Reviews for Nary a Cloud in the Sky
Nina feliz chapter 1 . 12/31/2011
I love this :B

I love the umbrella story. Yes the bedtime modus operandi works (XD)
Window Girl chapter 1 . 12/2/2011
It totally works. I can see Oswald's mother ingraining class prejudice and a sense of superiority in him. I like the last line a lot.
Wandering Thought chapter 1 . 10/6/2011
WOW.

Just. Wow. This is such a well-written, almost whimsical story of the Penguin's past. You really did your homework and created such an enthralling yet soft story that I was actually moved by this. Thanks so much for this, I can't believe there's so little reviews for this! Still, I love the narrative, I also love how out-of-Gotham this story-telling style is. It's almost as if we're the onlookers looking through the eyes of his own mother (well, at least, this is how I felt about it). It really fitted perfectly from the beginning to the end. So seriously, thanks, and well done!
Cartoonatic55 chapter 1 . 5/2/2010
Wow. That was... Endearing. I really liked it. It seems to describe Penguin's past fairly well, and the narrating was pretty good. Way to retell the back story of my favorite character in a mother-like bedtime story. -
4ofCups chapter 1 . 3/28/2010
Admittedly, I know very little about the background of The Penguin, but you lay a creepy groundwork for some unsettling "mother issues", which certainly could be the foundation for his adult personally and modus operandi. It's a believable backstory and presentation.
Jan Qin chapter 1 . 2/9/2010
The bedtime story narrative does work but I would like to see Mother a shade darker with more teeth. If Oswald is what he is because of his mother's ambition, than why not make the old bat happy by being an accountant, why crime? Why the over riding need to put a price on everything? Is that what Mother taught her little boy? That everything can be bought and sold and money is the key to respect, love and everything that has been denied them? More dark love more dark.
Matt the Batman Fan chapter 1 . 2/9/2010
I think the narrative style worked fairly well and offered a unique interpretation of what could have made Oswald what he was. Plenty of irony in the fact that neither Pengy nor his mama can understand the hypocrisy of their actions and that, of course, leads to their social downfalls. The connection between the unforgiving innocence of the umbrella as a child and what it's used for as an adult is also a nice usage of personification.

Another short and sweet look-in to a unique character and that is definitely one of your strong suits. Salut!
anon chapter 1 . 1/31/2010
Yeah with the Iceberg Cobblepot makes more money than any crime spree