Reviews for A Paper Wall
Firebird Scratches chapter 16 . 2/20
Wow. Read this all in one breathless sitting. So much depth is packed in here. At times, scared the shit out of me, at others made me laugh, and mostly made me feel for them...I think you've really gotten to the crux of Leo's issues here in a way that the actual canon didn't...his fear of losing them, fear of failure, but also the complete subsuming of his own identity - he really doesn't know who he IS if it's not "leader" and "protector" and "big brother." His sad idea that the only way he can show love to his family is by what he DOES for them, not just by being himself and loving them...and vice versa, that he fears they only love him for what he can DO, doesn't fully trust/accept that they love him just for being him, because without his responsibilities, he doesn't really KNOW who he is.

This is some deep shit, yo. LOL. And it's very well executed. Bravo!
Michael J Angelo chapter 16 . 11/18/2014
A cleverly written and poignant story, I certainly enjoyed reading this! I love the way you wrote the turtles settling into their new home, unhappy but doing their best to make it feel like home. Leo trying to reconnect with his brothers anew was also really sweet, and I just love the style this was written in!

Looking forward to reading more from you,
MJA
inujisan chapter 16 . 6/24/2013
this was beautiful. I love the character building here, and the slow process of learning to heal and rebuilding the bridges with your family. Home is more than something physical. It's too true.
Vela513 chapter 16 . 12/2/2012
This is such a beautiful story. I started loving it when the ghosts started to become more apparent. I love your ghosts. Somehow, this story seems to have all the best parts of the TMNT characters that I've been reading in all kinds of stories on all put together. I particularly admire your characterization of Raph: I recently read a story that absolutely mangled his dialogue attempting for accent. You made him a very real and intelligent player in the tale. I loved Donnie's battles with the generator and his power over the lights. Made me smile. That one scene with Mikey paralyzed stiff in bed because someone was telling him innocuous bedtime stories? Somehow Mikey always seems to be the best to make the ghosts come out to. Your Leo was perfect (finally putting words behind the usually overstereotyped angst) and Splinter wasn't an absentee father! Yay!
There's more to say, but... it's 4.30 am and I've not put this story down since I've started it... I'll mark ya down as 'Favorite', shall I?
Greenleek chapter 16 . 5/15/2011
Gosh, I just love your writing. I wasn't sure which story I wanted to leave this review under, then decided to post it with my favourite: Paper Wall. But really, all of your stories are wonderful. I love your clean, simple prose, so careful with its wording and so blessedly free of lavish purple description. I love how honestly you write the characters. They feel very true to their origins, their individual traits never over-embellished. You write humour that is genuinely funny and never OOC, and serious scenes with grace and poignancy.

In short, I love reading your stories. They make me love the TMNT all over again whenever I sit down with one. Thank you for writing them.
Allendra chapter 16 . 11/15/2010
That was a wonderful story! Although it has side plots, the main plot was simply character development, yet it still just pulled me in. I couldn't stop reading it! Your portrayal of the turtles is excellent, and your writing is fantastic!
calliopechild chapter 16 . 9/8/2010
Loved this, which seems to be the standard reaction to most of your stuff that I've read. This was a great look at Leo's homecoming, and I really enjoy fics like this that play with the spaces that are left in the show, all the potential that they don't do anything with (or, to be fair, don't have time to explore). You did a great job with all the guys, and poor Leo...his sense of loss and aimlessness was really tangible and hard to read.

I especially like the way you wrote this like one long, blended series of vignettes; it's a great style, and you pull it off really well. It's something I'd like to try myself, but since I tend more towards rambling (as you can probably tell from this review), I doubt I'd pull it off as well. ;b

I was just about to write that I really, really want a sequel, and see how things move forward from here, and then I checked your page and saw that there already IS a sequel! And my night was made. _ So now I'm off to read that.

