Reviews for The Ribbon
ReefChic7 chapter 1 . 4/25/2012
This totally made me cry. I am so glad he wound up remembering here. My grandparents got married two weeks before my grandad was shipped off to this wore. He came back three years later and met his daughter for the first time. :( I still have all of the letters he sent my grandma, they were so sweet.
nancy b chapter 1 . 1/20/2011
I loved this story, so sweet and just enough twists to keep me interested.
DreamsInColor8 chapter 1 . 12/1/2010
Great story! Really sweet! He got his memory back on Christmas too. :)
Admiradora1 chapter 1 . 11/15/2010
aaawwww love it! this was sooo romantic!
svmfan1 chapter 1 . 10/10/2010
Can't believe I missed this story. Just read it when I saw your Sookie POV one, still have to read that. OK, have to say love the whole premace. Band Of Brothers for me was by far the best war mini series HBO ever did and you definitely captured that same quality in this story. Now onto Eric. Have to admit as much as I love Sookie/Eric stories and HEA, this Eric let me down a bit. I can only imagine how he hurt Sookie. Yes, amnesia was not done intentionally, what I found hard to believe is that he couldn't fall in love with her all over again. Him telling her he was going to leave her Christmas eve because of the pressure of him not remembering? My heart broke for Sookie. Yes, very touching that the ribbon brought his memories back, but frankly I wanted her to say FU Eric when he had to have his memories back to love her. He shunned her for two months after the accident, then wants to see her when he thinks she may have another, then when he can't remember he says adios? Did he not see during that time how the old Eric could have fallen in love with her? He was just going to walk away? Well I guess its a good thing Sookie is so forgiving. Now I can't wait to read her POV. I love that you allow us to see it from both sides. Really she certainly endured so much pain. Thanks you really know how to write emotional stories. Maybe in Sookie's eyes I will have more empathy for this ammesiac Eric because from his POV, didn't have any. Look foward to the next one. Thanks, I always love your stories.
CindyKay chapter 1 . 10/6/2010
Another great story! Thanks for writing.

Cindy
SlackerDee chapter 1 . 9/9/2010
Yeah I can't believe I waited so long to read this. I'm a dork. That being said OMG I LOVED IT! Ugh ripped my heart out when Eric lost his memories. I know you are doing a SPOV and I can't read it. Though, I may actually cry. You are fantastic.
luvvamps chapter 1 . 9/4/2010
very sweet!
A-Redhead-Thing chapter 1 . 9/3/2010
I hate you so much right now. I’m crying like a baby. AGAIN. I did the first time I read this too. GAH.

I just love so much about this story. You capture everything in it so perfectly. You have crafted such a unique tale that feels like it could happen in real life. Hell it probably did happen to a lot of people back then.

One of my favorite things is that you manage to emulate the duty to one’s country and the pains of war and the way everything changed in light of all of it.

It is a beautiful story. I love the innocence of all of it and the way you capture the time period so well. It just amazes me, since you obviously didn’t grow up then, that you manage to make me feel as though I am back in that time.

“By the time we got to that history classroom, I was in love.” SWOON! Oh my gracious. I love him already. He is too wonderful.

He asked her out for a malt! I love malts! Also, that is just precious and adorable and so appropriate for the time!

I love that he meets her family first and has to have her home by 8.

He’s such a gentleman: escorting her in, taking her coat, keeping them away from others. If I didn’t already love him, he’d have won my heart right then.

It’s so wonderful that they share their stories over malts. It’s amazing that they are comfortable enough with each other to open up like that right away.

“She took my hand when we left, and I felt like the luckiest son-of-a-gun on the planet.” This makes me smile so insanely much. I have like a perma-grin attached to my face.

Bless Jason’s heart for not only giving permission but for being so happy she’d be taken care of. Such a good big brother!

I love love love how Sookie just knows immediately that Eric is going to enlist. It speaks a lot to his character. How he chooses to represent his country in spite of the fact that it means leaving the love of his life behind without marrying her first.

Is it wrong that the thought of him being a paratrooper is sexy to me?

