Reviews for Child of Light
windsongspringheart chapter 75 . 3/13
Yay! I finally caught up and really hope there'll be an update on this soon. I'm still voting for Casavir, too. Just anxiously awaiting to see what happens next! :)
windsongspringheart chapter 50 . 2/11
The first part of this chapter was making me giggle quite a bit. Certainly brings back the times when we were young and had fun. If you want my opinion, though, I do agree with Elanee. She's young and can have her fun but Bishop is definitely not keeper material and Casavir is. Unfortunately, I know that one from experience. But anyway, I found the end of this chapter extremely fascinating because I almost always prefer playing a sorceress and to find that she's more powerful than she realized is so awesome!
windsongspringheart chapter 36 . 2/5
I just wanted to comment on this chapter as I move ahead with catching up on the rest of it. I was thinking as I was reading your description of the shard taking over her with such raw power how awesome it would be if after you've completed this one you go on to keep writing about the sequel to the original campaign since it's a direct plot on that. I'd find it amazing that she's all drunk with power on this, but then it getting taken from her like that would be too cool. I do hope that you have that planned down the line :)
windsongspringheart chapter 24 . 1/28
I'll admit to being sad Qara won't be in this story, but so relieved you didn't include Grobnar. He's useless and not funny like I think they were trying to intend. Really enjoying the story so far and can't wait to finish catching up to what's already been published :)
Winged twlight chapter 75 . 11/20/2014
Hello there. I've been reading this story for the past few months and I have to say your an amazing writer. I really enjoyed reading this story. That being said their are a few things I have to get off my chest. There are two things that made be turned off by this fan fiction. For one you made Bishop a terrible man slut. It really was to much. Second I loved the characters in the beginning but as the story went on they became very angst and all their personalities changed. I ended up not liking any of the characters. But that being said you are an amazing writer that's so talented. I was hooked on the story for months. Thank you for writing it.
Wingedtwilight chapter 45 . 10/3/2014
Oh my gosh! I loved this chapter so much! It's so amazing your amazing WOW
Winged Twilight chapter 27 . 9/17/2014
I absolutely loved Bishop's part in this chapter I can't wait for more!
WingedTwilight chapter 15 . 9/4/2014
I love your story! I've been reading a little every day and just enjoying it immensely! Thank you!
veritasargent chapter 75 . 8/10/2014
I'm still reading, and glad to have another post after so long. :)

If my vote counts for anything I want her to love them both but choose Casavir in the end.
Ann6022 chapter 75 . 7/9/2014
I didn't notice right away that you'd updated the story, but I'm sure happy you're returning to it! It would have been such a shame to leave the story hanging! ;)

The chapter started nicely with showcasing the transformation in Phaedra throughout the fic, which is just really remarkable. I've expressed this before, but her transition from innocent idealism to coldly practical rationality, when faced with the harshness of commanding a force going to war, has been so very believable and heart-wrenching. As a theme carrying through the story, that development has gradually gained momentum, and really makes the story better the further it goes. The large scale of the story helps give the proper feel of magnitude to all of that, and Phaedra's is a story that has definitely touched me - you can be sure that I'm excited to see how her story will go on!

I liked how you included some of the companions to the trip to Neverwinter, and Karnwyr's presence was a nice way to include Bishop in the chapter... since I definitely find his relationship with Phaedra very interesting, and am waiting to see where it goes! Also, the reference to Karnwyr's being a softie was such a nice flash back to the 'old Phaedra'. I like how the old and new her seem separate, in a way, but still the same - throughout everything, she's still fundamentally the same and there are some clearer flashes to how she's still the 'old her'.

I kind of felt the development with Casavir was slightly rushed: seeing how long the relationship between him and Phaedra has stagnated, it felt like the sudden bound was huge and a bit too quickly brought by. On another note, I really loved the flow in your description of the initial battle in Castle Never, and Aribeth's cameo was so nice! It'll be nice to see how these developments affect Phaedra. Great job with the story, I'm definitely waiting for continuation!

((One comment about the writing though - I feel like it would be easier to read the story if you chopped up some of the sentences a bit. It's nothing serious, but limiting slightly the number of clauses you're joining together could enhance the overall experience ;) ))
emeraldwarhorse chapter 1 . 7/4/2014
600 hundred thousand words... holy hell
Gaspode chapter 75 . 6/30/2014
This is such a bizarre episode in the game. The KC is desperately trying to ready the keep for the coming invasion and therefore also for the defence of Neverwinter. Yet Nasher calls her to the city for a spot of ceremony. To top it off they go on about the defence of Neverwinter and how important it is. I can't help feeling they are sending out mixed signals here.

I'm so glad you let Phaedra bring some companions. That was another very strange plot point.

