Reviews for Playing Favorites
trout1986 chapter 6 . 12/18/2010

I'm glad Tony finally gets called on all the shit he pulls. The people that talking about poor Tony, please give me a break.
Regalredstar chapter 1 . 7/12/2010
First to the other reviewers, What are you? Supernatural fans arguing over whether Sam or Dean is better? Grow up! You're all acting like petulant brats who have taken to insulting each other! Get over it!

Tony and McGee are BOTH strong, interesting characters, who BOTH act like jerks at times. Personally I don't have any preference one way or the other. I've read and reviewed and even written stories where Tony is the center. I've done the same for McGee, in fact two of my current WIP are McGee centric. Personally I prefer stories where the characters act like they do on the show. Like Brothers who annoy, tease, occasionally act maliciously towards each other... and would die for each other at the drop of the hat. I don't write anything that doesn't at least have the backdrop of that relationship. But that's just me. Different people like different things. Personally, I don't like slash. I think it's wrong, except in cases where the characters in question actually are Gay. (Of when Jack Harkness of Torchwood is involved but that's another matter all together!) But I know there are other people who do. I don't flame slash works just because I don't like them, and I find it insulting when people flame works, and fans of characters other than the one they like best.

Basically what I"m saying is. Tony fans stop flaming this story and McGee in general. McGee fans stop flaming Tony! And for the love of Gibbs, would EVERYONE stop flaming each other, even if you're doing it under the guise of telling other people to stop flaming! I've read all of the reviews and from what I can tell the only ones actually being vicious are the ones saying that others are vicious.

Okay, getting off my soap box now.

Smartkid, you are a good writer. I'm really enjoying your current story Slaying the Dragon. This story, on the other hand, I don't like. I think you do the team (including Tim) a disservice by making them this far out of character. That said, you're still a good author, and I think that if you stick to the characters and the strength of their relationships in the show, you have the potential to be a great one.
Bookworm1986 chapter 1 . 6/24/2010
How ironic that the Tony lovers are being cruel, petty, and looking down their noses - Di Nozzo much?

This is a Tim centred fic which is very well done, drawing on all those issues that very frustratingly the NCIS writers ignore. Tim McGee deserves to take centre stage on the show for a while. 7 seasons and we are still waiting for McGee to be recognised. So many things that infuriate me - dog tags always springs to mind instantly though.

Gibbs once said "a slap to the face is a humiliation, a slap to the back of the head is a wake up call"

Basically Tony lovers if you don't like Tim centred fics then don't read them. I don't read Tony centred ones - why? because i can't stand him and he gets enough stories on the show.

There are lots of Tim fans who will address the issues that the NCIS writers won't because we are left frustrated with the lack of closure Tim gets on the show. When i get round to posting my fic, you'll want to avoid it because Di Nozzo will finally have McGee's keyboard wrapped round his head, with his backside glued to his chair and a big wad of toffee in his mouth preventing him from speaking. Abby will be told where she can shove it and Gibbs will get the wake up call he's in need of.

So if the NCIS writers refuse to give us what we want we will continue to write lots of Tim fics.

Here's to McGee
arkangel-36 chapter 6 . 4/14/2010
I am also a member of the 'flamers are idiots' club and fully support Shelbylou (and others)in her response to the 'moles' of FFNet. Sadly, through my own investigation of some flamers pages and 'work', I have discovered that most moles/flamers can't write and as an outlet for their own lack of talent, lash out to those who do have talent.

I do not review the work of flamers because I honestly could find nothing good to say about it. (see this is a demonstration of Netiquette) I read all genre of fics and read fics that put the spotlight on other NCIS characters. I have found many, many fics that bash McGee in an immature way because they only have eyes for Tony. Tony can be a jerk, even Michael Whetherly referred to Tony as a 'Jackass' in an interview of TV Guide. The writers write Tony that way for a reason because it is a show for the masses. Writers of fanfic write what they usually miss in an episode or a season and inject what they themselves what to see happen. (Fan) Fiction. Tony lovers write Tony centered fics, Ziva lovers write Ziva centered fic, and so on and so forth. It is the diversity of fans of the show that makes site like this one so enjoyable because you can read what others from all around the world took from a particular episode or character or season. If you want Tony as the hero golden boy and everyone else quietly stroking his ego in a fic then please write it. I would read it and, if it's believable and well writen, then you will get a good review. If it's nothing but Tony stroking, then I'll quietly pass and move on to another story. If it's good but needs work, I will give CC.

To those flamers that hide behind anonymity, (not signed in so that any reply can be sent privately) you are cowards and should be treated as such. Laugh at the ignorance and delete the review. :-)

Handing the soapbox back to Shelbylou now.

HUGGLES
Shelbylou chapter 1 . 4/11/2010
Right people, I have just a couple of small points about the 'questionable' reviewS some of you have left about this fic!

Firstly, I'm going to start off with a definition of 'flaming', so are you all sitting comfortably (and to the people who left the good reviewS and enjoy the story, this is in no way, shape or form aimed at you and I thank you for enjoying the fic - Hats off to you all for letting Smartkid know what a fantastic job she is doing with her stories!)

**Flame - refers to inflammatory (rude, cruel, mean, hateful, unjust) remarks made about an author or their work. This is widely considered very bad netiquette, and will often get you kicked-off lists or groups if you insist on doing it.**

Now that settled, I am going to name and shame one FLAMER in particular - Infinite Rhapsody. In what god damn world did you see your comments as constructive? I read them and the first thing that comes to mind is the fact that they are damn insulting!

