Reviews for The Vast Wasteland
Rurouni209 chapter 1 . 12/10/2012
I just read all eight parts of this in one day, and I'm very glad I found seemingly the 8 fanfics for Kino's Journey (at least on this site) that managed to stay true to the original storytelling aspect of it and keep the characters in-character for the duration. I was sad to see this series of fanfics have gotten less than 10 reviews each - they deserve far more than that. Thank you for the entertainment as I face finals week at my college :)
pf-joseph chapter 1 . 1/19/2011
Hmm, a great ending to a fantastic series! Sort of a light finish after a heavy main course. Nothing too heavy, but still something to think about and remember, and that doesn't conclude things definitely, but offers a fresh start. Great sequencing of flow.

Again, an unexpected angle well-written. Kino meeting a double in a big city-esque setting (I was actually thinking along the lines of NYC - turns out my geography isn't the strongest subject ).

The setting is a very interesting one, exploring certain themes related to the pop culture industry, and also offering a rare metropolitan feel to Kino's Journey. Something I don't get to see much too, given that her travels tend towards the philosophical.

Interesting insight into the film industry though, and a great read as usual. Thank you for bringing us on a fantastic journey, Blue! D
Blue chapter 1 . 9/24/2010
Thanks to all the traffic and positive reviews, work has begun on a successor to "Dead Man's Curve."

:: Ominous drum roll... ::

Please watch for "Old Haunts," the adventures of Gia and her talking car Christine, and the twisted perversion of everything Kino's Journey stands for.

The Blue Footed Booby
GDeacur chapter 3 . 8/30/2010
Thank you for the end notes. It's good to know I picked up on most of the undercurrents while missing others. Yeah, I like missing it sometimes and having it explained... it makes for a good second read.

I, uh, formerly beg you for another Kino story.
Jonshine chapter 3 . 7/8/2010
Hey,

Well, I'm not sure what to say. You perfectly capture the feeling of Kino's Journey, but that left me with mixed emotions too, even though I was glad to have seen it. 'The world is beautiful because and in spite of its ugliness', indeed.

I count myself lucky, in some sense, to have come in at the end of this journey you took with Kino and be therefore spared the water-torture drip of most fanfiction. I think I disagree that what you've written is a 'novel' despite its length - like all of Kino's stories, it's just too bitty for that - thought this afterword and appendix is far from inappropriate.

As ever when journeying with Kino, there's a certain melancholy that even if her journey doesn't, ours ends. This didn't feel like a bad place to do it, I think, with a summation and review of your series. A chance for Kino to confront you, in some sense, yet an acknowledgement that her journey continues under 'the care of another crew', as was quoted at the intermission of the 'Trek films.

Anyway, it's superb, even though I'm forced to assume there we will hear no more of Kino from you.

Yours,
HoldoutTrout chapter 2 . 5/29/2010
Thank you so much for giving this wonderful character more to her story. I enjoyed it all, and loved how it all came together in the end.
XStylus chapter 1 . 2/23/2010
Your previous stories (chapters?) were things of beauty. This one, however, felt a bit campy. I don't know if this was supposed to be tongue in cheek or whatnot, but...

Overall though, your stories as a whole were enjoyable. If you find it in you for one more though, a more thorough story on how Kino... ...ends (as you hinted in an epilogue to the Haibane story) would be interesting.

If some things are best left alone though, I can respect that too. Again, as a whole, "Dead Man's Curve" was a gem. :)
GDeacur chapter 2 . 2/4/2010
Amazing series. Thanks for the afterword, too.

Poor Kino's gender is once again mistaken. Gino describes why they both like what they do. Kino returns to the road in good spirits with her friend. A trigun reference. All good.

I actually counted on something of a shootout. I'm glad you didn't do the expected.

You're above my criticism. The only thing you've left to do is write in your own universe, if you already haven't at some time. Either way, thanks for contributing. Your stories are the best Kino's section here has to offer, and my personal favorites match the episodes in content.

I'll just end it like this:

You're a great writer.
ddarkestangel chapter 1 . 1/11/2010
This was pretty good.. Kino's journey is one of my favorite animes. I can't believe there aren't more fafics for it! The only thing I don't like about this is that it's a oneshot. It would be awesome to read more