Reviews for The Torches of Other Worlds
I am a huge BSG fan and don’t know how I missed your stories when they were first published but I did. I have just spent a couple of weeks reading Siren’s Kiss and this one in my spare time. They are truly epic stories of a conflict that is told not through the repeated battles of two enemies but by the humans and cylons who fight them and how their lives are impacted just like the television series tried to do. When you did write about the battles though I felt like I was watching a war movie. Verbal CGI. :-)

Both stories had the potential to devolve into mushy romance but never did which is part of what makes them so readable. I don’t think I’ve ever enjoyed reading anything as much as I enjoyed the part about Kara’s quest at the beginning of this story to find and rescue her father and her adventures along the way plus the way you tied it to the adventure story she had read as a young teenager.

I applaud you for keeping the points of view limited and letting us get to know the many other players through the eyes of the main ones. We get flawed but real characters both human and cylon whose lives are played out against the much broader background of their struggle to survive and continue their species. I’m sure I’ll reread both these stories when I need a BSG fix.
This is very late for me to say it but I enjoyed thoroughly both your long stories. They were exciting, thrilling, and written so well. I love your Kara, especially the dynamic you created between her and the men in her life—Lee, Karl, Hunter, Noel, Dwight and especially her 2 fathers (bio and step).

Thank you for such an awesome AU read.
I’ve been racking my brain to try to find words to use in my review for this story and the one before it. So here goes: Extremely well-written, imaginative, true to character, well-plotted and paced, and memorable, so memorable. The characters just came alive for me. They weren’t perfect people but who of us is? They were real and not the charicatures that often populate fan fic. You made me care about their fates. You made me laugh and cry but most of all you made me fall in love with Kara and Lee all over again.

I know I will revisit both stores in the future. So say we all. :D
Oh man, what a great story. I have spent the last month reading both your epics as time permitted. Paced myself because I didn’t want to devour too much at a time and wanted to think about the action and different but similar roads everyone took as opposed to the series. You have taken characters that mostly lost their way in the series and told a tale of how I wish their lives had gone especially Kara and Lee. A wonderful entertaining story. I hope you write more.
Okay, I have to say right now, officially, that this story and Sirens Kiss are some of the BEST fan fic I've ever read! The descriptions, the attention to detail, the understanding of the characters - it's so amazingly descriptive that it all played like a movie in my mind! Thank you so much for writing this, and for erasing the horrible Lee/Kara ending we got in the series – Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
Guest chapter 80 . 9/11/2014
Let me say that as good as Siren’s Kiss was, IMO this story is better in that it doesn’t focus so much on Kara and Lee but expands to cover more of the conflict between the humans and their cylon children.

Everything was portrayed realistically and we see that there are no pure heroes or pure villains. Nobody sails through the story pain free or mistake free. We get a sense of how everyone was affected by the past and we watch them grow and change which includes some of the cylons. We see good and honorable men and women make bad choices and suffer the consequences yet we see the underlying theme of redemption and forgiveness and of course hope for a better future in the image of all the children playing together at the end.

This is epic storytelling that doesn’t focus exclusively on war and battles but on the people who fight those wars and how it affects their lives. It doesn’t matter if they are on the front lines of the fighting or back on Caprica dealing with the political fallout from the losses. There was definitely the potential for the story to bog down or meander off into a dozen insignificant and distracting subplots which I’ve seen happen too many times in fics of this scale, but you controlled the povs and kept the plot moving along.

Humans and cylons both died but you didn’t gratuitously kill anyone just for the shock value. You also resisted the temptation to get preachy about religion and politics and other hot button issues and instead left it to the reader to interpret those major forces on the characters and the story. Good job on all fronts. I’ve added you to my favorite authors and this to my favorite stories. I’m sure I’ll revisit both stories in the future. Now I’m going to quit before this review gets longer than your epic. :)
DreamChaser chapter 80 . 9/10/2014
While I’m very pleased with the way this story ended, I'm so sad to be at the end because I want it to continue. The syllabus for my Lit class this semester isn’t nearly so interesting. LOL Really.

Here are my highlights. Kara’s adventures with Hunter were so well done. I felt like I was with them every step of the way to Hunter’s valley home and while she lived there. One of Lee’s experiences while he was on the Penelope was heartstopping. Everything that happened to John both good and bad. Poor guy/Lucky guy (you know what I mean). Same for Laura. Jade was fascinating and Natalie, wow did you flesh her out from the series. I always thought she was a good Cylon. I’m glad you think so too. You totally nailed Romo Lampkin who I just adore. Totally. I could go on and on but you get the picture.

I hope you continue writing if not for this fandom then for some other or else professionally. You are an excellent story teller (as another reviewer noted). You drew me in from the first chapter of Sirens Kiss and kept me reading until the end of this sequel. Please. Keep. Writing.
Guest chapter 80 . 9/7/2014
I'm on my phone right now, so this review will be short. A well written story. I really enjoyed it. The Lee/Kara romance was believable and very well done. I liked the other characters and the plot was riveting. Please say you are continuing it.
Guest chapter 80 . 9/1/2014
Just spent a couple weeks rereading your stories including your academy fic and it was totally worth it. You're a super writer and you know the BSG characters inside and out to capture their voices as perfectly as you do. I know it's been a couple of years since you finished these fics, but for us lovers of BSG they’re as fresh as when you wrote them. I appreciate how you wrote everyone as younger yet kept them near canon in character. OOC doesn’t cut it for this reader and will cause me to drop a fanfic quicker than anything else except atrocious grammar and lots of misspelled words. You can put the characters in all kinds of new and different situations but as long as you don’t take them out of character then I am a happy camper. You managed to skillfully keep them series ready in your AU world.

Just thought I should let you know what a good job you did on all counts. I’ll be back in another year or two to read again since this is one of my favorite fandoms and this is one of my favorite stories :)
Guest chapter 80 . 8/29/2014
I figured out why I enjoyed this so much. It’s written from several points of view but alternating like scenes in the series and tells their thoughts. I just...love Kara and Lee...so much...thanks again!
Guest chapter 80 . 8/18/2014
I’m ruined for reading BSG stories now cause I don’t think anything can top this one. What a fantastic sequel to the first part aka Siren’s Kiss. Now my boyfriend is reading and really getting into it. LOL I told him this wasn’t ALL Kara-Lee mush and romance and has lots of adventure and thought provoking stuff just like the series. It stays mostly true to the characters but without being so much gloom and doom and melodrama in personal relationships. I hated hated hated the love triangles and quadrangles of the series. It was so un-necessary to tell the story and by the end was so distracting. Not that I’m suggesting it but this story really should be P2P so more readers can enjoy it.
Guest chapter 80 . 6/19/2014
Great story! You brought this world and everyone in it totally alive for me. Please write more.
Just a Crazy-Man chapter 80 . 6/5/2014
Nice
Guest chapter 80 . 4/22/2014
Wow! This story and the one before it are great. I loved reading every minute of them. I hurried some because I kept wanting to see what happened next. I was reading mainly for Kara and Lee but got caught up in John and Laura's story too. I especially liked the way Kara's relationship with her father evolved from the time he rescued her off Picon. Again my hats off to you. Two great pieces of writing. Please share more with us.
magdalena2122 chapter 80 . 4/10/2014
I love this story as much as the first. From the obvious awesomeness, down to the subtle jokes at the expense of canon, it was truly fantastic. Thank you for leaving Kara and Lee in a better place than in the series... I was always pulling for them, but they had so many strikes against them. You've written them a new story that allows them to beat those odds without being cheesy, cliched, or too fluffy about it, and I think it's wonderful.