Reviews for Fragments of sanity
Acliptika chapter 1 . 3/31/2015
I've read the whole 2 Chapters now, and I must say that was an impressive piece of work. I like the way you build up each character. You gave them a reason for their revenge and thought your detailed explaining, for example the feelings between Diego and Sotos daughter or the scene between Soto and Diego at the cliff (especially this one), I can fully understand how they felt and how they behaved.

While reading the story, especially the part between Soto and Diego, when they looked down at the human camp and the furs of their skinned packmates, i had constant chills down my whole spine and I really took the emotions, like anger, hatred, sorrow and misery, they must've felt!

Keep on doing Great Storys like this.

Greets.
Acliptika
Michelle chapter 2 . 12/15/2012
It's so weird how everything tured out with Manny and Sid, and how Diego became the tiger we know him as he is. I know he misses Soto's daughter but at least he now has Shira.( Shira is a character that comes out in Ice Age 4)
GirlFromNorth chapter 2 . 8/30/2011
!Wow...

I can't say much more than: You. Are. Awesome. So sorry for my bad English, but I guess it's better this way...I mean, then I can't go on with "lovelovelovelovelove-blah blah"...

*adds story to favorites*
MayDayGirl-Save-Our-Ships chapter 2 . 5/4/2010
I really noticed your writing in this one, you're really good! I just love how you write Diego, his position in the pack, and his loyalty. He really respects Soto and it sounds like Soto used to be a really good leader. Interesting insight on Lenny, I never noticed his fangs were that short until now.

I was wondering, what are you modeling the pack after? Do you really know about Sabers, are you using another pack animal, or are you just making it up? For example, your ideas about having a 'tracker' in the pack, and how that positional is for the weaker members is interesting, and sounds like it could be a real position. You also mention 'Alfa and Beta' for the top and second to top positions. These terms are usually used for wolves, as are a lot of pack-related things you incorporated, but they make sense that a large cat that lives in a pack would have simular situations and terminology. Basically I'm just wondering where you came up with this stuff, and if you know that this is how Sabers used to work. It all fits really well in your story and I guess I am just curious.

I loved this story btw. You captured each of the Sabers personalities nicely and in your own unique way.
~Shrine
chipbatlion720 chapter 2 . 2/13/2010
This is definately an interesting concept, as well it fills in a few plotholes, like when Oscar said that statement to Diego in the first movie, "Can we trust you with that Diego." So all around this a good story.
FABCHICKXO chapter 2 . 2/11/2010
Wow! Your stories impress me! Your writing is so great!I love the way you analyze the characters, reveal lost pasts! I love your writing style!

Please write more really soon! :D
debit13 chapter 2 . 2/4/2010
Wow - I really didn't think this story needed a second chapter but you really put some great twists on it all - Diego's somewhat cold attitude being influenced by his leader, Oscar's anger toward someone that he confided in for his problems; there are a lot of details worth taking a look at.

Just subscribed to you so I can see any of the new stories you create.
DiegoRedeemedLover chapter 2 . 2/4/2010
Man, the part where they're looking at the skins is really sad... Diego never got to tell Soto's daughter he loved her before her death...

I also thought it fascinating how you mention that Diego wishes he could just lay down and sob his heart out, but since Soto despises 'childish weakness' he can't, but later in the Original Film we see tears in Diego's eyes when they are witnessing what befall Manny's family, so it thought that was cool how you contrasted Diego's tender warrior (Stop looking at me like that. He is.) sensitivity with Soto's harsh grief/ despair that has totally deprived him of all reason and compassion - even for his own pack! Personally, I always have considered Soto a foil to Manny especially when it comes to how they treat the murderers - the humans - after such a horrific loss on both their parts.

The tension you have in the conversation when Soto is showing Diego- er, the skins - I never noticed that it seems Diego is just giving answers to Soto's demands, but I always felt he seems uneasy about it, like he didn't really want to take a BABY just to satisfy his leader's vengeance.

I also like how you mention that Diego detested having to be choose between two evils in trying to explain to Soto the need to let go, and help and the others, being stuck between Scylla and Charybdis; even when he switches sides to secure Manny's asylum when it came down to it.

I always thought that way too, that Diego had two unsatisfactory choices near the end of the Film, and scoured the dictionary for it, the only word closest to that being dilemma.

Once again I find my review is really long and wordy; but your stories are so deep, insightful, and well-written, I can't help it. Great work!
debit13 chapter 1 . 2/4/2010
Spectacular. The premise of this fan-fiction is just great. It appeals to me when a person can take a small detail and blow it up into a great story like this one.

I absolutely enjoyed how you took a not-so-well defined character and gave him his own title - his own feelings and emotions. Sure, in the first movie, Oscar comes across as a sly, and somewhat cocky character. But in here, you give him a chance to talk with Diego, something that was never quite achieved in the first movie. Because of this change (or inclusion, more so) of this part of the story, you gave yourself room to manipulate Oscar's character and you did an amazing job.

The descriptions of the dead tiger pack just come alive with the word usage and the characters that you described that weren't currently alive just vividly blew up in my mind.

The desperation in Oscar was great because it is very believable with your setup. The description of Soto's lunacy is also nice because if you look back to the first movie, you can see his frustration when Zeke and Lenny talk about eating Manny (and Soto steps in saying nothing will happen until he gets the baby).

You took minor details and just made it into something amazing.

Also, as far as making another chapter...I think this would be better as a one-shot. Regardless: story added to favorites, and author added to favorites. Absolutely loved it.
E.M.K.81 chapter 1 . 2/3/2010
I love it. Please continue, I'd like to read that discussion between Diego and Soto.
goldenpuon chapter 1 . 2/2/2010
I always felt like Ice Age 1 didn't have enough of Diego's pack in it, like they needed more scenes and dialogue. I'm pleased that someone finally made a story about the pack before the start of Ice Age 1 that has Diego's packmates as the main characters. Very well written too. Keep up the good work!
FABCHICKXO chapter 1 . 2/2/2010
Another great short story from you! Wow is all I can say. Where do I even start, you have so many good descriptions. And what I really like about this story, is that you have managed to take a moment that probably would have lasted about five minutes. And wrote it down in a way that took a long, but rewarding time to read! You know where and how to word stuff in the exact right way. (If that makes any sense, lol!) I just love your stories. And they focus on my favorite character, which is something that I love! Keep writing ;)

-Kelli
DiegoRedeemedLover chapter 1 . 2/1/2010
Me again. Minor addendum: I meant, "For the PACK'S benefit." Sorry.
DiegoRedeemedLover chapter 1 . 2/1/2010
Like it- I like this a lot. Especially all the irony and foreshadowing present in one little conversation. Mostly in the case of Diego, who later will do the very thing to protect the herd - but I can see the conflict within him it already presents. Once you've won a tiger's loyalty, nothing will break it.

The reasons you gave for Oscar's resentment, jealousy and envy in the movie directed towards Diego made a lot of sense.

I also thought it fascinating that the loss of the members of their pack drove the surviving members mad - and the barely decipherable note that Diego had feelings for Soto's daughter, which is understandable, he grew up with her. And Soto took him in, too, which really drives the point about why Diego is unwilling to mutiny against the alpha for the herd's benefit.

And I can surmise that Diego and Soto's conversation will only end a death threat (Which is practically what he holds over Diego's head the entire movie. Man, I wish there was italics here for the reviews...) and something along the lines of Diego HAS to get that baby, or he's done for! Soto has gone mad...

Next chapter soon please!