Reviews for Five Lessons
guest chapter 1 . 12/10/2013
I agree, this is a very good description of Merlin from Arthur's POV
KrisEleven chapter 1 . 3/26/2012
Perfect! I loved the lessons in each of them, and I think you captured the characters perfectly!

In Uther's this /line/, oh my god: "so he drowned his memories of her in blood and fire until he could look at Arthur and see only his son, not hers." If that isn't /everything/ Uther, than nothing is. Him executing Arthur's nurse and Gaius' voice, unheeded, in the background were very chilling.

Morgana's was excellent and showed their age, when this is set. It shows how much they did love each other, and has bitter undertones for what will come, setting the stage for that as well. Even as they love each other.

The knights was an excellent study of Arthur. I wish it had been set in a time where we could have seen Lancelot or Gwaine, but I loved the moment he took command, and how we see his self-consciousness and his goodness here.

Merlin's was perfection. I loved the idea that he has to protect Merlin from himself. Honestly, the boy is a walking disaster, and Arthur usually is seen mocking this; I loved how you had him almost worry about it, without losing the ridicule that is canon. I love when pieces show Arthur reciprocating Merlin's friendship without getting OoC-sappy about it, and you did this perfectly. THIS line TOO: " Arthur remembered that half-finished conversation in Ealdor before the battle. He also remembered the panic that had gripped him when he saw magic on display, before Will had claimed it as his own, because of what it must not, could not mean." The link back to the first lesson and how, even if Arthur suspected, at this point he would not admit it, even to himself... Lovely.

Lastly, Gwen. Their romance is lovely and rose-coloured and all that goodness. I like how you explored it, and you did the characters justice.

Great work, a definite favourite. Thanks!
Tony WildRiver chapter 1 . 7/30/2011
LOL! This whole thing was well-written and the ending was beautiful, but oh man, the Merlin section was hysterical (particularly the first two paragraphs). We laughed out loud. Thanks for adding to the length of my life. Excellent work _
Samwise O'Keefe chapter 1 . 4/28/2011
Nice to consider events from a different person's point of view, thank you.
zammierox chapter 1 . 4/9/2011
ok I admit I only read the Sir Pwyll and Merlin ones smiles sheepishly but those were really good! lol: "Merlin had taken it into his head to run into a tree"
Pluma Desatada chapter 1 . 2/26/2011
oh you BRILLIANT, BRILLIANT PERSON.

This fic...

I can't even

I've no words. Lemme try again.

Beautiful, poignant, thought-provoking.

Striking.

It's not angst exactly, more like ... wistful? melancholic?

I dunno. I just can't stop loving it.

I wish ff-net allowed a star system. I'd give it 6 out of 5.
emlet chapter 1 . 6/22/2010
brilliant! this story is simply wonderful. it is extremely well written and has really good characterisation! Love it! I love the way you write arthur! good insights into his thoughts.
Jessica chapter 1 . 6/15/2010
Thank you for this piece of writing - it is of such unexpectedly excellent quality! Insightful, sympathetic, light-handed but moving, it steers clear of all the traps of vulgarity so much fanfiction falls into.

I'll be keeping my eye out for more of your stories.
MerlinStar chapter 1 . 4/14/2010
Magnificently written, very reflective and a believable insight into Arthur's feelings. I really enjoyed reading this!
Sweet Ginger Snap chapter 1 . 2/7/2010
What a sweet story! Wonderfully detailed and believable.
cassierigum chapter 1 . 1/19/2010
Wow. I really enjoyed this. It is the second Merlin fic I've read (the first being a rather odd, AU, multi-chapter fic...) but I really, really enjoyed this.

Very well written, a lovely idea, and very true to Arthur, I think... or maybe just a little nicer than he deserves :p

I loved the ending. No, wait, I loved the whole thing. When (...if?) I write Merlin fic, I want it to be just like yours. Except, of course, different.

A very good job.
White As Snow chapter 1 . 1/19/2010
By far one of the best character studies of Arthur that I have read. (: It was sweet and sad, especially the first two.
Sternenlicht chapter 1 . 1/19/2010
nice one! I loved the description of Arthur growing up, with the emphasis on the five points. In particular the one with the leperous knight was incredibly well done, the characterization was wonderfully right on the spot.
ForzaDelDestino chapter 1 . 1/19/2010
Excellent work! I enjoyed this very much. Well-written and witty. Great job.
unicorndiva chapter 1 . 1/19/2010
Great job! this was very enlightening.