Reviews for After The Sun Shined
Strawberry Eggs chapter 27 . 1/1/2013
Even though I started reviewing with chapter 8, I had been reading this story for some time before then. I hadn't been following this story since the very beginning, but it almost feels that way. It's kind of funny looking back at the earlier chapters, especially since it seemed you had originally intended for this fic to last 7 or 8 chapters. Well, I'm quite glad you decided to extend it. I can only guess at what your initial intention for the story was, but I really enjoyed that it became a sort of novella about Emil and Marta's lives together.

I mentioned this a few times before, but I also liked how as the story progressed, your writing skill progressed as well. It lasted two years so it was expected, but it was still neat to follow I enjoyed your story throughout, even if the first few were a little short, but I also liked how it got better over time as well. As I've said many times before, I also think you really understand Emil and Marta, as individuals and as a couple. That's just one reason why this fic is so great.

I will miss this story. I am glad to see it end, but at the same time I will miss anticipating and reading new chapters. Thank you so much for bringing us After the Sun Shined. Thank you for continuing it even when things got rough or busy in your life. It's not just a highlight on the Maril fandom (I need to remember to use that term more often, ha ha), but on the Tales of Symphonia fanfiction section in general. It has become one of my most favorite fanfic stories ever. :)

Good luck in all your writing endeavors, be they fanfiction or something original. I will of course read any other ToS fics you write, and maybe even the Legend of Zelda ones.
Strawberry Eggs chapter 25 . 1/1/2013
I see you went with a bittersweet ending. I suppose it would be too idealistic for there to miraculously be a way to bring the dead back. After all, as Presea contemplated, many people died over the course of both of these games. It’s still a shame, but at least they can talk to Thea and see her frequently. That’s better than a lot of people who’ve lost a loved one can say.

The overall mood of the final chapter (more so the second-to-last) is appropriately melancholy and to repeat myself, bittersweet. From the discussion between Raine and Genis over what happened to the end of chapter 25 where the doors to the chamber where the gate to Nifelheim is, and even the epilogue where Aster contemplates which parents they’ve taken after, I thought you depicted that mood very well.

This reminds me of song lyric I used to often like to quote: “Happy ending aren’t what I want all the time; sometimes tears are an essence.” While it’s hard for me to completely agree with that line, I do think that always having a happy ending would be unrealistic and kind of cheesy. It’s not like it’s a completely unhappy ending anyway. This was probably the best way to end the fic under these circumstances.

On a related but random note, with Thea living in the Ginnungagap, I can imagine her learning “the ways of summon spirits” from Ratatosk. Things like manipulating mana, calling on monsters, teleporting, maybe even how to change forms. “Look Daddy, I can turn into a dragon!” (For some reason, I have it in my head that the last form Ratatosk took before he first met Aster and Richter was a dragon. Actually if you really want crazy, I lazily imagine that dragon looking like the Pokémon Rayquaza. :P)

I’d almost hate to nitpick at such a time like this, so I’ll keep it brief and there aren’t too many. I can only remember like two to three typos, and I won’t point them out because their easy to miss. There also little niggles like calling the Ginnungagap the demonic realm (it’s the world between worlds) and Tenebrae and Aqua being calling summons spirits (though Centurions and summon spirits are rather similar).

I will give you a sort of overall review and look back over the whole story, but I must get to work. I’ll write that review either on my break, or when I return home. I will say thank you for the special mention. :)
Oracle2Phoenix chapter 27 . 1/1/2013
I'm quite sad this has come to an end. It was the first fanfic I encountered. Thanks for the special mention.

If you do write a Legend of Zelda fic, please don't give Link a speaking part. The unique character trait regarding Link is that he never talks, people seem to forget that.

Out of interest have you played any of the other Tales games? I recently acquired Tales of Vesperia and it is good. Also got its Prequel on Blueray. That was cool to.

Happy Hogmanay to you.

Oracle of Phoenix
Puppylove7 chapter 24 . 12/14/2012
Nice chapter. Please update soon.
Crimson Reaper Ragna chapter 24 . 12/12/2012
I'm gonna say this right now.

The moment I read the first chapter, I became ADDICTED.

