Reviews for The Hourglass Effect
Lorderp chapter 8 . 7/14/2014
This story is amazing. First thing I thought was that when Genis went back in time to when he saw Alicia and Presea and their father, I immediately thought of when Presea asked 'How would you know how it feels to lose your loved ones?'(Yes, that was really early in the story, but as we all know, but inferring skills are superior). And I knew that Genis was going to change history, try to prevent Alicia and her father from dying. I hope. And then when Genis asked himself 'Why back to this time?' or something like that, I just burst out laughing. No you didn't do anything wrong, it's just that I thought Genis had common sense(no offense Genis & ChaoticChris) but honestly, ehh... Third best Gesea fanfic I've read.

Please, I'm begging you, please continue the story. It's amazing, wonderful, and full of suspense. I just wanna shout out to everyone reading this 'something' but I can not as it may be a sorta spoiler/telling sort of thing.

Random facts
I read all the stories referred to in this story

ChaoticChris is uber epic because of his stories and reviews.

Cheers!
Lorderp chapter 9 . 7/13/2014
Lol ChaoticChris, it's nearly every GenisPresea story I read, you always review on them.
yuzukuo chapter 9 . 1/27/2013
Nice to know you updated! My opinion on the reason Genis ran to the river was because he was chasing after the bird for dear life, being inspired by its will in being able to live in that desolate part of the forest despite not being a monster itself. Or I may have gotten the wrong message from those two paragraphs and read too much into context. Whatever floats, I guess. Perhaps he just simply heard the river and bounded toward it with no other purpose than to get out into the open.

This story was updated last year, which means (gulp!) I missed it completely. Then again, I should really check my email more often than naught. Somewhat unrelated: I just read your review to "Wedding Day For Genis Sage" too, and here's my appreciative gesture.

Still loving the intricate details you managed to add to each and every chapter, getting more and more vivid as your writing skills reach its peak. Normal Presea (the stoic, almost Lightning-like* one) is much different than HE Presea, and it stands out here when she asks Genis to the Katz-Katz event going down in Altamira. Speaking of Katz, the subtle references to the game itself is wonderful. There's a specific "scene" in it where you can venture into the theater in Altamira and see the Katz dancing onstage, where someone remarks if they're actually beings from another world or humans in costumes. I've always had a fondness for Tethe'alla that stretches further than my fondness for Sylvarant. After all, who DOESN'T like the locations it holds? Altamira, Ozette, Flanoir-these places are pretty nice to look at, save for Ozette, which stayed up for only a tiny fraction of the game before it burned to a crisp. I'm disappointed ToS2 refrained from showing a new and rebuilt Ozette-but I've already convinced myself that Dawn of the New World was just a bad dream and never happened.

Alicia is slowly making her way up into my list of favorite characters in this story, with her almost-irritating cheery influence on the story's mood. We don't get to see much of her in ToS, and my headcanon now says she's exactly the same as HE Alicia. Her fanatical musings of Genis being a "knight in shining armor" always keeps things interesting and I love how Alicia already treats him like a brother to mess around with. I'm actually looking forward to this date, which feels like it'll either end up in disaster or be absolutely fluff-filled. I'm betting my money on both! Here's hoping Genis gets to use his Warlock magic to impress the Combatir family at least once.

*yes, I couldn't resist adding in a reference to one of my favorite Final Fantasy games with how similar Presea and Alicia's interactions were with Lightning and Serah Farron. Not to mention their awesome pink hair. I swear, the Japanese are brainwashing us to believe pink means "Don't mess with me." Maybe it's more along the lines of "Pink may appear weak, but don't underestimate the quality of the person as a whole." And Lightning Farron has a lot to say, despite her standalone attitude to everyone around her, a lot of her inner turmoil having to do with needing to toughen up to take care of her only living relative-her sister Serah. Because you mentioned playing AC3, I can reasonably assume you've already played Final Fantasy XIII. If not, my only advice to you now is BUY IT (it's a relatively cheap game these days). Or watch the cutscenes on YT to get a glimpse at the brilliantly-written storyline. There's also a certain silver-haired kid in it-Hope Estheim, his name is-that bears a significant amount of resemblance between our own silver-haired protagonist, including the fight within him to not see the worst in things, but rather, see the positive along with Lightning's pragmatic help. I find his name a little ironic, though. Despair Estheim would fit him better.
...Well, uh, this paragraph was a lot more drawn out than I intended. Oh well.
Guest chapter 7 . 1/13/2013
HOW DO YOU DO THIS?! Every chapter is better than the last, even if it doesn't seem possible! Fantastic character development, may I add. This new Presea, or should I say old, is someone I'm really starting to think is another person from the regular one. I've always thought of Presea just as...sadder than before, but still the same person. With your story, I now feel that they are two different people, one happy, forgiving, shy, and flawed, the other melonchaly, blunt, angry, and totally unwilling to show any weakness. I am falling in love with this story. Yes I am growing to like Sieg, surprisingly. What i'm eager to find out is how this is going to tie into real life/time, and what those #s mean! AHHH ITS KILLING ME! MUST READ MORE! May i say, i should be doing my hw but instead im using 4 hours to read this whole thing XD Love the story so far,

BlackEyes7 chapter 9 . 1/13/2013
NOOO YOU MUST KEEP WRITING! Pleaassee *puppy dog eyes* I have fallen in love with this fic! It kinda depresses me to know my own isn't this good...because you had perfect character, plot, and relationship development. Geez, don't give up on it! Or i shall have Presea hunt you down with her axe. Muahahaha! :D Or maybe Sieg...hm.

