Reviews for Lucky Lady
ToshimiOkami chapter 19 . 12/9/2014
So trippy. Wasn't shaw from twelve? Did Circe just pass out and he keel over? Wishful thinking? Thanks for the read! XD
Echo chapter 18 . 9/21/2013
You had me fooled so hard. Thanks for this story you little troller. :)
Dude chapter 19 . 11/2/2012
U let her die?!
What?
I thought she wud live

Omg

Good writing throughout the story though
The-Procrastination-Station chapter 8 . 7/19/2012
I like this
M chapter 8 . 3/27/2012
Oh my gosh this is lovely! This is the first story I've read with original tributes, and I am very much enjoying it. Tora is my favorite so far. I am hoping to hear more about her later on!
Obiwanlivesforever chapter 19 . 5/1/2011
Awwwww maaaaaaan. I knew it was coming, but after really reading the whole thing all the way through, getting to know Circe, seeing how close she was ... that was just heartbreaking. At least she got to have a final meal. And at least it was Shaw and not a Career who won. And at least he let her say her last words.

Her realization about Iah, their possible children, and being a ‘Lucky Lady’ was very deep and touching; I still wish she could have won, though. :(

But wasn’t there a purple pointed javelin in the Careers’ pile? Couldn’t she have used that as a weapon? Oh well, I don’t want the last sentence of my last review of this story to be a complaint. So I must end by saying: I really liked this story. It’s not my favourite of yours (Horrible takes that honour, obviously) but it’s pretty well-written, has an admirable amount of twists, turns, surprises and original concepts, I love the arena, the main character is likeable but not Mary Sue-ish in the least, and the other tributes come in a wide range of interesting personalities. Very good, and it’s with some sense of sadness that I leave my final review.

But there’s still Unlucky to read! (And What If, and Dead or Alive...)
Obiwanlivesforever chapter 18 . 5/1/2011
Um ... Circe’s kinda insane at the beginning of this chapter, isn’t she? Oh well, I can tack it down to being a dream. Still, it was kind of creepy how she was talking about wanting to watch the look in Twig’s eyes as he died; reminded me of Vivi (particularly as I was rereading parts of Brutal this morning.)

I know it wasn’t real, but I thought it was sort of funny and cool when Rim ‘killed’ Kyta. A backstabber, yes, but it’s probably a wise idea to eliminate your toughest opponents that way. What am I saying, I sound like a murderer? Your fics have driven me crazy!

I also thought the idea of bribing a Gamemaker was creative. Maybe a little unrealistic (and I can’t blame you for that since it is a dream) but I’ve definitely never seen it anywhere else.

It must have been really heartbreaking to wake up from that dream. Thinking you’ve won, that you’re going home, and then realizing it wasn’t real... It’s positively devastating.

So, in the dream, Rim betrayed Kyta, and in reality, Kyta betrayed Rim. Cool. *Can’t think of anything witty or profound to say.* Ah well, off to read the grand finale!
Obiwanlivesforever chapter 17 . 5/1/2011
I like the idea of hiding beneath the roots. Very inventive.

I reeeaaaally want to know who killed Twig. Since Circe said she didn’t hear the careers turn against each other (and since I’m not even sure the other two careers would be able to take him down) I’m guessing maybe Shaw got him with a bow and arrow, from the shelter of the trees? I suppose I’ll just have to wait ‘til we find out in Unlucky. Which, by the way, I have been diligently following; it’s just that I wanted to finish this before I started reviewing.

Okay, there’s a SPOILER here for people who haven’t finished the fic, but I just had to point out something I’ve realized. Since the latter half of this chapter is a dream sequence, I really like how you’ve included little details which seem a bit out-of-the-ordinary but are still easy to dismiss. Like how you said the islands seemed to have shrunken, and how the donation pile was so outlandishly big that it took up five islands with bridges between them. Upon first reading it would be easy to overlook how this is different from Circe’s initial description of the career camp, but then I remembered – it’s a dream; of course things are going to be disproportionate and stuff. I thought that was really clever. END SPOILERS.
Obiwanlivesforever chapter 16 . 5/1/2011
*Facepalms as Circe sends her only remaining weapon sailing away* You really didn’t think that through there, did you girl? Snap.