Thank you again for a lovely read; the tone is such that it all ended perfectly, and it gives the satisfaction of a story well-ended. Great job.
AlexHamato chapter 16 . 7/2/2010
*sobs* its over! i'm so disappointed and yet i too have to let go... beautiful doesn't even cover it... thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you a thousand times over! a million! a billion! a google! an infinite amount of times over! i know now another way to write and hopefully am able to learn from you! i really really really really (you get it) loved this fic! this window to life! this... this... awesomeness! really i'm not one for words and since you seem to be, well use your imagination! it's evident that you have one! the plot all flowed together and merged and was flowing and... its late and i've never been more awake! i won't stalk you or anything i'll just go and read everything you have ever written... really i can't thank you enough for honoring me with this gift of the Hamato family! ... so awesome i don't know how to end so i wont! joking! i will on this screen but in my mind i'll still be thanking you and praising you... psycho neh? well i may be and i'm proud of it! mua ha ha!
AlexHamato chapter 14 . 7/2/2010
wow... its so hard not to cry... seriously the end... wow... you still amaze me oh my god this is so great! seriously you ever write a book i'll by it, shell i'll even sponsor you! they way the Hamato's and the ghosts interact is just... well beautiful isn't enough... awe-inspiring? no. amazing? no. powerfully awesome? closer. really it's just hard to say how awesomely awesome this chapter was! once again i just love how you portray all of the turtles, especially Mikey too many people make him to be nothing but a baby but we know that he is so much more :D
AlexHamato chapter 13 . 7/2/2010
i don't i can say how awesome you are enough... i believe that i have already said how you write something greater and deeper than fluff that is more 'real' and 'powerful' again and again i am please and honored to read this. really i'm totally not joking ;P i suppose i see that i am nearing the end of this story... *sob* reading stories like this let me escape my own life and enter one that i see as much better. i know i have things that the turtles may never have but they have something i have always needed. a family. i don't mean to complain but my so called 'family' is there but their not 'there'. hopefully when i move away i may find my true family like the turtles... aw but only in my fantasies :D
AlexHamato chapter 10 . 7/1/2010
ok i tried i really did! i know that i said this before but my will is diminishing over your powerful writing! seriously you slowly bring in the ghost with just hints of haunting and than BAM! really i want to start a supernatural story but it's not as awesomely written as this one. really its pretty obvious. Mikey to me as also been a like beacon for supernatural activity. i think that it's in his nature or something. i'm also glad that your not a dude that show's mikey as only a brainless happy-go-lucky soul who can never be worried or upset. really thats not 'real' and i love how his brothers interact with the ghost. ;D don is finally coming to the dark side ;D really i loved the end it made me laugh :P i've always wanted to use a wee-gee board but have been warned many times... so i haven't done it yet. i love the idea of the supernatural and you mix the turtles and this idea so well its awesome! i would go on but i really must continue reading... i am no addicted thank-you-very-much. no really thanks i was worried i leafed through the best fics.
AlexHamato chapter 9 . 7/1/2010
ha ha i got the joke :D like before you told me ;P anyways i'm reviewing AGAIN yes i know i'm insufferable but seriously dude you make that greatest scenes of brotherhood! i know that sound cheesy (because it is) but how do i put this... your scenes are more real in the sense that this is how real brothers act. i personally don't have much of a family so i over 'fluff' family scenes. i know others do the same but your stories are more 'real'. i need a story like this with this writing to bring my head down from the clouds of what i picture to be a 'perfect' family. either they're super close and fluffed or they're fighting each other. really this is the moderation of the two. there are no real huge fights but there is no true 'fluff'. its not cute and thats why i love it. real life isn't cute, especially their lives which i believe you are depicting beautifully.
AlexHamato chapter 8 . 7/1/2010
look i tried i really did but again it was the last line that sealed the deal there are others in the story that just made my heart spin and i probably sound like some kind of dazed lunatic... wait... that's actually a pretty accurate description. how do i even begin the awesomeness that was this chapter and that chapter before that and before that... and the chapters to come! like i said its soooo powerful! i can't wait to immerse myself in the turtles once again... if i said that anywhere but here i would be institutionalized.
AlexHamato chapter 7 . 7/1/2010
ok ok i know i probably bug you waaay too much but this is important i just realize that without being obvious about it something is happening! really not a lot of like action-y stuff is happening and yet i feel as if it is. i'm all exited and touched (in the heart) and happy and sad and well tons of things but your writing style is so simple... really it is just a few words to describe what's going on, how the characters are feeling, the surroundings. and i get it all! really it's quite amazing how simple and yet powerful your writing is! yup powerful is a good word. you are a POWERFUL writer! congrats! ;D
AlexHamato chapter 6 . 7/1/2010
really i'm sorry i just wanted to say how my heart soared with the last line! ok the only thing i can do is fluff but this is not fluff... its so much deeper and greater than that! you choose the exact perfect words do describe the relationships of the family! i really try i do but how long have you been writing? does it come with experience? i'd believe you if you'd say you were naturally talented. i see you group don/raph and mikey/leo a lot which is great since i see them as opposites yet certain aspects of them are identical. i don't think i can 'say' how i feel about this story... its simply a view into the world of the turtles' and it's done so beautifully...