You need to go away and read about the definition of fanFICTION! If you want to read fics where the characters are canon, then fine, but be aware that there that will see you as a pompous, self opinionated, un-constructive person with nothing better to do then insult people and their work.

I for one love this fic and hate the fact that people like you feel the need to put the authors down and make them feel crappy about their stories...WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK YOU ARE!

Phew, right I'm off that little soap box now and will get back to enjoying and reading some pretty amazing stories!

Shelbylou x
OmniaVincit43 chapter 6 . 4/10/2010
I really enjoyed this fic. People who flamed it seem to like Tony so much that they are blind to his faults. Even in an Older/Younger sibling relationship, there is a point where the teasing becomes too much and the parent has to step in. You captured a situation where the older sibling is allowed to bully the younger sibling too long perfectly.
Shelbylou chapter 6 . 4/6/2010
Hi everyone

I know this fic has been complete for a little while and that the chance of the people who flamed actually reading this review is slim to none, I just want to put my 2 pence worth in.

Whilst you all have read this fic, you all felt the need to slate the author for their work. I just want to remind you all of a couple of points about fanfiction:

1) It's FanFICTION, and the author has the creative license to write whatever they want, and in anyway they want. YES, this does mean that if someone wants to write a fic and the characters are OOC, then so be it.

2) It's not constructive in any way to send an author a flame review, it's derogatory and really can make the author feel crappy about their work. If you don't like it people, then don't read, It's as simple as that!

3) If you do enjoy the story, but have a comment about something, how about you all try some constructive criticism and positive reinforcement. The two together make for a good review, just as long as you are not being down right nasty to the author. Seriously, if you are going to write a review and do nothing but criticise...Hell, that's just wrong!

Anyway, I'm done and hope you all start to enjoy the fic's for what they are...FANFICTION!

To Smartkid,

Keep up the good work x
00000909000000 chapter 6 . 3/26/2010
Thanks for writing this story. McGee is my favorite on the show and sometimes I think he gets picked on a bit to much. You made the whole story/conversation believable. Very well written. Thanks!
Rose DiVerona chapter 6 . 2/18/2010
You are definitely a very good writer. That being said, your story was extremely OOC. I believe Infinite Rhapsody said everything I might have wanted to say, so I won't spend more time echoing those comments.
ceilidh65 chapter 6 . 2/8/2010
Oh, I did enjoy this! You've taken all the niggling put downs and mistreatment that Tim has endured over the years, and brought it to a head in a thoroughly believable story.

You've kept everyone in character too, with papa bear Gibbs doing a great job in bringing his boys through the fallout of Tim's resentment and anger. There are sadly so few scenes between Gibbs and Tim in the series, but you've certainly done them proud here.

Thanks again for a superb story, and I'm looking forward to seeing more from you!

All my best,

ceilidh
numbat000 chapter 6 . 1/31/2010
Sean Murray has been quoted as saying that he thinks McGee quite likes the "Probie" name and doesn't mind the nicknames as much as he makes out. Give the actor you love so much a little credit - if he really felt his character was constantly being humiliated and ridiculed - he would ask the writers to tone it down. He obviously thinks McGee is man enough to handle it.

As a writer, you have the luxury and the right to colour your stories any way you wish. My only regret is that you chose to highlight your favourite character, McGee, to the complete detriment of other characters, Tony, Gibbs and to a certain extent Vance.

I read FFnet avidly but, sadly, lack your talent to formulate a story. I recently read a wonderful story where the author (a Tony fan who I won't drag into this) was saddened by the decline of the McGee/Tony relationship in S6 and felt McGee was snippy and arrogant. However, when she wrote her story, rather than bagging out McGee, she wrote a funny, sibling-type story, highlighting his attributes and he even saved Tony's life.

The reason I mentioned this is because I remembered your review of this story and your comment - "McGee gets shafted again." You were upset that Gibbs only said - "Good job" to him. This is GIBBS! To have him lavish praise on any of his team is to write him OOC.

Which makes me wonder if any story that doesn't place McGee on a pedestal and damn the rest, would really make you happy?

But this story has certainly created its share of controversy and differing opinions so, if that was your intent - congratulations, you succeeded!
charli chapter 6 . 1/31/2010
interesting story...glad Tim got all that off his chest and Tony was made to see how badly he'd treated McGee...just too bad nobody brought up how crappy McGee treats Tony on a regular basis too..
whatweareafreaidof chapter 6 . 1/31/2010
this is a very good story... i wish you write a few more ch.

tony is nice some time, but the nicknames cross the line he does them to much and for two long,

tony does some stuff that is hurt ful, the makeing fun of tim when the girl was kill, the dog video, breaking into his house, all cross the line.

gibbs is clueless, he see it, but he does not know how much it hurt tim, and he does treat tony like a son, and ziva close, he keep his distence form tim.

good story
Nita chapter 4 . 1/30/2010
*cringe* you're losing me having anyone agree that any of it is McGee's fault. And only a complete fool believes that someone only "teases" someone because they care. That's only the *LIE* that teachers and parents use to not have to deal with bullies like Tony.
SherryGabs chapter 6 . 1/30/2010
From reading some of the other reviews, I promise not to add to your headache. Yikes! I like how you sorted this all out. Tim got things off his chest, which was what he's wanted all along. Both Gibbs and Tony learned some things about themselves and Tim also. Very nice story!
86 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 4 5 .. Last Next »