Reviews for Le Morte d'Arthur
EchizenRyomaLover chapter 1 . 3/21
Oh wow, the trauma of that rape of English. I just...whoa, and this has a lot of impact on me because I have a minor in literature. This has "trauma studies" written all over it, and I am majorly fangirling right now. I am so happy (ecstatic) to have discovered you in this fandom, seriously.

I LOVE THIS FIC despite the non-con FrUk and I just...ugh I'm far from coherent at how genius this is. I feel so so so bad for Arthur. OTL
TARIGARMA12 chapter 1 . 7/4/2014
Oh your idea of using different languages to avoid understanding between characters and reader is really cool. Also, your idea of how the languages get into a nation is interesting, i think that this was the first time i read it.
I liked your writing style and how all your research could be seen in the story and not only as something made without much care. Thanks for giving us this story.

Other thing, oh the arrow in the eye scene! Omg I was suffering while reading that imagining something like that in my eye :o
theSardonyx chapter 1 . 5/27/2014
You gotta love English History.

Write on.!
Yuna
LawlietLennoxLove chapter 1 . 5/9/2013
That, is incredible. I don't exactly squawk my socks off at USUK (UK/US, sure), but this sure makes me reconsider (until I leave the page, in which case it's back to regarding it with wariness tinged with dislike.

Especially love (weeell. Perhaps that's not the most fitting word here) France. Bastard as he is. It suits him, or maybe I'm just sick of seeing him portrayed as a rose-chewing Promoscuity personified. Not that it changes anything. The France here is still amazing.

Or maybe that's just the writing. Works either way:

I salute you.
Cassie Studios chapter 1 . 5/8/2013
I usually don't leave reviews, just add stuff to my favorites, but I just have to say this.

I loved this fic a lot. That's probably the only one I've read so far where this much research has been done (and I've been a member of FFN for about ten years now). It's so professional of You to have researched the languages and to actually care about accuracy. I also liked the fact that You put the translations at the end specifically to convey the confusion of the characters involved. I only speak English out of all these, so it worked on me very well. Using the media (i.e. the fanfic text) to achieve such effect is evidence of Your good skills as a writer. To add to this, I think the plot was very mature as well and that You mixed the Hetalia canon, the history and Your own ideas in a quite innovative way. Everything makes sense and I'm glad I've found this fic.

Cheers!
Tassy Riddle chapter 1 . 3/17/2013
Amazing! *-*

USA always powerful and protecting England!

Yeah, If France only think to hurt England again, USA will kick his arse! Hehehe...
Shikamaru's lazy twin chapter 1 . 2/1/2013
I loved the story especially the history that you put into it
I checked with my Japanese teacher and Igirisu does mean England in Japanese but it is also used to stand for the whole UK ( the Japanese don't seem to separate the two)
Still good job and I hope to read more from you
Melancholic Zero chapter 1 . 9/30/2012
Amazing. Amazing amazing amazing. Did I say how amazing this was?

This is a great story, and the character interpretations were incredibly good, not slipping into OOC even once (Which is quite difficult, I know)

It was an intersting concept, to write the languages as they were, which made it impossible to fully understand until the very end, but have enough clarity that reading is simple.
Thank you, thank you, for this beautiful story.
mangoshake24 chapter 1 . 5/23/2012
waaaiiii such a great story ... :) can you make more stories about this? and with more beating up of france :) but i do have a question...what happened next? i mean he still has a wound .. and i would like to know what will happen like will he die and be reincarnated and etc. sooo ciao great story :D
Warpath Grizzly chapter 1 . 11/18/2011
I...I'm not quite sure how to say this.

It feels like the story ended without any real conclusion, a definitive end. There's not really any resolution. You begin the story by introducing a conflict between Arthur and Francis, but, except for a very small part that only briefly mentions the first half of the story, there's no interaction between them at all. Not even a battle of wills whereby England triumphs, or doesn't triumph, over his imagined concept of France through memories and opinions. In the end, we're left somewhere between Arthur having accepted the loss and his never willing to giving in. In the end, we get neither since it's a rather uncertain end and whatever gains and/or losses there are are never clarified.

This kind of leaves Alfred without a purpose, as well, since he doesn't bring Arthur back to the conflict, or helps solve it, or anything. He's "just there", but doesn't have to be. I could see how having Alfred would have been symbolic of Arthur having overcome the memory of being brutally raped, but that's not mentioned either.

