Reviews for Playing Favorites
zats chapter 6 . 1/30/2010
Like this chapter showing how people can solve problems if they just talk them through. Hope to read more.
play-fair chapter 6 . 1/30/2010
Once again I marvel at the viciousness of Tony lovers in their one sided view of the show. Granted, I think all the characters are being exaggerated to the point of some OCC, but claiming this is the most OCC story ever, or that you are butchering a great show etc. is laughable.

This fic has at least some ties to the reality presented on the show. Do they get this upset over stories where their favorite character is made gay (something as unlikely as making someone straight)? or where they have Tony in love with a living Kelly (making him old enough to be her father)? or fathering a child and running away from his responsibilities?

They claim you are being hypocritical and that you're making Timmy a such a helpless victim. Yet they keep pointing out that poor Tony has been on the end of big bad mean McGee's retaliation. Isn't that making him a helpless victim too? And isn't it hypocritical to absolve Tony of all his sins? That's playing favorites too isn't it?

Bet you never expected this kind of reaction did you?
Jorinsanity chapter 1 . 1/30/2010
also...fuck you "infinite rhapsody"!

Tony is a complete and total jackass to the core. I love Ziva...but I really wish she would stop even mildly flirting with that prick! I kinda wish Ziva had shot him in "Aaliyah"! Ziva belongs with 2 people on the show: Mcgee...or Abby

I really do hope one day someone tells him to shut up with his snide comments and womanizing ways!

I treat women with equal or even more respect than I do myself or most other men!
Jorinsanity chapter 6 . 1/30/2010
damn terrific story! :)
chelsea1234 chapter 6 . 1/30/2010
Great ending! Thanks :)
Infinite Rhapsody chapter 2 . 1/30/2010
(cont)

Moreover, if, as you say, Gibbs had said, "Our best agent's with her," he could have meant Ziva. It's a 50-50 chance, but you just gloss right over that possibility and make Vance flip out, "OMFG WHY DID YOU SAY THAT? TONY LIKE SUCKS!1!1"

Wow. I'm reading some of these reviews and they are really blowing me away in their hatred of Tony. "Tony is a mean spirited, nasty excuse for a human being"? Wow. Like I said, he's done hurtful stuff, and he has never apologized, for two reasons:

1) Apologizing is a sign of weakness to him and the rest of the team;

and 2) He's doing all the ribbing and teasing with one purpose: to help McGee grow up and turn into a seasoned, confident Special Agent.

If Tony apologized after every "Step off, McFlowerPower, you've had your chance to speak", McGee would have no respect for him. I certainly wouldn't.

Oh, and about the coming into work super early? Uh, Tony does that too. It's been shown on the show many times. Just FYI.

"'C'mon, McCranky, lighten up, what's wrong with you anyway?' Tony whined as he stood in front of Tim's desk waiting for Tim to react. 'You're just pissed because you don't like the fact that the suttlebutt says Gibbs admitted I'm his best agent. It's not my fault he told my dad, I'm one of the best young agents he's ever worked with.'" Tony would never, ever say that. For one thing, "suttlebutt" is not a word. For another, the experience in Somalia drastically changed his desire for the spotlight. You know, in "Truth and Consequences", when they're coming back into the squadroom after rescuing Ziva, and the entire staff of NCIS applauds them? Does Tony stay to flash his smile and bask in the glory? NO. He shakes Ducky's hand, sits down at his desk, and gets to work.

Related to that, we all know Vance thinks McGee is the perfect Special Agent and is not so enthusiastic about DiNozzo. And now he's all pissed at Gibbs for Gibbs supposedly saying DiNozzo was their best agent? HAH. I smell some hypocrisy, and somebody not bothering to check their facts. Hmm.

Your story is called Playing Favorites. That's exactly what you are doing. While you are a good writer, you're butchering a great show and a great set of characters and their relationships. Go watch the show before you post this OOC, hypocritical, messed-up garbage on this site. Thank you, have a nice day.
Infinite Rhapsody chapter 1 . 1/30/2010
Okay, so here's the thing.

Your story is full of contradictions, out-of-character-ness, and hypocrisy, and the biggest problem with it is that it's centered around a completely false base.

