Reviews for Never Argue Morality With A Monk
Guest chapter 1 . 7/7/2015
Quick note before I start this review: I read Duty Vs. Love and absolutely loved it so I am now currently going through all of your ATLA fanfics.
Now, I'm probably gonna get my ass kicked philosophically, but towards the end where Sokka is getting frustrated and says that it's the Avatar's job to maintain balance so therefore if he tells the Firelord to wipeout the other nations it would be wrong because he's upsetting the balance in the world and Aang accuses him of contradicting himself; I disagree. Sokka isn't contradicting himself solely because his whole argument is that anything the Avatar does is morally sound so long as it is in the name of balance; to loosely quote Avatar Yangchen, the Avatar's to sole duty is to the world and therefore everything in the Avatar's power should be done for the sake of the world. Sokka being like any regular person that has lived through the war for more than a year and has suffered because of it would obviously think that the only possible solution is to kill Ozai because it's the only way to subdue him. It's like Duty Vs. Love in a way; decades after the war ended Azula was still bent on revenge because she's one of the people in the Avatar universe that's on the side of great evil simply because that's all she knows. Aang kills her and it's by accident because it was the only way to subdue her and finally have her stop her vengeful antics. It's like what Katara said; she couldn't have enjoyed her life because all she would just end up doing, had she lived, is going after them all over again because that's how she's wired, it's all she knows. Now how this relates to the whole morality of killing Ozai: Ozai was brought up in a world at war, war was all he knew because of that he became hell bent on his lust for power and it became his goal in life - to gain power. Iroh is different because while he was raised just as Ozai was; Iroh suffered a loss due to the war and in the words of Avatar Aang in LOK, it's when we hit our lowest point we are open to the greatest change. So back to my original point; ATLA made me live life like an Airbender, to remember that everyone has their hardships and find ways to deal with situations in ways that are morally sound and fair. In The Phoenix King I was team Aang, that meaning I was against him killing Ozai. However for this particular fanfic I understand Sokka's point and don't think he's contradicting himself. Aang is the Avatar it's his duty to maintain balance, so therefore anything he does is for the sole purpose of balance. Should he hypothetically have the two remaining cultures killed off would be morally incorrect because Aang would be the one contradicting himself because his morals revolve around balance. All Ozai knows is to gain power and all he sought in life was power. Before all this knowledge of soulbending, killing Ozai seems like the only possible way to subdue him. In a sense, it still is the only way to subdue him because any leader in a war has followers after he is defeated. Yes, according to any regular person's morals killing would be wrong no matter what the circumstance, but Aang is no regular person and his purpose is to do his Avatar thing and maintain balance. Killing Ozai would have been okay because we can't forget that people like Admiral Zhao still exist, and no one knows if there was a pro-Ozai movement or something that could've caused an uprising and initiated the war all over again. (Plot Twist: Yakone is actually pro-Ozai and because of the way he raised his sons to believe in superiority Noatok/Amon fought for true equality in the world #itsallconnected o.O) In a sense Aang was extremely lucky because assuming this didn't happen, he was able to live in a world where he has no blood on his hands because of his duty as the Avatar. If he killed Ozai it would've worked out fine too, for the world not himself. Killing Ozai would kill any opportunity for an uprising therefore maintaining absolute balance, Sokka's point is that Aang's entire existence is to maintain balance so if he killed Ozai it would've been morally sound because it's in the name of balance, that being Ozai's death would benefit all the nations. Bottom line is balance is doing something that'll benefit all four nations since Aang is the Avatar anything he does will forever be morally sound to the people of the world simply because it's his job to seek out the interests of the people as a whole as opposed to him taking it a million steps further and seeking out the interests of every single person. *cue Sokka meme from The Blind Bandit where he's like Water Tribe*
Dave chapter 1 . 5/3/2015
I just wanted to say that this write-up/fan-fiction is so closely related to me (especially at the moment of reading it). And Thank you for this because it was so enjoyable. But this scene where Aang is the only one who has a problem with ending Ozai's life stuck me so much when I first saw it. It made me realize the extreme value of a human's life, and later let me explore pacifism (which was consolidated through reading on Gandhi, and even more, at the moment, through a Christian perspective, which I took for an argumentative paper). In my first year of college, I am in a philosophy class, and while looking for my spiritual disciplines study, (or maybe it was for my English paper on Christian Pacifism) I stumbled upon this. We did the exact reading on Socrates when he is defending himself, and when reading this (before seeing the LES on the bottom) it kept reminding me of it. My paper (which I should be working on) for philosophy is part on Socrates speaking truth to power, and this post made everything feel so real and complete to me. This is just so awesome to me, the combination of ATLA (my favorite show) and one of my favorite subjects, Philosophy (I'll probably switch into a minor for it).
Guest chapter 1 . 12/3/2014
Aang has taken many lives before. Those soldiers at the Northern Air Temple fell to their deaths when he knocked their machines off the cliffside with his air bending.

