Reviews for it would be so easy
J'aime ma vie chapter 1 . 5/30/2014
I really loved this fic because it resonated so much it. I know everything Mildred is feeling, because I've either experienced it, or currently am at the moment. I've had feelings for someone out of my league. I've had feelings for someone I knew would never reciprocate them.

And right now, I'm constantly being told by people (especially my parents) to settle for whoever happens to show interest in me, because at least it's *someone*. I know how that pressure feels, of refusing to settle for less, yet feeling that you ought to because there's the possibility that if you don't settle, no one else will come along for you. That really resonated with me here: "It's what people expect of her: to aim low and hit even lower. To marry a man not much better than her and to live forever in a squalor of mediocrity."

I liked that Mildred hated Remus the most out of all the Marauders. I can understand why, too; because James and Sirius know they're mean and arrogant, but Remus tries to act like he's an innocent party by not participating in their ridicule of others. He's actually the worst, because he sees bad things happening, but doesn't do anything to prevent it. His lack of backbone really killed him in the end and you showed that in just one line. Amazing. I also liked the line "pretty little red-heads get what they want, not lackluster girls with black hair" because it's so human and again, really resonated with me and how I sometimes wonder why I can't be the pretty girl who gets what she wants for once.

This fic was absolutley incredible and I think that other people who read it will relate to it like I did. This was beautiful and heartwrenching, but I really, really loved it.
missylynn99 chapter 1 . 9/22/2013
Nice OC, definitely not a Sue, but not an anti-sue either. Great job at finding the middle ground.
Draco Malfoy is Blonde chapter 1 . 8/7/2012
That's really good, I don't often read one shots, but found this engaging, enjoyable and really well written. Nice job.
limecottage chapter 1 . 7/26/2012
Oh, this is just great! I really enjoyed it, Mildred seems to be such an interesting character, and I love the third to last paragraph, it's marvellous. :)
Thanks for sharing!
Verran chapter 1 . 7/11/2012
This is a powerful piece of writing. I'm not (believe it or not) a Potter fan. I know who some of the characters are, Snape included, but there it ends. I've not read the discussions about the OC so I'm looking at this as if it were an original piece of writing.

What a twisted, tragic character Mildred is. Yearning for what she can't have, everything seems impossibly out of her reach. She wants Sirius Black, she knows she'd be better off with Snape, but apparently he's off limits too. She reacts with hatred, towards Gryffindor, towards Slytherin, towards Hufflepuff, towards those that taunt her, even those that pity her, but most of all towards herself.

The one line that did it for me - "They pick on her for her ugliness, which she is sure spreads to her core..." - then it goes on to say that she believes her heart is as ugly as her appearance for making her crush on Sirius Black.

The more times I read this, the more little details came out, and the more links I found between them. It really is a complex web with so many interconnections between the school houses, the characters within them and love and hate that have tangled Mildred up so much.

And yet, that last line conjures up so much that is unsaid - 'But it would be so easy'. As if this twisted place she's in is of her own making. As if it would take no effort to break loose and overcome it. That she could win Snape over despite the Slytherin rule, despite his affection for someone else.

She has self belief but she won't let it shine through, and it leaves me wondering.

A very enjoyable piece to read. Only one slip-up I noticed - I think it should be 'decreed', not 'degreed'.

Hope this appraisal is useful!
Thanks,
Verran
Emily Mae chapter 1 . 11/15/2011
Now that I've read EHWIES Darkly and been exposed to her take on Mildred, I was curious to read yours! I really like the way you're able to reveal Mildred's character almost entirely through her connection with/thoughts surrounding Snape and the Marauders. I always have a hard time demonstrating personalities through thoughts and actions instead of just "she was kind of a loser" type text.

Finally, it is SO SO SO refreshing to read about an OC that is so clearly flawed. I certainly don't think all OCs are Mary-Sues [my multi-chap fic is centered around an OC, after all!] but its a sad truth that too many of them are. Mildred shatters this mold, however, and that's really good to see. Well done, Wendy! :]
Aria657 chapter 1 . 1/8/2011
It made me teary, I hate bullying! Just because somebody is ugly, or fat doesn't mean you bully them. They bully other people just because they feel insecure, or just because they are mean. I love Sirius Black and the rest of the Marauders, well except for Pettigrew, but I hate their bullying. And I don't really know about Remus, he doesn't actually do anything about it, he doesn't help, and he doesn't stop it, and I know a lot of people don't want pity, I wouldn't either. If you want to help, then stop it, or get a teacher! And, doesn't everybody have a crush on Sirius Black? I know I do, but sadly I don't have a chance with him! Sorry for doing all the bullying crap, great job!
TheWordFountain chapter 1 . 9/4/2010
I really liked this. I sorta find it funny, but it makes me want to admit something.

I have this strange idea that I would probably love Snape's nose. Yes. I know.

Regards,

Wordy
lydiamaartin chapter 1 . 7/12/2010
This was just wonderful! I loved how you took a character that doesn't exist, and if she did, she'd be a joke along the lines of Eloise Midgen, and turned her into someone worth sympathizing with. I especially loved her conflicting feelings over Sirius, and how she hates Remus the most. I think I would, too, in those circumstances.

Fantastic job, and keep writing!
Balsam chapter 1 . 7/7/2010
That was painful.

I mean that as a compliment!

It was great! Your style pulled me right along and through to the end despite the crushing emotional weight of the content. Superb!

Tiny thing: you write (3rd paragraph) that "they're both victims of adolescent cruelness" Cruelty?

If "cruelness" is the way Mildred would say it, keep it, though.
ToManyLetters chapter 1 . 7/5/2010
It was nice - a good character reflection. Well written and well put together. You win three awesome points and a smile.

Oh, and a case of Slytherin was left uncapitalised. (Just fyi.)

TML
misspoofed chapter 1 . 4/19/2010
Wonderful characterization! Good job.
Julia Claire chapter 1 . 4/7/2010
This is really well-written! I liked how you drew the similarities between Severus and Mildred, and how you described Lily.
cerseilannisters chapter 1 . 3/5/2010
Wow, I liked it alot! My favorite line herr is "Pretty little red-heads get what they want, not girls with lackluster black hair."

It flows very nicely and Mildred's character was stated very well.

Really enjoyed

Vanity
Relala chapter 1 . 3/2/2010
Every now and then you stumble across a story that makes you envious as a writer because you didn’t come up with something that brilliant. This is one of those moments. “it would be so easy” is fabulously written, every line pulling me deeper and deeper into loving a character I don’t even know. At the end, however, I felt as if I’d known her for years. I tend to avoid OC’s like they plague — too many of them turn out like Mary-Sewage — but you did this as if Millie had a complete outline in Canon. Spectacular writing, ma amie.