Reviews for Why We Watch
excentricAnthropologist chapter 1 . 5/16/2013
What a good fic! Beautifully written, and very tastefully done, considering the subject matter. I felt that you handled it perfectly.
Oniongrass chapter 1 . 4/5/2012
I feel the same way about Hetalia set in World War Two. I mean, he makes it the primary background for the series, then doesn't most of the things it's remembered for. At the same time though, I would really hate it if he did.
RockBabi chapter 1 . 4/1/2012
You know, I've read this a few times over the past several months since dicosvering you and your wonderful writing, but was never quite sure how to review. So I didn't. Which is terribly unfair of me-an author deserves to hear what people think about their work. In light of that I will say that (in a strange, perverse kind of way) I enjoyed this. Immensely.

Perhaps even stranger is knowing that my favourite sections were Germany's and the 1945 scene. You're right, they're very sensitive subjects and Hetalia glosses over them, but I see no reason why fanfiction should have to do the same. On the contrary, I think they are events that-terrible as they were-must be remembered and, when done as tactfully as you have, Hetalia fanfiction is an excellent vehicle for that. As you've already said, it's all good and well to laugh at history's odder moments but we can't be allowed to forget it's tragic ones either. How else can we learn and prevent them from happening again? [I believe you also said something similar to that in this fic-via England.]

Anyway, my history major is beginning to show so I'm going to wrap it up. You've done a great job with a difficult subject. I look forward to your next work(s). :)
The Purple and Green Monster chapter 1 . 9/21/2011
Oh, this is really sad. Really truth too. Even if I avoid reading this kind of fanfiction (lately) I love it. Is no exaggerating, is not lying, is just interpreting an event.

Hetalia leaves us go there, moments of history and all that in a different perspective from history books, more intimate.

I've feel the same way you did with hetalia, but them, for that is what fandom exist. The original series will be too serious and well tragic of being too real, so it explores the silly carefree aspects, and is so fun and makes you laugh so fucking much.

History is depressing, and with hetalia is ten thousands time worst, as it gives us a more impartial yet almost too personal view of a country, like a civil war.

So hetalia is really fun, then you look at the layers beneath and gets really sad. Because suddenly you are not laughing at this funny scene of Germany making lots of clocks, you're laughing at the after time of WWI.

But then you learn a lot. About wars and traditions and countries.

In resume I love this one-shot, even if I was looking for something a little more cheerful.

So, thanks for writting it and sharing it! Is a wonderful fanfic!
CrimsonAccent chapter 1 . 7/19/2011
America, Russia, and Germany's got to me the most, along with the final section.

That being said, all of the them were wonderful. Hetalia, like you said, is awesome, but it really is a light-hearted series that doesn't address the darker atrocious side of war/humanity.

Just wondering who you were referring to in America's section-"two children had started it to begin with". Was that a reference to The Crucible? All I remember from that book was that the ending made me angry as the girl/young woman who started it all walked way scott free.

So yeah. That's it I guess. I wish I could be one of those awesome reviewers that leaves five pages worth but I can't lol.

All of your work is amazing :)
Yoly chapter 1 . 6/30/2011
I tend to be immune to anything offensive so I think you including the Holocaust actually helped make the story more interesting in my opinion. I like how you also did it based on some real events.

Hetalia never bugged me in the least, since I knew from the beginning it was made only to make fun of things. So didn't care that it glossed over the events. However I enjoy the premises cause it spawns stories like the ones you write that people are work hard on to show the harsh reality of it.

Cause Hetalia opens up a lot of doors with those persona for fanfics and if it wasn't for Hetalia my history classes wouldn't have even been half as interesting and I wouldn't be actively searching up history either.

Either way I have a slight sadistic glee in seeing the countries reactions to execution. As well as seeing them suffering, so when I saw Germany vomiting and when America looked so distressed and England comforted him. I felt good, not cause they were suffering but cause they felt remorse and guilt. Strange I know but that how I am. I hope you continue these kind of writings, it the kind of thing I love to read about.
argella1300 chapter 1 . 3/20/2011
bravo! i think you did very well, considering the controversial issues you had to write about. you handled it in a very tactful manner. Well done.
ZemyxDexion chapter 1 . 9/8/2010
Love it! It was so well written, and serious but the characters weren't OOC, and just... just... so good!
EyesTurnedSkyward1969 chapter 1 . 7/21/2010
What is spacking? Like bickering or banter or something? My word processor says it's not a real word... is it British? Wow this was so cool! o-o? I was surprised that i knew what was happening in every one, but a little proud, too. ITaly is a biiit depressed, but it's only natural. He's so happy-go-lucky that all of that would probably really way down on him, the poor little feller. But, WOW. You really do your research. I know i'v said this before, but I love how you include historical events in your writing, and actual quotes and such. It makes it more life like, as if what's happening to the characters in the story is really a part of the history. Grand, splendid, bloody- great!
PikaNecoMico chapter 1 . 7/13/2010
If my sources are correct (and my 'sources' are/is my dad, who knows everything :D) England's witch trials could hardly be considered to be on a par with America's. Hardly any people were killed, and lots of areas just sent the witch-catchers packing.

