes distributed over 7 long and crazy days. I had half of my family complaining about me reading all the time and I find it fascinating that every time I was asked what was I reading, there was a very detailed sexual scene displaying on the screen.
But enough of ranting, this is about your BtB.
I think the most important part of all is that BtB didn’t disappoint me not even for a second. Not only due to the fact that I started to read it with very high expectations (Did I mention that there’s a certain someone who can’t shut up about BtB?), but also because during all the journey through the story there was not one moment that I thought something didn’t fit on the occasion. And I think this is one of the rarest things I could find. The comic moments were on the right place and even though they were simple and baring the ordinary, they felt like a pinch of glitter over the marvelous written work. Comic moments in more serious fics are usually shallow and forced, feeling off and dislocated. And I felt relief when I noticed yours were anything but that. You worked those comic clichês so smoothly, they got me by the end of the 3rd chapter.
I was also expecting you to be a wonderful writer with a majestic vocabulary and I wasn’t wrong in assuming it. (I amused myself with kindle’s dictionary function over more words that I would have expected - thanks for helping build my vocabulary!) And if all of this wasn’t enough, you even managed to drag me in something that, plot-wise, is not messy or heavily addictive (so far, I’ve been told) as I so damn much like it. There are no crazy twists or “I desperately need to know what will happen next”. You do have your cliffhangers, but it’s not a Mr. Holmes mystery that I *have!* to know the rest. I give up on fics over 20k because they’re too long, and you made me read 377k words in 38 hours and 3 minutes.
And then, it was the point that Tai had being talking and fangirling over and over and over again: the emotional deepness of the characters.
I didn’t feel, not even for a heartbeat, that a character was ooc. I was reading your magnificent words and I was seeing the characters as I perceived them in the original story. Darker. Deeper. Human. The detail and vast exploration of the characters was fantastic. I was craving for more, reading through it all just to find the conflicts, the breaking points, the clashes of all the feelings and emotions, stripping them dare, ripping out the raw core of each one of them! I had my eyes nailed to the sentences, obliviating the world around me and my own worlds, the emotions on the story carving themselves into my mind, forcing my soul to feel them one by one, to the hypnotic detail you were narrating them. I felt your characters, lived their fear and their pain, laughed with their laugh and smiled softly at their peace. I hurt, I shivered, I trembled and stopped breathing. I read until my eyes were crying of exhaustion and my brain shutting down with the need to sleep. And I loved every single moment of it.
It was fabulous. Thank you!
I will, obviously, read the 3 ones that follow, but not now. I detached myself from all my worlds in order to live this one of yours, but I can’t be away for longer. There’s a piece I need to finish before I can have the luxury of taking a journey on the next number of the BtB series. With a lot of emotional wreckage and no more further rambling, I guarantee you I’ll be back for more.

All the love,
Jay

P.S.: I usually leave 100 words reviews. Look at what you’ve done!
* yes, I’m quoting Beauty and the Beast. Not sorry
ShikaNejiShika chapter 50 . 3/18/2015
Well, I'm reviewing at the end because I'm not good at explaining through words, but here it goes!
I absolutely LOVED this fic! It's way better than a lot of books I've read, and is by far the best fanfic I've EVER read! 3
I loved how in-character everyone was, and I could see this really happening in canon. You made everything so believable!
I may ship ShikaTema and NejiTen more than ShikaNeji, but it's now a definite close second to them! It probably would be first if those hadn't been OTPs of mine for several years. This is a new ship for me, and I see it as a crack ship, but it's my fave crack ship of all time!
Your writing style is flawless; I especially loved some actions or words that were repeated but not too much, such as Shikamaru saying "sneaky" or Neji gripping Shika's throat. I loved how the last chapter came back around to some things from the beginning, and it ended well (though of course I want more; who doesn't?).
Your word choice was outstanding with a very high vocabulary level; I even had to look a few words up (most noticeably lackadaisical, though I got a good impression of its meaning from the context). I consider myself to have a large vocabulary, and it's certainly bigger than my smart friends'. This wasn't an easy read, and I loved it for that! Obviously some words were spelled differently, as you wrote in British English and I'm Anerican, but it hoestly didn't bother me at all. A few words I didn't know we're spelled differently made me pause briefly, but nothing major.
