Reviews for Button Up Your Overcoat
Sanger-sequence chapter 1 . 1/30
Wait, okay no, I'm not done flailing yet. More funny moments came to mind as I was ranting to my roommate about how great this piece was. Ed bitching about the Rickbaum paper and Roy wheedling him into rereading it anyways for the data. I've been present for several of those conversations in real life, and it was deeply funny seeing it in fiction. The only way it could have been more perfectly academia is if you'd written an alchemist prefacing their disdain for the author with "maybe I'm naive, /but/...", though of course Ed would never even passive-aggressively concede to naivete if his life depended on it. The line about Ed obscuring 4 pages of profanity in 24 pages of dense, technical prose was wonderful. I enjoyed the hell out of the nods to quantum, relativity, and fluid dynamics, especially when Ed was trying to use the uncertainty principle as a metaphor for politics. Describing the pinpointing of the traitor general as "collapsing the wavefunction" made me giggle out loud. The detail about Ed snagging his hairband from Roy's wrist was beautiful. Which reminds me that I really loved how organically the romantic subplot was written. Roy and Ed were vivacious leads and would have been a complete pleasure to read even with the romance, but the way you write them bouncing off of one another took the story to a new level. Even while being sincere, they never came off as unbelievably saccharine, and you convey their fondness for each other very well without needing to explicitly state it often. Using the usual "getting-the-idiots-together" subplot as a cover for political investigations was hilarious. I'm probably forgetting a lot of the moments I really enjoyed from the beginning of the story because I devoured it so fast, so I guess I'm done ranting for now, but yeah. There were a lot of really wonderful, vivid scenes that I'd love to illustrate if I ever find the time! No promises, but maybe some drawings may be coming your way in the future. Wonderful job, I hope you continue writing.
Sanger-sequence chapter 10 . 1/30
Wow, I'm so blown away. I adored every word of this from beginning to end. The pseudoscience and real science was fun and integrated with the plot so well. Your approach to alchemy definitely makes it feel more like the science it's framed as rather than the magic it comes off as in a lot of writing. There are so many funny moments I'd have to go back to list, including the first time Ed realizes he's been published in political theory, Fuery and Breda storming other people's offices for goldfish prices, and the bit about Roy reducing Ed to soft science. I loved Hawkeye's POV; her translation of all the subterfuge and her understanding of the things happening around her were like getting to see the trick behind a magic act. The political subterfuge was so fun. The double-talk was so fun. Ed hiding humdrum daily reports in academic essays of actual intellectual merit, while not fun for him, was a heck of a lot of fun for me. I'm imagining some poor doctoral student finding the original manuscripts in fifty years and realizing what the reports were really for. And that the Fuhrer's partner had used them to flirt on at least one occasion. Your timeskips were well-placed to avoid retreading ground. The fight scenes were a blast, both figuratively and literally, and Ed's as a chaos gremlin transmuting left and right on the battlefield and leaving florid furniture in his wake is the only Ed I will accept. Honestly, I could go on. This is definitely getting a save as one of my favorite fanfics of all time and a reread at some point. Thanks for putting this out into the world!
Salinedreamsxena chapter 10 . 5/22/2017
Thank you so much for this masterpiece. Bless you.
Salinedreamsxena chapter 6 . 5/21/2017
Ed and Roy actually talking about feelings... well at least Roy talks about them while Ed gets loud. It's just delicious to read. The slow build toward those two idiots figuring out how to love each other properly is just divine.
SynDeath chapter 10 . 5/21/2017
This was a beautiful wonderful story!
I simply couldn't stop reading it!
Your writing was so good, the descriptions on point, the pace and action engaging, and the conversations were so interesting! The way you developed their relationship was exquisite, the plot was exciting, and the different PoVs helped give a better picture of what was going through. Amazing story!
Guest chapter 10 . 1/19/2017
i loved that! :D

in the first chapter i was like "wait...really? Eds actually going to stick with that?" but then i started LOVING that idea XD i could totally see Ed actually sticking with that story, and the way you made in actually make sense, i could see how the military world actually believe his lie. great work with that!

the plot was always interesting, and i loved the way you handled the characters, mainly the Roy and Ed stuff X3 they so cute!

i was lost on some of the military talk, i had to ask my brother a few times to explain military stuff to me lol. and i was lost on the quantum stuff XD

thank you for writing such an amazing story! i really wish you world make a short story that takes place, maybe a few years later? this fic had alot of action, but i loved your romantic stuff! and i would love to read more of it, maybe you could write a fic that focused more on the romantic side? didn't Roy promise Ed a whitewater vacation or something? maybe do a short story on that? :3

-ZeyTheFox-
Cricketsong.1985 chapter 10 . 1/13/2017
What a wild ride, that was great!
It took me some time to get into the 'thickness' of your writing, your sentences are often long and complex but everything was so well put together and thought out, it made for a fantastic read. I absolutely adored your renditions of Ed and Roy, you were true to FMA and to both of them throughout this story. I grinned to myself so many times reading this, it was a very satisfying read.
inuyashamunkey chapter 10 . 6/3/2016
Great fic XD
Sodium Bicarb chapter 10 . 2/25/2016
This was adorable! I loved your balance of action and romance.
LaureaDaphne chapter 10 . 7/13/2015
This story was pretty awesome! I enjoyed reading it!
ilyena damodred chapter 10 . 4/18/2015
I absolutely love this story, thank you so much for writing it. D
neveryears chapter 10 . 9/1/2014
Marvelous work!
xBunni chapter 10 . 6/13/2014
Definitely one of the fics with the best plot I have ever read in over a decade that I've been reading fics. The plot was thoroughly thought-out and immaculately implemented, and if it wasn't and you'd just manage to pull everything out as it came, then you, sir/madam, are a genius.

It's very refreshing to read a fic where the coming together of the couple isn't the one main focus, but actually a natural part of the story. I was worried when there was a hint of Havoc and Winry, as randomly pairing other surrounding characters is usually not a good sign in my books, luckily it didn't go any further.

I wish there was an epilogue, the end just came so fast that I miss this story already, even though I'd just finished reading it. Thank you a million times over for this spectacular fic. I look forward to catching up on your other fics too.
KkChibiChop chapter 10 . 6/5/2014
Awesome! This story was intelligent and extremely fun to read! I loved every bit of it! XD
sierra.steinbrecher chapter 1 . 5/9/2014
You know, I think he should go with the silver shoes.