Reviews for Problematique
WholesomeToast chapter 1 . 1/10/2013
I food this last year and loved it! Still do! It is one of my favorite Joker origin stories!

I also love They're Coming to Take Me Away, Ha Ha! The version I enjoy the most is the one by NeuroticFish. Someone made an excellent music video to Dark Knight footage using this one, and I've loved it ever since; it is truly a Joker themesong!

Thank you for this marvelous work. The descriptions were fantastic!

Not Enough Answers chapter 1 . 12/14/2012
Wow-this is a really intriguing fic. We get to learn a bit more about the Joker's past, but it's still ambiguous...what we do learn is pretty disturbing (needless to say). I loved how your incorporated the Joker card into it, and the line "A set of likely challenges that the, uh, the world...might face in the near future" when she asked what he saw in the cards gave me chills. Great job!
MissBliss8527 chapter 1 . 10/17/2011
They're coming to take me away, haha, to the happy home, with trees and flowers and chirping birds, and basket weavers that sit and smile, and twiddle their thumbs and toes and they're coming to take me away, haha!
Lady Angelic chapter 1 . 8/22/2011
Beautiful. Quite literally, the single most stunning piece on the Joker I have ever read. It left me breathless and inspired. Please, continue writing.
StupidGord chapter 1 . 1/21/2010
Here I am, your personal heaven-bearer! :P

I love this story - it's a pretty fresh view on the Joker's beginning; it's not too descriptive about his past, and he's still not full-out ... um, Joker :) Nice work!
kriitikko chapter 1 . 1/21/2010
Ah. Well, that's certainly an interesting possibility for the origin of TDK Joker. I wonder if what he imagined was a real memory or just first of the billions origins he would create for himself. I think you left this purposely unclear and I congratulate you for that. Unclear history is the magic of TDK Joker.

I have no idea where this came from (aside of your dark and spooky mind or course) but good job anyways. It was a nice read and certainly will please TDK Joker fans. I do wonder if the doctor was meant to be nameless OC or certain Harlene...
HoistTheColours chapter 1 . 1/21/2010
Lorien Urbani, you wrote a Joker one-shot! *Squee!*

This was a very interesting piece. Your writing is like nothing I've ever read before - it was very unique, very abstract and sometimes hard to understand - but that's why I liked it.

You had some beautifully worded sentences in here that I firstly must point out: 'He curled all of his fingers but the index finger into a loose fist. He looked at his index finger as if he was studying it and then, he slowly lifted it towards his mouth and touched his skin,' and 'He positioned his finger below his left ear and slowly moved it along the fleshy ridge, across his lips and across another fleshy ridge.' -I could picture this action happening so clearly in my head, it was SO amazing. You described that perfectly, the way his hand curled into a loose fist all but his index finger, and then how he ran that across his scars, feeling and touching his new smile for the very first time. It gives me the chills just thinking about it. It was one of those moments where you just have to hold your breath and wait for his reaction, you know?

'He chuckled silently, caressing the interior of his mouth. It felt the same, only that the flesh was slippery and deceptively soft.' -Ugh. The imagery you created here was just again, SO amazing. This was probably my favorite line out of this whole one shot. You picked the perfect vocabulary to word that sentence.

‘She did not taste like cherries anymore, nor did she smell like flowers. Now she was just copper and decay, rotten cherries and fading flowers.’ -Again with the imagery. You seem to have a talent for painting such dark images and metaphors with so little words.

‘“Figure me out,” he rasped, popping his lips playfully.’ -I LOVE that ‘John’ said this; it is so very perfect and incredibly in character. To the doctors, you painted Jack as this sort of enigmatic freak, this patient they couldn’t figure out. And then you seamlessly switch POVs and go into Jack’s (or is it John’s?) own thoughts, and I found it so interesting how Jack himself couldn’t even seem to figure himself out. He was just as confused as his doctors were, except I felt that Jack’s confusion was different from theirs. He could see darkness in his past, could taste it, even, (‘He could taste it in his mind and it was mouth-watering, delicious and inviting,’) and it was so beautifully written and it was sort of mind blowing. Wonderful, really.

Overall, I think you did a great job. I enjoyed reading this. Keep up your great work!