As you have written it, this really is a story about alienation, how duty can make you lose touch with who you are and even life itself. We may know in our hearts that it is our friends and family that makes us strong yet for many of us, withdrawing from them is the first thing we do when the pressure of duty becomes too great.

I'm not convinced that Casavir would be good for Phaedra, he's wrestling with too many ghosts himself and his image of her is unrealistic. He is all about the spiritual when Phaedra really seems to need a dose of 'down to earth'. That said I think she spurned him for the wrong reasons and I doubt Shandra would have wanted it that way. I feel so sad for both her and Casavir. A nice piece of tragedy.

Aribeth was another nice touch. Her presence is entirely logical and neatly bypasses the dungeon crawl of the game. Perhaps thanks to her, Phaedra might get some hope. Also is it me or does she seem to view her friends in a slightly new light a the end of the chapter?

I can't speak for the others but I'm with you to the end, even if it takes another few years. ;-)
Anchev chapter 75 . 6/28/2014
Nice to see that the story is not dead. I read it a long time ago (before I wrote any reviews at all), so I don't remember all the details, but I liked it. The background with Esmerelle and Garius is interesting, it makes the whole trouble a lot more personal to Phaedra.

At first it bothered me a bit that she is only 16 years old, because I can't imagine that any person this age is capable of handling so much, but it fits to the character. Phaedra seems very human, with her weaknesses and doubts, especially that she is so dependent on her companions. But relying on Bishop of all people? Damn, that girl is in trouble, and the King of Shadows might not be her biggest problem.

I'm looking forward to read more.
Gaspode chapter 74 . 7/12/2013
Welcome back!

The whole first section with Casavir’s regrets, his doubts and his memory of his last meeting with Shandra is beautiful and absolutely spot on. I feel sorry for him yet at the same time I’m glad Shandra said the things she said. Casavir is using his faith and tragic past as excuses for not getting involved in life.

“He swore roughly, but obeyed, after waiting just long enough to make it insubordinate, and stalked away into the shadows. Casavir couldn't help but wonder why he had reacted so strongly, of all of them.” I always wondered the same. Bishop who supposedly doesn’t care for anybody is the loudest with his demands of justice. It’s these little contradictions that pop up every now and then in the game, that make him such an intriguing character. A part of me hopes this was the writers’ intentions. Another more cynical part suspects it was sloppy writing. Either way it makes for an interesting character.

Oh I was so happy to hear Phaedra put Zhjaeve in her place. That woman annoys me immensely and whilst you certainly made her interesting you also brought to the fore how sinister she actually is.

The second half of the paragraph, where Phaedra kisses Bishop is another powerful piece of writing. I can taste their desperation and the primeval needs that drive them. And yes Bishop, “I will have you, princess” is called giving away the game.

You capture Ammon Jerro’s total disregard for anything but the battle with the King of Shadows so well. It’s cruel and chilling. Phaedra’s gradual falling apart is becoming more apparent. It is a very interesting tale of how duty can destroy, that you weave, the brutal sacrifice of the one to save the many.
Ann6022 chapter 74 . 6/25/2013
With the long break in updating the story, I wasn't actively waiting for continuation, but man, was I completely hyped when I noticed the update! :D The long wait was definitely worth it - for me, this chapter was a wonderful surprise treat just before leaving on a month-long vacation without Internet access (read as: fanfiction access :P).

You really did a great job at picturing the emotions following the events of the last chapter; Phaedra's (and Casavir's) anguish and regret feel so palpable when reading, and it's great that such emotions get more room in this story than they did in-game; overall, the game pretty much brushed off the effect of the multitude of losses the PC experiences - throughout the course of this story, you've done a great job in depicting this aspect of the story really well, making things seem more realistic :)

Learning more about Phaedra's origins was very interesting, as well as seeing her reaction to it; somehow, all the recent events seem to have sealed the change in her character, as the ending of the chapter established. Even though the changes in her character have been pretty clearly apparent, this chapter had me wondering at how much Phaedra really has changed. Contrasting her newly found capability to be venomous etc with her earlier characteristics - seeing the lost innocence - is quite sad. It makes me feel so sorry for her, seeing how much she's been through. I think you've done a wonderful job at making it possible to invest emotionally in her character.

I loved how you highlighted Ammon's alignment; in-game, by the time he joins the party, him being evil feels like a slight exaggeration, but depicting the full extent of his ruthlessness and lack of remorse makes it feel a bit more justified. Overall, the depiction of all the characters was great in this chapter. I especially liked Bishop's comment of not being able to escape, too - such subtleties are very interesting.

I'm definitely hoping to continue reading this story till the very end, keep up the great work! :)