It was a good piece, but it feels a bit incomplete. You've come a long way since this fic.

Oh, and the French was just fine this time. ;D

Blaklite
Hiyami chapter 1 . 10/23/2011
[Rain: Arch-nemesis of the glasses-wearer.] - Win as it's s true.

And France was either being pervy or deliberately cruel in the second half of it...
worldaccordingtofangirls chapter 1 . 10/22/2011
Gah okay so I be trollin' again, but I swear I have a legitimate reason this time. Sort of. So, one glance at my paltry fanfic offerings is enough to tell a person that my two favorite things in the universe are USUK and linguistics. And here it would seem you have gone and combined them. Therefore, I must...I have to...I cannot keep my mouth shut. XD

To start with I will say that I have had dirty linguistic thoughts regarding the Norman Conquest ever since I started Hetalia, and it is nice to see that someone shares in my obscenity. (This is the highest of compliments, in case you didn't realize, haha.)

Anyways, I find that the cruelty with which you have portrayed the conquest strikes a fantastic juxtaposition with the linguistic characteristics that English inherited as a result. How ironic that English would have gone without a great deal of its beauty and poetic / prose capacity without the lyrical quality which Old French lent to our vocabulary and pronunciation (although the latter has since come to be quite royally fucked up, haha) by, as you have made apparent, stabbing an arrow through Arthur’s eye (which was super cool in that sort of OH SHIT kind of way, lololol) and then raping him. I mean, imagine how much less interesting and beautiful our vocabulary would be without the contributions of Old French…and, come to think of it, the Celtic tongues and German and Slavic and…goodness, English really is Europe’s linguistic mutt, isn’t it? Much like the United States is the world’s cultural melting pot, ironically…hmmm…*taps chin pensively* Anyways, I personally think it’s pretty fun having more synonyms than we can count, and it’s even more fun (er, perhaps this is not the best word choice but nevertheless) to imagine our acquiring them through having Francis’ dick forced up Arthur's little teenaged ass. :DD

And we all know English is the best language for prose. :3 A mixed pedigree really is the way to go.

On another train of thought, I enjoyed Arthur’s hostility towards Alfred’s use of French-derived words; vaguely-jealous Arthur (or is he just being somewhat vindictive towards Francis…?) is always good fun, even if he’s also being rather emo at the same time.

Forgive me for using the word emo in an effort at analysis; with how I've rambled on about the capacity of English, you'd think I could come up with a better synonym. XDD

To finish, I have two idiot fangirl things to say. Firstly, your use of that chalkboard is pure win, and secondly, “I am strong when I am on your shoulders”? ASDFGHJKL. That’s dere-dere enough for me.

(Oh and also I thought nobody appreciated 21st Century Breakdown but then there’s YOU using it in USUK~)

ARGH I THINK THE LENGTH OF THIS REVIEW IS A NEW RECORD FOR ME. I am so sorry.

I sort of have to favorite this now, damn you.

Hey look I’m done so you can go get some aspirin, haha,

-worldaccordingtofangirls
Lamashtar Two chapter 1 . 9/28/2011
It feels wierd to read this as an American-and understand the French. French and Spanish are the most common languages for Americans to learn.

It makes me wonder how Arthur reacted when Alfred absorbed the Louisiana Territory (and how fitting is it that the Gourmet Nation made the Glutton Nation twice as big?) and became part French. Not that there weren't a few already in Maine, but they were still sort of Canada's, and Arthur had already accepted Canada and allowed him to keep his language.

The Spanish, Dutch and Swedish colonies Arthur took over in America were aggressively renamed and encouraged to become English-speakers.

Of course, one part of him speaking a language and being taken over by a language are different things. For many years, the world wars and cold war scared America into being suspicious of other languages/countries-the Louisianans stopped teaching their kids French. The mental recovery has been slow.
Trumpet-Geek chapter 1 . 7/10/2011
I LOVE this. It was so sad...and yet hopeful :)
Alistine chapter 1 . 5/17/2011
This was absolutely brilliant. I loved how you wove together the real history with the characters, and the languages, oh, god. That was fucking awesome. The absolute hatred between Arthur and France was perfectly executed, and I even learned a bit (I'm something of an Arthurian legends fanatic, but I didn't know that bit about Albion.) I am beyond impressed. Really, this is fantastic work. It's definitely going on my favorites list.
59 | Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »