Reviews for Harold and Morgan: Not A Romance
Rosazul66 chapter 20 . 6/24
"They give so much and so well, their lives burn out that much quicker"

I could quote the whole story -and the whole of all the stories I have read of you are completely quotable (they are that good)- but I specifically love that quote. Excellent work!
Monsters of NY chapter 21 . 8/25/2015
This is either the first chapter of "Harold and Morgan" I hadn't gone through in my initial reads, or the last one I'd actually read before moving on; either way, this is a treat. I have to say, I just love the various bankers. I'm a sucker for Regular People Who Are Good At Their Jobs, and seeing it combined with the assertion that There Are Many Ways To Be Good At One's Job, People Working Hard to Try and Make Things Work. and inter-faction tension makes me very happy.
Equilly chapter 27 . 8/23/2015
Fantastic story, as per usual; it took me quite some time to get into H & M- I always told myself that, much as I loved your other stories, I wouldn't like this one because I don't enjoy OC romances with the Pevensies. I finally decided to read this one and found that of course you had managed what could have been a trope just perfectly, as usual. You have such a knack for fleshing out your OCs and giving them such substance and color, from Morgan and Jina to the rest of TSG cast, to the extent that I find it difficult to read Narnia stories that don't feature them.

One question: do we ever get resolution with the Meryls?

In sum: yet another intriguing, well-written, funny, and clever story from rthstewart!
Whyhow chapter 22 . 7/21/2015
Thank you for finally providing a time frame. We have already seen the Narnian yule, and I kept wondering when the other sections took place relative to that.
Whyhow chapter 21 . 7/21/2015
A particularly clever feature of this story is the way news travels we often hear a more rapid and accurate version of events than the characters, and they act based on what they know, not what we know.
Guest chapter 11 . 7/20/2015
This is very well written, but I think that your greatest accomplishment (so far, at least) is your realistic OCs and world building. That really surprised me, since the main point and cause of amusement in the preceding fic was the writing style.
Whyhow chapter 7 . 7/20/2015
When was he a doorstop?
Guest chapter 9 . 5/20/2015
I love the conversation there at the end. Edmund is so wise as King!
Guest chapter 4 . 5/19/2015
Morgan seems autistic. I like her
Guest chapter 1 . 3/31/2015
Whoops
I was saying englisch is my third languages
Well I just wanted to say it probably is a great story :)
Guest chapter 1 . 3/31/2015
Hey so I promised my self I would always leave a review after I stop with a story
As you can see I didn't came far :D
That is because I couldn't read it
I'm sorry this is just written in such a... I don't know old english?
I guess you can't expect that I can read that I mean I am only 13 and English is my third langu
Trebleclef2 chapter 28 . 3/22/2015
Hi Rth,

I finished this wonderful story a few weeks ago in about a week and enjoyed every minute. There's not a thing about it I didn't love. Having only discovered it after it was complete, I find it hard to believe that there wasn't much reader interest at some points, as you mentioned in your ANs!

Morgan, of course is a wonderful character that I was intrigued by right from her first appearance in 'By Royal Decree', but I really became heavily invested in her in this story. It was very brave and refreshing of you to write an OC with a trait like Asperger's, and you did it very well. I love her quirks and awkwardness and even her faults. She's probably the most memorable OC I've ever read, and you developed her so well throughout this story, to the point that she was able to make eye contact with Edmund for even the briefest of moments (I about melted at this point with emotion). I love her hard work drive and try to channel her when I'm procrastinating from studying! (I do try to remember to eat/sleep though, as I don't have Edmund/Pierce/a Palace Guard to look after me! :-P)

I really appreciate your portrayal of Edmund. Like Morgan, you added so many layers to his character. I loved the ongoing theme in BRD and this story of the battle between his imagination and his rational side! Yay for his imagination! Also his ability to dismiss things as 'not relevant'. I am halfway through 'The Queen Susan in Tashbaan at the moment (and am very much enjoying it!), and, being the hopeless Harold and Morgan shipper that I am, I live for any mention of her in your stories of This Side of the Wardrobe. I suppose that makes me a bit of a sadist because even the thought of what he has lost causes Edmund so much pain. And the big question - does Edmund know/suspect he has a child? To be honest, I'm not sure whether I want this even answered - the ambiguity adds to the suspense/sadness felt by the reader, as is probably what you intended.

[But-maybe-sometime-in-the-future-you-could-write-a-scene-from-Peter's-POV-clarifying-THAT-line-sorry-not-sorry]

Their relationship was at all stages well-written, interesting, moving, and was NEVER predictable. I can't even begin to describe all the scenes that made me smile like a fool at my Kindle or the amount of times I had to swallow a lump at the back of my throat as Edmund and Morgan blundered about in their usual fashion, somehow managing to be irresistibly course there was times I could have screamed in frustration - they *are* Harold and Morgan after all!

Some stand-out scenes in their relationship for me:
When Edmund tells Morgan about his past, something few other people know about. And the ink was such a wonderful and thoughtful present which I know Morgan must treasure.
Morgan's accepting 'money' from the Narnians, saying to Edmund that she knows it is precious to them to give, and his realisation of how truly remarkable Morgan is.
Edmund's Yule letter to Morgan - he used the word love! After stumbling around it for so long he picked a poem that mentioned love like 3 times, and he signed off 'With my deepest affections and love'. No wonder she kept it!
And most of all, her arrival home in ship from the Lone Islands. Them hiding from each other was so quintessentially them - that whole scene was perfect and I grin like an idiot whenever I think about it.