I know who the cannon blast was! *Resists urge to spoil the surprise* Heeheehee...

Aha, Phemus’ axe! I always tend to forget that tributes can scavenge off the supplies of already deceased tributes. After all, it’s not like hovercrafts take them away or something. Clever twist, there.

I love, love, love what you did with Kalis’ character. Turning the helpless twelve-year old into a cunning and resourceful killer. Just the fact that someone so young barely bats an eyelid at attempting to kill Circe is ... really, really eerie. And it’s tragic that Circe had to kill her, the one thing she didn’t want to do. But what else could she have done? The Hunger Games presents impossible dilemmas with no easy answers.

Oh, and by the way, I know the whole Fire Anemone incident happened a few chapters earlier, but I imagine it feeling just like my mouth did after my wisdom teeth surgery. It’s still hurting like that just now, actually. So now I can sympathize with Rim. Naw, not really. But you get my drift.
Obiwanlivesforever chapter 15 . 5/1/2011
Yay, it’s Sunday, and you know what that means! More reviews for Lucky Lady!

Ugh, that infection sounds terrible. She seriously got that just from hitting her hand against a tree all those chapters ago? Circe, you must be more careful, silly girl! You’ll get enough injuries in the Hunger Games from combat as it is.

I enjoyed reading Circe’s inner reflection on whether or not she would want to be a career. It’s always cool to look at the career program from the perspective of an outsider who could easily have been one of them. Interesting to see that she couldn’t figure out an answer to that question.

Ah, I remembered about all the funds going to Twig. I guess it’s not his fault, but that of the mentors. Still, what a low blow to Circe. Her mother must feel so angry and helpless, seeing that the food she prepared for her daughter is going to one of her opponents :(
Obiwanlivesforever chapter 14 . 4/17/2011
Ouch. Rim. Hahaha. I have to say I feel a little bad for him – it can’t be pleasant to drink Fire Anemone poison – but I’m also pleased that Circe’s stunt worked. Well, sort of worked. He’s certainly disabled, and his inability to speak could be a hindrance if the Careers are fighting as a team.

Okay, so that was Euriloc’s cannon. Good to know these things.

Nooooo! The locusts have returned! *Breathes a sigh of relief* Good, they didn’t kill anyone. I wouldn’t even want a career to die that way. I guess they were designed to drive tributes together, speaking of which...

Odyss was so dang creepy! I wonder if the arena unhinged him, or if he was just sadistic like that to begin with. Sorta reminded me of Russia, just scarier because he seemed more in control of what he was doing. And the allusion to the Odyssey, yes, I got that (mainly from reading children’s Greek mythology books and Percy Jackson, I must admit.) Very, very clever way to reference the names and give Odyss a reason for being so freaky towards Circe (well, it’s not really a legitimate excuse, but you get what I mean.)

Hooray for Shaw! I love it when someone unexpected rushes in to save the day. Sort of like Thresh with Clove and Katniss in Hunger Games. Interesting twist in that Circe was able to save his life in turn. I like Shaw’s sense of honour with the ‘owing’ thing, and how he didn’t want to enter in an alliance since he’d just have to kill her anyway.
Obiwanlivesforever chapter 13 . 4/17/2011
You know, despite her lack of confidence in her abilities, Circe is really quite clever. Her realization that the bloody area looked like a tribute’s deathbed, and that tributes would likely scavenge off materials left behind, was pure brilliance, and I loved how her knowledge of underwater plants helped her score one over on the careers (or whoever picks up the water bottle.)

