Reviews for When the earth calls you down
Antosha Chekhonte chapter 1 . 9/21/2014
Man, pieces like this are exactly why I write in present third-person. I find it's easier to create a sense of urgency in present tense and third person allows a level of detachment- and once you do that, you can create a truly remarkable story, like this one. Your portrayal of them both is straightforward (in ways it's what we expect of a Cauthrien/Loghain piece), yet nuanced and delicate. You strike a good balance between those. And your language and imagery is gorgeous. I've been told I'm a good writer, but I don't think so. I envy people who can write some of the language and imagery in this piece.
arysani chapter 1 . 8/15/2010
Fantastic. Though I shouldn't've expected less. Building this idea of hero worship entwined with an intense gratitude lend themselves towards an inability to see the man for who he really is, but instead she finds in them an intense honesty. Your repeated "he creates" give me this fantastic mental image from "West Wing", an episode called "Two Cathedrals" where Martin Sheen is in a cathedral holding God accountable for all the things that have recently happened, speaking in parts in Latin to ensure he is "understood". It's an incredibly epic scene (even if you are entirely unfamiliar with the show & don't speak Latin, I think the way it plays out makes the emotions clear enough), and I feel that, with what you've written here, if Loghain were to be slain at the Landsmeet (or, actually, were he to die slaying the archdemon), that would be Cauthrien. She would be railing against him in a way he could not respond - saying she has done nothing but what he has bid and then he has to go and DO THAT or BE THAT and he has LEFT HER ALONE and that she cannot forgive.

(the youtube video is [slash]watch?vFScv89J6rro if you care to visualize what I'm going with here...)

Amazing, fantastic development of her character. (And you named her Brianna! Do you know George R.R. Martin's "A Song of Ice & Fire"? Cauthrien, you've just pointed out & illustrated, is very Brianna...in all these delicious complicated ways...though some of them may make Loghain Jaime and that would be...interesting yet appropriate in many ways as well...)

The above comparisons don't exist to diminish what you've written, but rather to point out to you how much this has made me THINK. Which is, for the most part, a good thing :oD Fantastic work, as always.
JessicaJones chapter 1 . 7/10/2010
I loved this too much when I first read it to actually review it.

Anything I say about it is just trite babbling about how awesome it is. So I'm just going to reprint my favorite line.

(Two hundred soldiers. Thirty-five widows, fifteen widowers. Three lieutenants. One king.)

Magnificent.
Marie chapter 1 . 6/14/2010
Very beautifully written :) I was definitely tearing up at the end
Persephone Chiara chapter 1 . 6/7/2010
So beautiful. Makes me want to cry. Dare one ask for more? I love Loghain and I'm still waiting for a Loghain Romance Mod to appear!
Piceron chapter 1 . 4/16/2010
I truly like the way you write. You have such description in your work. It draws me in almost like a spell. I love this piece, and I love your characterization of Loghain.
Aziethe chapter 1 . 3/10/2010
I almost feel sorry for Cauthrien! You've captured her and the relationship really well.
tjadis chapter 1 . 2/19/2010
Ah, this is lovely. I love the thematic elements of creation you've drawn through the story, and the way you've droawn both the darkness and light in both of them.

I have a fondness for Ser Cauthrien, because she is astonishingly competent and fiercely loyal. I think you've done both her and Loghain justice, here.
payroo chapter 1 . 1/27/2010
Guh, I can't decide if I hate it or love it when excellently-written fanfiction makes me reconsider my stance on characters I was so adamantly sure I hated in-game. You write like watercolors, so shifting and pretty.
Midnight Strike chapter 1 . 1/21/2010
This is really beautiful.

I was actually able to see Loghain through her eyes and look past my own impressions.
Arsinoe de Blassenville chapter 1 . 1/20/2010
Beautiful and extraordinary.
Sianie chapter 1 . 1/18/2010
Couldn't bring myself to kill Cauthrien in the game; this is brilliantly written, by the way. An interesting take on fanfiction that isn't all "and then Alistair and self insert had sex."

Nicely done!
Abydos Jackson chapter 1 . 1/18/2010
Without doubt one of the best examples of fan fiction I've read (and I've been reading it for 10 years!). I can only hope that one day I'll be able to emmulate your use of language and lyrical the quality of your writing. Loved it.
Madcat Capers chapter 1 . 1/17/2010
Nicely done; quite poetic in its way. I like the dark feel and the humanity you portray in Cauthrien.
socialkombat chapter 1 . 1/17/2010