Give us something to be proud of - granted that small redemption is overshadowed by murders of all kinds going on in that period, but...

As for the appropriateness of a fic like this - what you're really doing is reflecting on society with respect to atrocity, ne? All kinds of forms of writing do that, and I don't think it's distasteful.

The title made this for me - the way you related it at the end of the fic, and also for the other questions is poses, like the reason behind man's fascination with horror (England, public execution) or the origins of dispassion or apathy (seppuku).

I feel like a pretentious sycophant talking out of my arse writing this, but that's kinda what you get for writing a serious story and forcing me to try to communicate like a rational human being...
Naomi Hansen chapter 1 . 3/12/2010
-_-

I think France would still (sort of) be France, no matter what.

What I find weird is that in my mind, the APH characters are usually serious. It's somewhat simmilar to how they act in this fic. Maybe that's why I'm attracted to such, eh, "dark and/or morbid" stories like this. It kinda reminds me of this one fic where America was taken hostage by his own government and England, Canada, and a couple of other nations tried to save him.

Ooh! And speaking of serious fics, there's this Hetalia/V for Vendetta crossover called "Remember, Remember." Now THAT'S a serious fic! Poor England, though...

...And I'm not talking about what I originally wanted to say. I'm pretty sure that I won't be able to get back to it again either. So...

Eh.

Auf Wiedersehen? :
Lady Emzebel chapter 1 . 3/5/2010
I feel I must disagree. The fact that you use Hetalia characters to explain atrocities such as war crimes, execution etc. is amazing.

Of course, I shall not (cannot) deny that the Holocaust and everything before was not simply appalling, but to read about them through the eyes of well-loved characters such as these, it allows for more emotion I think.

This sort of writing makes reading about historical tragedies more than just flipping through a school text book. It means something.

Right; I'm done. Can I just say this was simply fantastic. Call me morbid, but I've always had a perverse fascination for methods of execution (cruel and inhumane though they may be) and this just sent chills down my spine. Japan's ending line was a slap around the face and I actually grimaced and clutched my stomach. (Honorable suicide indeed...owwie.)

In other news, I read the second chapter to Imperialism. Adored it. Alfred...how could you sink so low? I could not agree more with your end note on Iggy. We might seem like an old-fogey country nowadays, but mess with us and we'll kick encroaching-enemy buttocks. -ehem- Will you add more or is this the lot? (Either way I'm happy.)

Banzai!

L.E
Narroch chapter 1 . 2/15/2010
I pretty much already told you in person my gratitude and comments on this ficcy; but, since you insist, I will review it as well. Make it official and all.

Because I AM grateful! A fic about death and darkness for my birthday? You know me too well! XD Seriously though, reading this at 5 AM in the dark before swimmy had me grinning ear to ear as well as some spine shivers thrown in there. It was perfectly haunting, especially Italy. OH MAI... When I first read it I thought you were talking about Jesus for a second, like, omg I can't believe she just WENT THERE. But then, oh no, nothing special. Just the run of the mill crucifixion. Personally I don't think he was OOC at all in this. The tone you set out with completely validates his being miserable and if Hetalia were ever to touch on those unmentionable things (I would REALLY have to stop watching it then) Italy would probably react in that way. Germany too.

Though, historically anyway, America probably wouldn't have been crying. Not right away anyway, there was a lot of public support of the bombing when it first happened... But that is neither here nor there... O.o

Hmm, favorite part would probably be Russia. Not only do I have a soft spot for Anastasia, those last lines were just creepy and really stuck with me after I read it. Nice use of italics. :)

What was really cool about this fic, once you started getting into the specifics of events it felt more like I was reading really interesting history rather than a Hetalia fic. Meaning the country personifications were there, but they were background to their own history playing out in front of them, with no control over it. Only able to watch and learn, but even then, not so much. Obviously that was what you were going for. Well, it worked.

Your ANs were just as epic as the fic itself. The historians and their footnotes would be proud.

I guess that is it! Once again, thankyou thankyou THANKYOU for the fic! It was a lovely surprise. Better than being scared shitless by the other "surprise". God times.
IceSnowAndGlamour chapter 1 . 2/11/2010
Wow...this was great. I love how you connect all these historical events/eras with the common theme of watching what happens...

You write beautifully, and Italy's character was written really well...every word of his dialogue was stunning.

I like how you chose the Salem Witch Trials ,America's narration of a young child made it even more intense.

Great work.
Bistre Melancholia chapter 1 . 2/6/2010
Oh I love this story so much. Maybe it's my intense interest in execution or the fact that you covered some of my favorite moments in history (...that's actually really morbid now that I think of it). I love how each character has their own section and how the theme of God and well "why we watch" is interspersed throughout. I love how even though each character has a segment, it still goes semi-chronologically. I love how it's serious since you just can't do this type of story with humor of any kind. Oh let's just end this with I love this story and pretty much everything in it.

Bistre.