Reviews for Of Mirrors
MaryChapel chapter 8 . 3/14
This was so sweet and good. Thank you so much.
Excellent story. Thanks.
Galadriela chapter 8 . 2/17
Wow... I TOTALLY LOVE LOVE LOVE IT. It is certainly one of the best Star Trek fics I've ever read (maybe it's even the best), you should be so proud of yourself! You wrote the characters beautifully, they are so real! I love McCoy and I think that his relationship with Spock is just gorgeous. So I read quite a lot about them, but this fic is particularly awesome. :) I really loved when you wrote that McCoy is a counselor, a personal friend to all 430 members of the crew, that everyone can tell him everything and he never lockes his door. It was so like McCoy, I really can image this, but never before have I thought about his relationship with the unknown members of the crew, I find it wonderful, thanks for that. I liked how you wrote the situation on the Bridge, and I also liked your Uhura as a sister for everyone. Any sign of emotions from Spock is highly diserable and you didn't let me down! You showed that he has some emotions inside him. :) I was surprised that you added Scotty to the story, but it was a great addition! I'm not sure if they would really tell Scotty about McCoy, it was something incredibly personal and I'm pretty sure they would keep it secret from the rest of the crew, even from a friend, who Scotty surely is. But I understand you wanted to add a Klingon attack or something like that, but you changed your mind. But I must tell you that I didn't expect something like such an attack and yet his presence there didn't occur to me as something very strange, so if you didn't mention that you were going to use Scotty for something different, I wouldn't even realise. He belonged there, really, and he played his role. The best thing was the ending. :D It was perfect. And „To blazes with logic”... yay! I LOVED IT (perhaps I use the word „love” too often, I should limit it... but sometimes you can't use a different word!). And the part written from Scotty's point of view was so great and well written! Actually, this whole fic was EXTREMELY WELL WRITTEN! Simply brilliant. You've got a talent! This was sweet and awesome. AWESOME. Yes. That's it, I simply wanted you to know that I loved it. Sorry for my babble. (And for mistakes, English is not my first language). Bye! ;)
Ersatz Einstein chapter 8 . 11/29/2014
Grammatical errors ("the crew though him"), I found this a satisfying conclusion. The decision to bring in an outside observer at the last minute seemed questionable to me at the time, but it created an appropriate lens through which to view the final actions of the three major characters.
Ersatz Einstein chapter 7 . 11/29/2014
Huh. Normally that sort of insane, last-minute plan would be Kirk's rather than McCoy's. It does suit the circumstances, though. The sudden shift into dramatic action was a bit out of keeping with the rest of the story, but I suppose that it was necessary for the climax.
Ersatz Einstein chapter 6 . 11/29/2014
Indeed, you seem to have a talent for appropriate cliffhangers. I'm looking forward to a hopefully forthcoming explanation of the whispers.
Ersatz Einstein chapter 5 . 11/29/2014
There were a couple of errors ("in and out focus," "before he had let his mind atrophy," "un-Spock like," "insulting reference to his McCoy," etc.), but I was captivated by your opening image of Kirk. (I've often done the same thing in a moment of distraction.)
I also enjoyed the brief moment of bickering before the darker tone of the fic set in again. While it wasn't meant to be a dominant theme, the slight note of it in McCoy's realization that he's thinking a bit like Spock tied it nicely into the general scene.
Ersatz Einstein chapter 4 . 11/29/2014
The two separate mentions in two different places of McCoy's and Spock's mutual love of banter underscored the seriousness of their encounter nicely. Spock's calm control of the situation was, again, perfectly IC: I could picture him both handling it masterfully and inwardly seething.
Ersatz Einstein chapter 3 . 11/29/2014
The excessive description of their roles and personalities, particularly in the first paragraph, was a bit grating. However, the events of this scene progressed smoothly and naturally, and it's interesting to see how obvious it is, even to Kirk (although he hasn't done more than defer to his Science Officer) that Spock knows what the problem is.
Ersatz Einstein chapter 2 . 11/29/2014
I get that it's customary to use full names and titles when first introducing a character, but "Jim Kirk could tell that Leonard McCoy" was a bit awkward, and there were a couple of minor technical/grammatical errors ("They were artist's hands," "not like Kirk," "even seeing the man hardly at all," "seems to be avoiding, me," etc.).
The use of implication regarding the initial conversation with Spock (that his acquiescence was itself a sign of a problem) was both subtle and completely logical. Later, I think that Spock's terseness and close-mouthedness were very much IC. I wouldn't worry about writing him were I you.
Ersatz Einstein chapter 1 . 11/29/2014
I don't think that it's too dramatic, particularly for an introduction. (I'd note that "it's" should have an apostrophe in your note.) The shocky bits of emotion and experience suggest the trauma of the mind-meld more effectively than most I've seen on the subject. There were some slightly awkward bits ("cat-like grace"), but overall, you captured the scene beautifully. I particularly enjoyed the final sentence of the third-to-last paragraph.
guardianofdragonlore chapter 8 . 10/14/2014
I did not expect the story to turn out like this... not at all.
TheSovereigntyofReality chapter 3 . 7/29/2014
Beautifully done! It made me cry.
brightflare chapter 8 . 6/11/2014