He sank and destroyed multiple warships at the North Pole so hundreds of sailors and soldiers died. The Ocean Spirit had control of his mind and actions but still utilized his body as a vessel to act in the physical world also he activated the Avatar State himself to merge forms with the spirit.

He also struck down and killed the buzzard wasp that attacked Momo in the desert. He already saved the lemurcat but still pursued and killed the creature.

Also he has hurled fire benders like rag dolls, overturned tanks, brought down airships and catapulted komdo dragons wiith their riders. I doubt all those soldiers survived.
RobinaRain chapter 1 . 4/26/2013
Yeah, go Aang! This story made me laugh quite a few times. At the end I had tears in my eyes, still do actually.
MeLaNch0LYdreams chapter 1 . 5/26/2010
whoa man!
LivingInMyOwnFantasy chapter 1 . 1/26/2010
i love it i am so like aang in this story i love messing with people's minds like that well written nice plot
Afriel chapter 1 . 1/23/2010
I'm a free thinker, and I rather believe more in survival of the fittest kind of thing. Like if someone is the strongest or richest, or most connections, or most rhetoric kind of thing, that person would get to rule. So, to me, Aang can basically do most whatever he wants, simply because he is the Avatar, the most powerful being there.

But I like how this story flows, and how it shows the values of Sokka (and most other people then) and Aang. Too bad Aang was the Avatar and the desicion lies with him ulitmately. And that Aang grew up in a Air Temple with philosphy everyday. Sokka can never win
Invaderk chapter 1 . 1/21/2010
Ooh, Aangcrates! I liked this. You put an interesting spin on political theory by making it relevant to something we ALL (or, at least, anyone who would ever read this) find interesting! Nice work. :D
things24 chapter 1 . 1/21/2010
XD He IS Socates in this story. It'll be VERY unfortunate if he was killed for that, lol. But Aang is right about widsom.
Hellas chapter 1 . 1/20/2010
Nice little story... and I can understand the paradox of Aang's situation.

Btw... a previous friend of mine used to have that saying on msn, yahoo or facebook... 'Wisdom is knowing that you know nothing' and I gotta tell ya... it bugged the heck out of me. Why? Because even though she had that saying everywhere... she hated it when I asked questions to things that already had an accepted answer... I hate hypocrites I guess... :)
randompandattack chapter 1 . 1/20/2010
Kind of an interesting coincidence because i had been thinking of writing something like this only with Zuko and Aang, and Zuko would win the argument. Your story was interesting though.

However I don't really think Aang would say anything like that sorry, seemed really OOC to me. Also I don't really think Sokka thinks w/e Aang says is right is right. He agrees with Aang alot (such as the southern raiders episode) but i don't think he automatically thinks hes right. Sorry for the criticism and the long review.
Avare Rose chapter 1 . 1/20/2010
I really enjoyed this! I had never thought about the moral authority of the avatar before- if moral goodness is a property which simply exists in the Avatar universe, and the Avatar embodies it, or if the Avatar defines that property. Ethical Realism vs Divine Command Theory, much? Poor Sokka, always contradicting his own character.