The cannon boom Circe heard when she woke up ... was that Euriloc? *Is struggling to keep track of everyone*

Ugh, Phemus ... this sounds callous, but it’s a good thing Circe put him out of his misery. Stumbling around defencelessly with no eyes would only lead him into some sort of death trap or to the careers, who would surely torture him. So what Circe did was really an act of mercy. Hey, mercy, Circe. That rhymes. And “Do you want to die?”- what a question. I keep imagining this being a movie and her saying that while some sort of dramatic chord plays in the background. Lol, I’m so weird...
Obiwanlivesforever chapter 12 . 4/17/2011
A camera, eh? Pretty unusual choice of donation, but hey, I can’t complain if it works. And I can’t imagine Circe and Tierra have that many sponsors, so it makes sense that the sponsors could only afford to send them something relatively useless, which fortunately proved useful.

The confrontation with the career pack was very exciting and well-written; I literally felt tense and on-edge throughout the whole thing and could picture it all so clearly in my mind. I was really shocked when Alypso came back; I’d thought Tierra and Circe were safe for just a little while! And then I remembered... *sniff* Tierra was a pretty good ally, wasn’t she? I wish she could have lasted longer.

Circe got the spear in her mouth? I’m not an expert on these things but I’m pretty sure that would kill her.

The scene where Circe killed Alypso was very intense and brilliantly well-written. Her rage was so human and believable, but also tragic in that she’s gotten her first kill.
Obiwanlivesforever chapter 11 . 4/17/2011
I love Circe trying to fish. It’s so unintentionally funny, especially when she tries to bite one in midair. And as for Tierra’s comment, "You really suck at this, don't you?” ... ouch! Way to put things nicely, girl.

Nice touch to have Tierra just knocking Euriloc out as opposed to killing him, drawing a contrast with Oakley’s actions. Though Circe is going to have to either kill or allow Tierra to kill people as the Games go on and the playing field dwindles. And I can’t even remember how Euriloc dies. Shame on me.

I’m very curious about Oakley and Maddox’s deaths. Wonder what happened. Careers, possibly? I can’t wait to read about that in Unlucky.

Ugh, meat-seeker locusts. *Shudders* That’s the kind of thing that scares me the most in Hunger Games stories – mutts that can eat you alive, giving you a long, slow, painful death. Thank goodness they seem to have avoided Circe and Tierra ... for now. Here’s hoping they won’t make a reappearance.
Obiwanlivesforever chapter 10 . 4/17/2011
Aw man, so many deaths. Bilt, (I was just about to type Alf there because I imagine them looking exactly the same, and then I realized that this isn’t Brutal!) Nuray, Glaucus, Pich, Valer, Esen, Sunil, Ione, Zeef, Chara, and Randa. Still can’t figure out which of them was the tenth cannon ... oh well, maybe it’ll be revealed in Unlucky.

*Reads the part where Circe finds out Oakley and Maddox tricked her* Those devious little 11s! I remember being so surprised by that when I first read this genius twist. This is why I wouldn’t bother making alliances, folks. I’d probably just get tricked like Circe did and stabbed in the back. Good that she got out of there before something bad happened, though.

I love Circe’s use of logic to dissuade Tierra. Noticing she didn’t have any weapons was pretty intelligent and clear-headed; I guess it would be obvious she wasn’t holding anything, but most people when they were cornered by someone threatening to kill them wouldn’t be so rational. The way she didn’t give into fear and kept turning the tables back on Tierra ... I’m impressed. And the use of her knowledge of other tributes to persuade Tierra into an alliance was quite fitting. Looks like Circe is proving to be quite a contender.

Tierra’s character is pretty cool, by the way. I like how her toughness was largely an act, yet she still doesn’t let her guard down. She seems quite a bit harder to get along with than Oakley, but more trustworthy at the same time. For example, it seems like she’d be brutally honest about things instead of keeping them secret to stab you in the back at the right times. Anyway, I’m excited to see how this alliance turns out (well, I know what happens, but I can’t remember everything they do together.)