I could wax on for ages about how wonderful Jalur and Jina were (and now Rafiqa) but you've probably heard it all before. Jalur's joy at hearing the Cub and him ordering Morgan's womb about are just too funny. I think that Morgan really has a special place in Jalur's heart and that they'd be very close during her pregnancy and all that followed after the Four left. I love imagining Jalur meeting the Cub for the first time after he's born - something of course that Edmund will neer be able to do...

(I did read Rejection of the Terms as well though and loved it also, but in a different way than I love this ending if that makes sense? I especially loved Peter's role in that one, and the mention that Morgan had had at least two miscarriages - in my head I like to think that chapter 1 of that story slots into this story before 'Acceptance of the Terms')

Hmmm, I left too long after reading this story before I reviewed it; as I was reading it (on my Kindle) I had a mental checklist of things to mention, but now the details have melted into one big wonderful mess that I've added my own bits to in my headcannon. I will say that I love the Narnia you've created here; the household Staff, the Rats and Crows, everything. The Banker's syndicates deserve a special mention - they were a pleasant surprise, as you managed to make the world of financial intrigue interesting, exciting and understandable to me. The wealth of OCs never got boring, and I ended up caring about them every bit as much as the cannon characters. Director Linch's interactions with the Narnians were priceless (they corrected his sums!) and the Pierce/Morgan/Maeve interactions were great. Maeve and Morgan's collaboration on the last day of Conclave was good to see and I hope they grow to be able to get on tolerably well in the future. Oh, and will Constance's meddling ever be revealed? I have to say, I never liked her much! I can't believe she managed to fool Jina! On the whole, I loved your descriptions of the Lone Islands as a place.

One last thing - the most memorable, funny, touching (and many other adjectives) of the whole story, for the strangest reasons - that Otter bringing that bruised, battered orange to Morgan across the mountain pass. Oh my god, I just burst out laughing whenever I think about it! And Aslan's later reference to it, that no Otter ever carried an orange across a mountain pass for Him - that was truly wonderful. That will truly stick with me for a long time that will.

Anyways, I think it's time for me to finish this very lengthy review! I'm making my way through your Spare Oom stories and they're excellent. Please keep writing, you have such a gift and we as readers are privileged to enjoy the fruits of your efforts. I love how you put so much thought and research into the backgrounds of your stories and characters - I'm not on LiveJournal myself but I often pop over to your page to read your posts and comments.

Thank you for the wonderful stories and for all the enjoyment I have gained from them.
Lisa :-)
W. H. Stoddard chapter 19 . 3/21/2015
That's a compelling piece of writing, with a fine sense of decorum. I think it's the most emotionally charged thing I've seen of yours. To my mind writing with emotional impact is a good thing and should be celebrated.
The Ghostly Galoomp chapter 7 . 10/12/2014
Chapter 7

Wow, it’s been a while since my last review. Not dead, just busy chasing my own tail!

Liked seeing Edmund settling into his new job. In spite of the undercover aspect it really is that process, right down to worrying about the quality of his work. The viciousness of the handball games had me laughing and wincing on his behalf. It’s an interesting thing about the Bankers – they discourage most violence, but they also _encourage_ aggression in channeled forms. They don’t just arrange their members’ marriages, but their personal enemies as well. It was disturbing how normal it seems to be. “Well, sure, we pitted two children against each other in order to create a lifelong bitter enmity, what about it? It’s good for them!” No way that could go horribly wrong. Nice way of bringing up thoughts about what counterparts may exist to that custom in the real world. Everyone has probably seen a case of “arranged rivals.” People just like to pretend that it happens by accident.

It took me until this chapter to notice the surnames had Earthly counterparts. LOL!

Interesting to see that the leaders of two separate Banking clans are actually siblings. The family dynamics and how alliances form or don’t between groups – must be interesting. And difficult, if you’re the one dealing with the complexities of living there. I love that this story has a perfectly serious reason for a medieval CEO to be asking whether a rabbit can understand a capitalization agreement. Well, maybe it depends on whether the Rabbit is capitalized…

Nice scenes with Ed and Morgan. They’re coping reasonably well, considering the overwhelming duties they have to deal with for the upcoming Conclave. It’s not very romantic as situations go, but that’s good in a way. They get to see how each deals under pressure and whether/how they can support each other. Seems to be positive so far. They’re cute. Serious “aww” for Morgan mentoring Edmund. Her terribleness to work for seems to be a bit overstated by office rumor and legend, though with the workaholism I’m sure she has her moments. (They’re _all_ workaholics, though!)

Constance shows a different side of living in the Banking houses. She seems to be shuffled to the side in her clan, but she notices things. (I was interested in the detail about working space revealing a person’s relative status among the Bankers – to the victor goeth the swanky office, apparently) Her and Morgan’s dread of the Ladies Luncheon is a little amusing just because of the title, but it sounds like it’s a terrible pressure on them.

“Alan, Seth, and Pierce were Bankers. Bankers. They were not Kings. Or Knights. Or Lords. Or Counts. Or Dukes. They did not ride horses, wield swords, or carry concealed knives. They had never killed a Giant. Or led an Army or a charge. They had never swung aboard a burning pirate ship to rescue the captives. And here they were, wading into a bevy of very intelligent, highly competitive, mostly attractive women, who were impressed with them! Impressed! There was not even any of that irritating hair twirling so common among silly women! There was chatting! Laughter! Flirting!”

The grass is always greener… this was fantastic.
shirawords chapter 1 . 10/9/2014
I am absolutely in love with this story, and all the rest of your Narnia stuff. Thank you!