I can't wait for the last chapter and epilogue!

Good luck on the finals! :D
Naekane chapter 24 . 12/12/2012
Whoops, I did see that I wasn't signed in. That last "Guest" review is mine, lol.
Guest chapter 24 . 12/12/2012
Ohhh, so there is a way Emil and Marta can see Thea! Maybe they can save her, too! There's gotta be a way right? Also, I really like how your wrote Tenebrae here and it's so heartbreaking to see Marta so sad.

I know, I know, we'll find out soon enough. Wow, has it really been nearly two years since I started reviewing this fic? It'll be a little sad to see it finally end, but at the same time, I can't wait.

So yeah, great chapter. I can't wait for the next one!
Strawberry Eggs chapter 24 . 12/11/2012
Ha ha, when I got the alert in my email box, I thought "wow, what a lovely birthday present!" It seems that by sheer coincidence, your father and I share a birthday, heh. (And I do mean the 11th. I started typing this around 11:00ish)

Ah, and here is Tenebrae in his rare serious form. We all love him for his dead-pan snarkery and love of bad puns, but he does have this serious, sagacious side to him, too. I thought you depicted his seemingly meandering, but poignant, talk to Emil to get him to see that Thea’s fate was not his or Marta’s fault very well. Them being able to meet with Thea does offer a glimmer of hope. Will they once again over come impossible odds? Or will this be a bitter sweet ending.

Speaking of endings, I gather there are at least two chapters left to this story. I should be saving the whole “looking back on the fic” for the actual end, but I will say that this has been quite the experience. I anticipate these chapter with eagerness. Excellent chapter, as always, Ms. Hotishi.

On a related side-note, I am a little amazed at how many of your readers came out of the woodwork to review for last chapter. While she may be a child and the daughter of our favorite couple, there’s something to be said about people being saddened by the death of a character we only see for one chapter. Nicely done.
Fury Writer99 chapter 23 . 12/9/2012
*sob*…Emil and Marta must be in shock hearing that their daughter have died but still doesn't know that she wasn't mortal. I can't help but wonder over Colette's reaction either though considering she soon is going to have a baby too. She must be horrified at the thought of what may happen to her and Lloyds child but honestly. I've never seen a better Martil (i call them that) story ever before! great job on the story and please keep updating and finishing the story!
Guest chapter 23 . 12/5/2012
(look me up on youtube as arcerus22) I was always a fan of ToS2 and your story is fantastic. I started reading it a few days ago, and now i want to see how this will turn out. I'll admit, Thea dying was pretty shocking but expected. But i was kind of hoping for something like they would have to stop a new villain or demon. Anyway i'd really like to see how this turns out
Guest chapter 1 . 11/27/2012
u know i cant stand death in a story unless i hate the person who dies but really? i mean this is emil and marta happy life right the beginning and somewut in the middle was fluffy and i read the lemon at where it tied in im srry if im sounding like this is a bad story its not i could be the (if it ever happens that is) 3rd game but the deaths and stuff was bad really bad if that was going to happen anyways why even get the good ending? just take the bad ending and dont suffer so much wut im geting ay is this was really happy and stuff but then the grim reappear had to show up if this was all happy and loveing i would give it a 10/10 but now a 5/10 srry thats just how i feel about death in a story oh and is it wrong to lol at the bad ending cuz i did dont know why thou i must be cold
sok17 chapter 12 . 11/27/2012
will i try to find the "night of passion" but i can only find night of desire?
Puppylove7 chapter 23 . 11/20/2012
Oh no, poor Thea. That was one sad chapter to read. I really hope you change the direction and make it a happy ending for this. Anyways, please update soon.
PINKDIAMOND4000 chapter 23 . 11/19/2012
nooo! DX Thea! no! How sad! TAT poor girl! it was her fate, but still! this is so sad! DX
Oracle2Phoenix chapter 23 . 11/19/2012
You better have a happy ending, planned. The games were all about making the supposedly impossible possible. I can't imagine Lloyd allowing Thea to be condemned to an eternity protecting the Ginnungagap, and I can't imagine the others standing for it either.

I hope it doesn't take long for you to update.
101 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 4 5 .. Last Next »