One of my favorite things about this is the way you managed to work actual war scenarios into the story. In some pieces that would detract from things but you make it work to the stories’ advantage.

I swoon over the fact that he kept her ribbon with him at all times in spite of the fact that he could get in serious trouble for it.

*sobs* why Jason!

OMFG. A car accident. *glares*

AMNESIA! *sobs*

Oh god! I just want to hug him. “I'm engaged?” Poor thing! I can’t even fathom not remembering that about myself.

Oh goodness. He wants to spare her from the get go. Such an amazing guy.

OH Sookie! I do not blame her one bit for running up to him and throwing her arms around him. I would have done the same exact thing.

*sniffles* I love/hate the he tries to push her away to spare her pain. It makes my heart hurt.

I fucking love her for telling him like it is though! I love that she is strong about it and doesn’t back down and tells him exactly what he means to her and what she has gone through.

I absolutely love that he falls in love with her again, sans his memories. That is a true statement of how much he cares for her and how amazing she really is.

*cries happy tears* the ribbon helps him remember! OOOOOOOOOH!

He leaves without talking to his Aunt he’s so excited! *giggles*

HE PROPOSES AGAIN! *cries more*

I love her innocence… “I’m in my nightgown” too precious.

Bill! I want to hug Bill. That is all.

“Can I kiss you?" I asked. I knew it wasn't appropriate, I knew I shouldn't even be in a house at night alone with a single woman, but I also knew I wouldn't leave her again. Not even for propriety's sake.” brilliantly amazing and swoonworthy and my heart is swelling.

The fact that you didn’t write a full scale love scene makes this even more stunning to me. I think it adds so much to the story. It makes it even more special in my eyes.

The ending is so sweet and it makes me want to cry even more!

God I love this so much!
ljhjelm49 chapter 1 . 6/16/2010
Another great story. Thank you
nycsnowbird chapter 1 . 5/19/2010
As you may remember, this story has been on my 'to-do' list for months now. Judging the contest was one thing, not leaving you feedback just gnawed at me. I promised, so here it comes.

This was one of my favorite stories in the contest. It felt real and was just achingly heartfelt. You captured the feel of WW2 and the brave, young soldiers going off to fight a war to keep our country safe. It was a different time with more patriotism and an ideology that our grandparents and great grandparents held fast and dear.

When did this country become so jaded? Maybe when we found the principles so many men died for were good on paper only. Maybe when the returning soldiers were met by the Red Cross that dispensed coffee and donuts and charged for them (your donations hard at work). Maybe when the returning vets couldn't find employment.

I don't know; WW2, though a stone's throw of time away, seems eons past in the attitudes, morals and trust we had then. Men went off to war regarded as heroes for their selfless act. Women remained home, faithful and rapt in sending letters abroad, running canteens, taking temp jobs to help the country with the loss of a lot of blue collar workers. The country went into a rationing frenzy for basic food stuffs and women painted seams on the backs of their legs to substitute for the nylons they could no longer buy. Hard to imagine some of the sacrifices!

Sookie is everywoman. Devoted, loving, caring. She becomes a schoolteacher as she waits for her fiance. The chaste love she and Eric share will survive everything, even if, during his amnesiac period, it is seen only as a dog-earred ribbon in his army duffel.

You capture the sadness of the loss of Eric's meaningful presence in Sookie's life beautifully here. She has not changed, he has, and she must bear his loss with stoic grace or frighten him away.

She has lost so much already and to lose Eric would irreparably tear her apart.

I knew the ribbon would bring her back to him, I just didn't know how you would have it play out. I thought perhaps the cherry scented hair might come into play, too, but all it did was give him a sense of familiarity.

Lovely story, Lindsay. Belatedly, I wanted you to know I really enjoyed it.
Suki59 chapter 1 . 2/7/2010
Congratulations on being the hosts' pick for the contest! Well done!
Southern Amateur chapter 1 . 1/24/2010
How perfectly sweet!
mischievousmaya chapter 1 . 1/24/2010
Aw, Linds, you tug at my heartstrings like no other! You wrote a touching and sweet story, and I absolutely adored it! Good luck in the contest!
Eris Jade Black chapter 1 . 1/22/2010