I don't know if you heard what Gibbs said wrong or something, but I've been home sick with nothing but On Demand NCIS and White Collar to keep me company, and consequently, I've watched "Jet Lag" twice. Gibbs specifically says, "Our best agentS ARE with her." Note the plural. That would signify he's saying Tony AND Ziva are his best agents. Maybe you will counter that that is still favoritism, but look at it from this angle. The fiance of a key witness is worried about her. Are you going to tell him, "Two of our agents are with her", or "Our BEST agents are with her"? Would you want to heal a wound by putting a Band-Aid on it or by wrapping it in gauze and Neosporin?

Next, I have seen crackfics with better characterizations than this. Gibbs is not as oblivious as you portray him. Okay, he's quiet. Maybe he's never said, "Tony, McGee, Abs, Ziva, I see you all as my children, I love you equally and with all my heart", but he expresses this feeling through his actions. To Tony, McGee, and Ziva, he is the gruff, tough dad who you want to impress and be respected by. To Abby, he's a sweet father with a heart of gold who will always patch up her boo-boos. He doesn't play favorites. If Tony and McGee were hanging off a cliffside and he could only save one of them, he would die trying to save them both. He would do the same for any of the other characters.

Tony bashes McGee as much as a big brother bashes a little brother. Sure, at first it will seem hurtful, but later, you'll realize that it actually helped you grow up. At the beginning of the show, McGee was this scared little mouse who practically pissed his pants every time Tony talked to him. Now, he is a strong, confident individual who can take the ragging and throw it back in Tony's face, but here's the thing: he's all grown up now. He's not the kindergartner the eighth grader gives wedgies to anymore. Tony and McGee have a strong bond as well as a lot of mutual respect, and none of this is present in your story. Sometimes, Tony goes too far with the ribbing and the teasing. Has this happened in the past two seasons? NO. (cont)
chelsea1234 chapter 5 . 1/30/2010
That was a great chapter! Thanks :)
jtarh2o chapter 5 . 1/30/2010
Wow, great fic...I admit I don't always look at other pairings but the summary caught my eye and your story really engrossed me from the 1st chapter. I hope you are going to continue.
Better chapter 5 . 1/30/2010
Much better the last two chapters. If McGee isn't getting what he needs, isn't it his responsibility to say so instead of sulking around? It isn't Gibbs or Tony's job to chase Tim around and make sure he's okay. Abby asked for comfort, Tony followed Gibbs out and actively made sure he was in the loop.

I still think that Tim was beyond obnoxious to Tony during Bounce. After all, if the case hinged on the computer records and McGee is the tech wiz, who should have caught on that Reny was the wrong guy? But McGee was perfectly willing to lay the whole blame at Tony's feet and rub the failure in for good measure.
zats chapter 5 . 1/30/2010
Makes me think we should have a show to show how much a part of the team McGee is. Enjoyed reading about what he thought. Would like to read more.
Megan chapter 5 . 1/30/2010
You know McGee doesn't have a halo either. There has been mean stuff that he's done, or said too.
Reagan chapter 5 . 1/30/2010
I need a cypher pad to understand Gibbs at times. He really is that clueless and then he throws that curve at the end. Its a wonder McGee hasn't blown up before. Because being shunted to the side perpetually would wear on even the most thick skinned and Tim isn't that.

I'm not sure this is fixable. Its asking Tony to change who he is and requesting that Gibbs be someone he probably hasn't since Shannon was alive.

I look forward to how we got a thank you out of all this and hope you're not going to let Tony off the hook. This is mostly his doing and there needs to be some consequences.
spnMom chapter 1 . 1/29/2010
I like practical jokes as much as the next gal, but sometimes Tony does go too, too far... Thanks for posting, this is a great start.
play-fair chapter 4 . 1/29/2010
I gotta laugh at the people trying to rationalize Tony's behavior as harmless fun. These are the same people who get upset when Mcgee or Ziva give him back some of his own medicine. Somehow when it's them, it's no longer harmeless fun.

Tony can be funny and sweet and sometimes clueless as to how he comes off, but he can also be intentionaly mean. He's a classic case for an inferiority complex personality. His boasting and humor are used to cover up his insecurities. By the same token, he puts people down to make himself feel better.

Ziva is stong enough to take it and throw it right back with more force. McGee isn't but in the last two years he's begun to stand up for himself. Good for him.

You said no halos but it seems to me you're trying to gloss over the fact that Tony is at fault here and Tim should not have anything to apologize for. And while I think it's OOC for Gibbs to have been clueless all these years, it perfectly in character for him to have done very little about it. I think he's aware of the situation, just chooses to only faintly do anything about it because he too thinks this is how to toughen up McGee.

I'll be interested to see how this proceeds.
85 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 .. Last Next »