Reviews for However Improbable
MaryChapel chapter 46 . 3/19
This was amazing. I'm so sorry you've stopped posting new work, but I'm glad that I can read some of it. Thank you for all the time and effort you put into this, and I hope that it was worth it to you.

MaryChapel
Elenna123 chapter 14 . 3/5
I haven't seen the motion picture you're referring to, but I believe the line is something along the lines of "As one of my ancestors said, when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever left, however improbable, is the truth."
Holmes could have been human and Amanda's ancestor, but he certainly never had a child. Thus, the logical conclusion is that Sir Arthur Conan Doyle is Spock's ancestor.
But in this story, your explanation probably works better.
OH, this story is wonderful! I like Sherlock Holmes stories, and I like Star Trek, especially TOS, and this story is so true to both of them! Holmes and Watson in the space, helping Kirk, Spock, McCoy and all fight Moriarty! Jim, Spock and Bones making friends with Holmes and Watson! And Moriarty a telepath and Watson an empath! And yes, I got into Star Trek rather recently but I first read Holmes stories in my childhood, and I instantly caught that reference of Spock's in the Undiscovered Country and knew just WHO his ancestor was))) But I think Holmes could have had a child with Irene Adler.
AutumnAtMidnite chapter 46 . 11/6/2014
I have no idea what I can possibly say that will do this story the justice it's due, except that it's one of the finest works I've read on this site - or any other, for that matter - and quite honestly, transcends the realm of fan fiction.

I enjoyed this immensely, and loved where you took the plotline (Watson as an empath was a stroke of brilliance, btw), but what made me click back to the first chapter after I finished reading it the first time around was how you made both worlds so real, I couldn't bear leaving. I've always said that at times, you "got" Holmes & Watson better than ACD himself, but your love for the worlds those characters inhabit came across so clearly, it's like the reader gets to sit right there by the fire in Baker Street or on the Enterprise.

One of the many aspects I love about your fic is your ability to bring across the characters so vividly, in a way that goes beyond descriptors or simply nailing the voices... so what I'm trying to get across in my long winded way (that I hope makes an ounce of sense?) is that this was just transportive, like very,very few fics or published novels are.

I confess to being intrigued at how you would pull off the blending of both worlds, since they at first glance are such polar opposites that a crossover seems inconceivable. Any yet, everything blended so well, it seemed only natural that the Star Trek and Holmes universe should collide. It was also lovely to see the glaring similarities between Holmes/Spock, and also how both pairs of friends may share common features, but differ, as well. Your explanation for how Spock traces his ancestry back to Holmes has been permanently filed away in my head!Canon, and I shall never accept any other explanation ;)

Apologies for my garrulousness/incoherence, but this fic made me squee like a madwoman. A pity ff . net won't let me favorite you a second time around...
Magisterium chapter 46 . 9/3/2014
Incredible seems an insufficient way to describe the ride this took me on, but it will have to do, because I can't seem to come up with any other relevant adjectives to describe how perfectly brilliant this entire fic was. Since this deserves so much more than a random showering of descriptors, I'll try my best to give you my thoughts.

You have a perfect grasp of characterization (well, so much as any fanfic writer can have of another author's creations) and seem to have really gotten into their heads, picked everyone's brain, so that dialogue flows naturally and actions ring true because you know what makes them tick. I can imagine how difficult it was keeping all those characters straight, but imo, it was pulled off flawlessly.

I'll be honest here. Moriarity is my least favorite character, and I usually hate seeing him used in film, pastiche or fan fiction. It can be an immediate turnoff for me, but you actually made him what he was intended to be in canon - an intellectual rival that used his powers for evil purposes - and made him so real it was creepy.

And finally, I loved the way you portrayed everyone's relationship with and perception of each other. Holmes & Watson acted as they should with one another, but also /reacted/ in a believable way to the time travel. The same for Kirk, Spock, & McCoy. Not only IC, but how they perceived the "Victorians". I enjoyed this more than many published Star Trek and Holmes pastiches that I've read.
LightOtter chapter 14 . 6/18/2014
Please keep in mind that Spock is half human. No, Sherlock wasn't a Vulcan in disguise in the Victorian age, but he could very well have had an out of wedlock child that he didn't know about with Irene Adler. It has been stated by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle that for Sherlock, she was The Woman.
MuggleCreator chapter 46 . 5/22/2014
Brilliant. Just brilliant.
ThatSassyCaptain chapter 46 . 8/27/2013
It's beautiful, hon. A real gem.
ThatSassyCaptain chapter 19 . 8/27/2013
"If you intend to detract from the aesthetic value of this spotless corridor by loitering here until the Captain emerges, then be so good as to inform him that I shall be in Engineering with Mr. Scott until he requires me on the Bridge."

I am currently dying. I will seek immediate medical attention and then return to the story. LOVE IT!
Wind19 chapter 46 . 8/1/2013
*Hugs back* This was really well written!
Miss Taggart Transcontinental chapter 1 . 7/13/2013
Epic win! Spock and Holmes in the same story totally made my day. I am continually amazed at how your crack and crossovers seem more like canon than most people's serious fics do. Good work!
Book girl fan chapter 46 . 7/12/2013
Will you be writing any more to this 'verse, such as the main three of the Enterprise coming here on shore leave? It would be really awesome.
Unseen Watcher chapter 24 . 7/11/2013
The fact that Spock can reduce Holmes to sputtering and cuts through his need for melodrama is immensely amusing. You couldn't find a better straight man. Still enjoying myself. _
Unseen Watcher chapter 10 . 7/11/2013
Most impressive. I finally got up the courage to read this fic. I hope they are all impressed with each other. Particularly Holmes to Kirk... I hope Bones helps Watson with that shoulder. heh.
Linvalay chapter 46 . 7/5/2013
this was excellent. I really enjoyed spocks ranting about mccoy's beads and rattles!

as always your characterization is spot on, and a pleasure to read