Reviews for 2,200 Souls
Sam Fraser chapter 1 . 3/28
I have come here to say sorry for what I said years ago. I should have known that this was based on the movie and not on what may have happened in real life.

My opinion as to wherever the real Murdoch committed suicide has changed over the years: When I saw Titanic, the scene that caught my attention and that is the source of all my interest in the Titanic, the suicide of First Officer Murdoch.

For a long time I was interested in this man; in the beginning I obviously believed that he did not commit suicide, but at the time I was 11 ... taking my courage to read articles and reference sites, I realized with horror that it was possible that an Officer's suicide had occurred. I tried to convince myself and others (including you) that it could not have been Murdoch; Yet the more I tried to show that this was impossible, and I had go to the evidence that there was no basis to assert ... quite the contrary.

Recently I came into contact with "Dan", the webmaster of the site The man, the mystery: a reference to this thorny issue. The view of Dan is quite honorable, the primary goal being to provide a database of facts which have available to study the issue of suicide. It is intended impartial rare quality that is unfortunately not often found among historians that examine Murdoch.

I entirely of his opinion, that if one wants to approach closer to the truth, we must exclude any possibilities including those disturbing.

So this year, I spent sleepless nights fully read his site; I believe now that it seems more likely than ever that Murdoch did indeed commit suicide.
Guest chapter 1 . 9/28/2012
Good News.

Evidence Murdoch did NOT kill himself has surfaced.
Jediknightlet chapter 1 . 9/23/2012
Beautiful!
Cerulean City chapter 1 . 1/11/2012
It's official-I am in love with your Titanic character development stories. And in this, I find, although the prose gets a little heavy in spots, (most specifically when you continue the metaphor about Titanic and the ocean being ladies dressed in their finery) it was a very enjoyable read. I most especially like how Mr. Murdoch becomes very disillusioned although he starts off the voyage with such promise and how he really shows that he loves what he does. But then again, in our most desperate and last hour, I think every human will probably do the same.

Fantastic job.

-Tex
reallyhatebananas chapter 1 . 8/1/2011
Titanic is the only movie that ever managed to make me cry.

And this is the first fic to ever make me cry.

I don't know how you do it - I didn't even know it was possible before today - but something about your words reaches right out from the screen to ensnare me in a net of beauty. I get the strangest urge to run outside barefoot and start singing on my lawn at night - yes, I'm weird enough to do that, but this time it's all you.

How on earth do you write like this? How do you write something poignant and touching and heartbreaking and sweet and just amazing in general?

~Chloe
Ishimura99 chapter 1 . 8/1/2011
Amazing work. It always deeply saddened me as to how the movie portrayed Murdoch at the end. But you captured these scenes with great depth and detail as to how Murdoch took these events in, especially near the very end. I enjoyed reading this, great job :)
kady chapter 1 . 1/4/2011
one of the best titanic fics i've read. i love when people take a chance on one of the underappreciated characters.
TorontoBatFan chapter 1 . 11/22/2010
Interesting fic.

I must admit, I dislike James Cameron's film because I'm a fairly serious "Titanic" history buff, and I detest the liberties he took with the story just to suit his love story.

I do think you captured much of what Murdoch's mood would be like. Most historians agree that about the only mistake Murdoch made was reversing the engines at the same time he had the helm put over. That disrupted the water flow over the rudder and greatly slowed the ship's turn. They concur that if he had kept the engines going full ahead and simply put the rudder over to one side or the other, they would have missed the iceberg entirely. OR, he could have not touched the helm and simply reversed the engines, allowing the ship to hit the ice head-on. That sort of head-on collision was exactly what the ship was designed to withstand. It would have crushed in the bow, with many casualties, but the ship itself would have stayed afloat and been able to limp into port at Halifax or St. Johns.

One thing I DO have to point out though, about the "full moon tiara". There was no full moon that night. There was no moon at all. It was that very darkness (through lack of moonlight) that made spotting ice so difficult in the calm water.

As for Murdoch's suicide, I hated the way he was made to appear in the film. HOWEVER, two separate survivors -who dove off near the end and were able to swim to the Collapsable boats- wrote to relatives soon afterwards that they saw an officer shoot himself. One of the survivors was George Rheims, a Frenchman from First Class who wrote to his wife. The other was Eugene Daly, an Irish immigrant from Third Class who was writing to his sister. (It's significant that they were writing to close relatives, not a public account for the press.) As well, both were writing immediately (right after they reached New York City) after the disaster, not years later when myth might have replaced their actual memories. Yet, both described essentially the same scenario.

Historians than think that it's possible an officer DID shoot himself, but it was a question of whom. Murdoch had been on the bridge when the collision took place, so that might give him a motive. Chief Officer Wilde, however, is also a candidate. The previous eighteen months had been trying for him. At Christmas of 1910, his wife had died during a stillbirth; leaving him with their four other children to raise. Apparently, he still hadn't fully recovered from that tragedy yet. It's speculated that Wilde rather withdrewinto himself as the dsaister unfolded, as it was the emotional final straw for him.
HustlesR chapter 1 . 10/3/2010
Nice drabbles!
Wendy Brune chapter 1 . 3/1/2010
This was superb. You do such wonderful character studies of minor characters! You make this poor, doomed character so real and so human. I also really like your figurative language in this piece. You describe whats happening so well without actually coming straight out and stating it.

Wonderful work! I thoroughly enjoyed this.
Kath chapter 1 . 2/8/2010
This story is perhaps the definition of diamond in the rough. Good grief, you have captured this man's emotions perfectly. The imagery, his despair-you can feel all of it like you're with him, and you're desperate to help.

I can't believe this doesn't have more reviews. More people should recognize greatness when they see it. It's utterly brilliant. Thank you for the ride!
aesthetic promises chapter 1 . 1/31/2010
1 review...I am so sorry I haven't found the time to review...life is so hectic!

Anyway, this is...amazing. I love it. So insightful and beautiful, you actually make Murdoch a character people can sympathize with, not just feel pity for.

I applaud your fic,

Cassandra A
RhapsodyInProgress chapter 1 . 1/26/2010
Wow, wow, this was really, really, really good. Murdoch doesn't get a lot of attention in fics (unless he's being written as soppy and lovesick it seems to me) so it was really nice to see him being portrayed in what perceive to be a true-to-life way. I've always sort of felt sorry for Murdoch, given that he was in charge of the bridge at the time of the accident and must have felt heavily responsable - whether it was his fault at all or not.

The last vignette especially to me captures his character, far more than the movie with him suddnely becoming an unintentional murderer and then taking his own life. To me it sums up how a man of Murdoch's background and training would have seen his duty at the last moments.

Also as a random tangent - in the musical version of Titanic (it exists, I promise) Murdoch sings a short song called "To Be a Captain" in which the last line is "you hold their souls in the palm of your hand" and, to me, you've managed to cpature this sentiment exactly with your last line.

Awesome job. Definitely getting added to my favs.