Reviews for Ali of Finghington Bluff
ShinigamiVermont chapter 1 . 10/25/2012
Very well written, I liked it very much! It's nice to have some historical background woven into the story.
I only recently watched Lawrence of Arabia and instantly fell in love with it. I've also ordered Seven Pillars of Wisdom and am very eager to start reading!
I also read about the debate concerning Lawrence's assault in Deraa but I can't believe he just invented that. Homosexuality was still a taboo subject in 1917 and why should he invent something that could discredit him himself. As you said, just because the Bey was officially a ''vigorous heterosexual'' doesn't mean he couldn't have raped Lawrence or ordered it. I think that ''vigorous'' need for sex proves rather differently. Some article I read also said that Lawrence wasn't in Deraa the time he described and that the pages of his diary, of the days in question, were ripped out. I'd very much like to go back in time to find out the truth, but apparently nobody was interested in the truth back then, or nobody ever questioned what happened to Lawrence.
walkertxkitty chapter 1 . 9/28/2012
I grew up with Lawrence. My father was special inteliigence (or whatever they call it now) attached to the diplomatic corps. We were everywhere from Jordan to Sudan and Lawrence's observations are still the gold standard by which personnel are trained to interact in the Middle East.

I am convinced the assault did happen, if not at Deraa then elsewhere, because he so vividly describes the detachment which occurs (I am unfortunate to know the experience).

You handled this aspect well. I have a copy of the earlier 1935 printing, not the large scale one. It and my 1924 Lowell Thomas are treasures mong my other books on the subject. Good to know others appreciate Lawrence as much as I do.
Florence of Arabia chapter 1 . 6/2/2010
Great story, absolutely loved it :)

Just thought that I'd clarify something for you. By the time that people started seriously looking into some of his claims as well as the previously taboo subject of his sexual orientation the Bey in question was dead. However they did look through his diaries (which don't mention the incident but do talk about his extramarital relations with women. They also asked his family and people who knew him. Even people with serious grudges against him (like his brother who he had thrown in jail) were adamant about his heterosexuality and constant womanizing. If you don't want to take the word of some stranger online (because who's more credible than one of those?) a detailed analysis and criticism of the rape scene in Seven Pillars is laid out in The Golden Warrior; The Life and Legend of T. E. Lawrence (I know lame title but it's a good book)

Hope that helps!
Clio1792 chapter 1 . 1/29/2010
This was very well done, extremely interesting, and thank you SO MUCH for the postscript summarizing your research!

The only point where I'd express **modest** dissent is in your suggestion that "vigorous heterosexuality" excludes an interest in men-I'm not inclined, on the basis of what I've read, to discount the possibility that T.E. Lawrence was bissexual...although it's obviously difficult to know, given Lawrence's tendency to exaggerated fictions...

Thank you again for this excellent piece!

Clio1792