A telltale sign that something I'm reading is good is if I try to read ahead against my will. I like to keep where I'm reading at the top of my iPod or tablet, so there's a whole screen of words I haven't read and I really wanted to read ahead in this fic. I'll do that with my favorite books and read a few lines on the next page, especially in parts that get my heart pounding.
I loved how the NSFW parts weren't all about the sexual acts. Being asexual, that's not typically something I want to read and I'll usually skip over it because there's nothing of importance. In Break to Breathe, there was so much else going on besides the sexual parts that I actually read them.
The noises I made while reading this... Mostly they were noises of frustration/sadness/my-heart-is-being-ripped-to-pieces noises. I'm not sure if you know what I mean but that's the best way to describe them besides that they'd probably type out to "hnnnnngggh" or "nnnnnnneeeeeheheheh."
Hanegakure and your OCs were all really cool! Kitori was an awesome villain and was well-developed, and I totally ship Sakura and Hibari. I wish the place and people were in the canon!
I should've known what I was getting into when it was labeled as "angst" but wow, that word doesn't do this fic justice! Way more angst than things I normally read.
The last chapter made me shed a few tears, but the rest I didn't cry at all for. Strange feelings in my chest and stomach areas that were painful and pleasurable, yes. Tears, not so much. Which really surprised me because I've cried for things less heart-wrenching. I attribute the lack of waterworks to the fact that I read a lot of this on the bus and in study hall at school, plus when I was home and the family was home, so I didn't need unwanted questions. I felt the urge to cry plenty, but I pushed it down and typically made soft noises instead.
Overall, FAN-FREAKING-TASTIC! Absolutely amazing, and as soon as I finish a few other fics I will continue on to the other three! Is there any specific order? Should the two smaller fics be read before the larger one that I believe is the sequel?
I'd continue right away but I made a deal with a friend of mine: she reads this if I read 2 fics of her choice. We both had to finish the one we were currently on though, so she hasn't started and I'm about to.
I'm also nagging another friend to read it and she will, she just needs to remember to do so.
So, yeah, there's my review! Third review I've ever done and by far the longest.
And yes, it's Lunarblaze12, the one from DeviantArt.
Farewell, and until the next fic (or if I get on DA again)!
SecretlyAngryMio chapter 41 . 3/14/2015
So...Long...
SecretlyAngryMio chapter 33 . 3/11/2015
So...long...
SecretlyAngryMio chapter 24 . 3/10/2015
love this so much.
Anonymous chapter 50 . 2/13/2015
"It's not a sequel."
Reading in 2011: 'Aw... God dammit."
Rereading in 2015: *snicker*
Ten1010Ten chapter 50 . 1/31/2015
I love this story so much! It's really inspiring to me as a FF writer and I am glad I have managed to come to this link - believe me I couldn't put my iPad down the last two days. I'm in the midst of writing my own version of the war focusing on Tenten and her friends, and Shikamaru and Neji feature quite a fair bit, especially with the latest chapters. It's no where near completion and your fic is giving me some ideas to include some moments between Neji and Shikamaru, even though in the story they are paired with Tenten and Temari respectively. Hope to get your support and comments!
hitsugayataichoda chapter 50 . 1/28/2015
When a great story ends I always tend to have this heavy ache settle in my heart, but you just nailed the pain deeper by veering the plot in this direction. Beautiful plot with an intricate mix of emotions that ended in an-I agree, possibly realistic way. The way this couple is portrayed I have to say synthesized one of the best chemistry mixes I've seen in a while. My hats to you on every aspect of this story_
MiyaSmith811 chapter 50 . 1/28/2015
I love this story so much. It is son well written and so amazing.
beachvilla chapter 50 . 12/27/2014
Enjoyed your story. I couldn't get enough of it.
2,064 | « Prev Page 1 .. 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 18 .. Last Next »