Reviews for Playing a Poor Hand Well
ryouko70 chapter 4 . 3/13
Very late review, but had to tell you this was a very good story! You did a great job at depicting these characters and their rather volatile relationship.
Helvettica chapter 4 . 2/6
Hey, just wanted to leave a comment after reading this story for the 4th time or so! It's really one of my favorites, and I don't have many... (I'm a picky reader.) Anyway, your character writing is GREAT. Both Dan and Rorshach are not easy to write, many people end up writing Ror too soft/pitiful and Dan too goofy. You got them just right. I also like the storyline. I always appreciate a writer who makes an effort to get the plot right. Reading about the characters with no motives is pretty boring... Especially if they interact in a romantic way. But this was really good.
Redflowercactus chapter 4 . 5/26/2013
This was beautiful to read. Excellect, excellent characterization. The UST is killing me so much though. xD This story is perfection.
12ofHearts chapter 3 . 12/14/2011
This is probably my favorite chapter in this Fic. Which is one of my favorite fics of all time. I guess I'm just a sucker for the fluff. *curses self* Oh well. Too late to be embarressed by disposition.
except 4 bunnies chapter 4 . 11/19/2011
Wow. That was really well written and in character and just really really good. Please write more/
ReaperDuckling chapter 4 . 10/22/2011
That was lovely, just... lovely.

I almost cried at the part where those (SON OF A BITCH AWFUL AWFUL AWFUL HORRIBLE MYAAAAAAJBKABOLANLDASN) neighbours interrupted Rorschach and Daniel in bed, the sudden, dead twist of when the situation turned desperately helpless. It was so frustrating XD

Anyway, great work, I loved it. :) 3
12ofHearts chapter 2 . 10/1/2011
I love the way Dan continues to further abuse the paper. It's a great running gag.
12ofHearts chapter 1 . 10/1/2011
Wow. My heart jumped when Ror offered to SHOW Dan how to take care of himself. And then his continued efforts to teach Dan to take care of himself. Now we're going to excersize, now you're going to learn to shave, ect.
Nocturnal Smile chapter 4 . 3/9/2011
I really loved your story, it was wonderful seeing their relationship develop and how much in character you kept them through it all. Adored it, great work!
mr. eames chapter 4 . 9/14/2010
So, I saw you aren't really updating on FFN anymore, but I figured I'd review, regardless, just in case you're still getting review alerts.

All I really have to say is...wow, I love this story. Quite possibly one of the best fics I've read, and definitely one of the best in this fandom. Very IC, very sweet (in a weird way, of course, characters considered, haha), and very interesting.

Loved it. :3
Scary Vampiress chapter 4 . 6/15/2010
Holy shit, this is amazing!
Monarch chapter 1 . 6/4/2010
Christ, that was brilliant.

I'd forgotten how much I love Rorschach until I read your story. When I read the bit where Nite Owl realized that the woman he saved 'could have been his neighbour', I had to look away from the computer for a second to absorb it. It really transformed Rorschach's mad vigilantism into something understandable and human and kind.

It made my heart ache, honestly. :)
Wandering Punk chapter 4 . 4/15/2010
I read this a while ago (and I have recced it on tvtropes) but I realised I was rude enough to not leave a comment at the time. Please forgive me D

That said, wow!

This was a joy from begining to end and while I was wary of the premise at first, you sold it to me completely and once I started reading I didn't question it at all. Everyone is so in character, and the dialogue is AMAZING. It SPARKLES. I love that you don't dismiss how horrible things are for them, but there's a dry humour throughout that stop things getting too angsty.

You clearly put a LOT of thought into everything and it shows. Wonderful!
The philosopher Kohboranua chapter 4 . 1/29/2010
Very charming! 8)

Also a perfect ending, imo.
SaintDogStreet chapter 1 . 1/29/2010
Oh my god, that was wonderful. Funny and dramatic. I really love what you did with the characters. . . they're IC, while giving us a new insight on them. Awesome.

Listing all my favourite bits would no doubt push me well past the maximum length of FFN reviews, but a few parts I really liked were:

""Hi, honey. How was your day?" Dan prays that his delivery is as deadpan as he thinks.

Rorschach fixes Dan with a look so filthy it makes him squirm (and his pulse pick up). He really misses the inkblots; at least they would let him pretend that expression could be casual indifference. Everything is so stark and raw now, truth laid open to the bone, and Dan's not so sure he's comfortable with that.

"Same as every day," Rorschach growls. "Shiftless clock-watchers taking every opportunity to shirk their duties, idling away hours at a time, prattling about trivialities. No respect for an honest day's work. Laughter is like nails down chalkboard, sets my teeth on edge. Feels like chewing grit for eight hours."

"Huh," Dan says. "Well, I did ask. Feel better for getting that out?"

"No.""

Because it was completely hilarious.

And also this line:

"Dan adds 'sleeping in' to his mental list of Things Rorschach Finds Morally Reprehensible, between 'skateboarding' and 'soap'."

For the same reason.

Anyway, the slow, subtle build-up of Daniel's feelings for his partner is really great, culminating in that perfectly done kiss at the end (You made shaving sexy. Nice.). And I love Rorschach teaching Daniel and letting him into his life. And the whole thing is just fantastically well-written and engaging and I cannot wait to see more. Really nicely done. Hope you update soon.

-SDS