Anyways, I loved the seriousness of this chappy. It really highlighted deeper into their characters! I feel like I've gotten to know both Genis an Presea so well! This truly is a masterpiece, you have a gift for writing:) Oh, and the thing that got Genis to go to the river was the same red bird that dropped the hourglass on his head. Can I have my preview now? :D

BlackEyes7 chapter 8 . 1/13/2013
*wipes happy tears* FLUFFFF :D Oh, so brilliantly thought out, how your building the plot so well. I love how you compared Presea's, I was doing the same thing mentallyXD D'awww Presea asked to hold his hand! :DDD Oh, btw, I've decided now. This is THE best Gesea fic out of all the 60 something one's I've read. Hopefully you aren't planning on ending it before it's finished! I NEEEDS THIS STORYYY. the cuteness of Presea getting herself sick and the storm and everything is just like having Raine cast revitalize on my soul. SO CUTE. Also, I'm definitely looking at everything different now, like Presea's closeness to Alicia and her father, like i actually feel her pain. i also now see...the drastic change in her since the crystal incident. I can't wait to see what happens!

BlackEyes7 chapter 6 . 1/13/2013
*sobs into hands* How?! How are you such an amazing author? Your plot is coming together so beautifully, and the relationship building is just...awesome. I tend to jump into things, which is probably why your is so much better XD This may very well end up being my favorite Gesea fic of all time (and ive read literally about...50-60 of them) so im gonna keep reading! Oh Genis...how inspirational you are. And Sieg too!:) Great job, like always, and I'll be back shortly to review the next chapter!
BlackEyes7 chapter 5 . 1/13/2013
Oh me gosh, love how you showed her getting all of her stuff back:) Haha, when Genis was like "that dagger was vaguely familiar..." im bouncing up and down yelling "IT'S. THE. DAGGER. SHE. WEARS. ON. HER. BELT. FOR. CARVING." Sorry, I like Presea a bit too much XD Wow though...great chapter, as always. You always keep Genis so perfectly in character! Must keep reading now!

BlackEyes7 chapter 4 . 1/13/2013
My lord...you are...a simply amazing author. Breath-taking chapter! I mean, just...wow. Again, your descriptions! I could TASTE the roll! And, may I add, Genis is my second favorite character, but Presea is my ultimate favorite. I have picked up on every little tidbit about her, and you are correct that it was hinted she did used to smile and laugh a lot. So I think you have her spot on:) Great job keeping everyone in character, I could totally picture Alicia like that! Onto next chappy! btw, nice chapter length. How do you write that much? XD Byee,

BlackEyes7 chapter 3 . 1/13/2013
BOOOSH. My mind is blown. I have guessed she wished something about Genis...I had guessed the hourglass would turn back time...BUT I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT HAPPENS NOW. Oh my gosh, you are such a talented author. Your word choice, like I said before, is brilliant. Everything is so clear in my mind, you are the ultimate author. Amazing job, as always:) Okay. next chappy!

BlackEyes7 chapter 2 . 1/13/2013
Wow...your descriptions and word choices are phenomenal. I can just...feel everything he feels, and see everything he sees! Plus, you kept everyone perfectly in character to boot! Presea...you did a fantastic job portraying (even if it was just for Genis' dream) and you've got Genis' character so nailed I'd swear this was part of the game XD I love this story so far, I'm excited to find out how it will play out! Also, seeing how you are making this about Genis and Presea getting together (i think?) and how it just seems so...perfect, the way you wrote it and all, i think you've inspired me to write a prequel to my story when it's done to show how she got her feelings:) It still is so amazing to think of another modern Gesea fan out there! Maybe you should PM me sometime, we can chat:) Anyways, great, great job and keep it up! :D Gesea forevers

BlackEyes7 chapter 1 . 1/13/2013
Oh my gosh! When you commented and said that I "inspired you to continue your own fic" my heart stopped. All I could think was "GESEA FIC! MUST READ!" Great prologue, may I add, very interesting and deep to kinda take a step back and think about what time really is. I am so excited to see another author who likes Gesea, because like you said, i have also loved this pairing since I played the first game XD It's refreshing to see someone else who not only likes this pairing but knows what ToS is, because it's a shame nobody knows what that is anymore :( Great job, long live GenisxPresea! :D
Moonlight M3lody chapter 9 . 12/27/2012
Hmm, the challenge is quite hard. I think different people might have different interpretation. I'm tempted to say because he thought someone would be there...but I guess it could also because of sheer curiosity?

There was a very good deal on external harddisk on Black Friday. I misread the end-date and missed it. Lucky you for the Assassin's Creed.

Moving on the story.
Sappy chapter...not to mention I read it when it was raining outside. I think Sieg's 'let her sort her own feelings' shows just how much he's a good parent. He's protective of her while also giving her enough space as her own person. It's a rare trait. He also trusts Genis enough to tell him the way, as if giving him hint but letting him decide what to do. Does Genis finally catch on Sieg's rhythm of life, or is it the other way around?

Oh Alicia. She provides a good balance to Genis' uptight self. I'm especially struck by this sentence: "You're still a kid! How can you not like playing make-believe?"
It's ironic to see how Genis tries so hard to sound and act like an adult because he has no experience being a child. Even among the trio, Colette and Lloyd who are older, spend a lot of time to convince him to 'play' along.
It's like the whole experience, aside of fulfilling Presea's birthday wish, is a gift for Genis as well: a normal childhood. I hope he can make peace with Virginia-the whole debacle about sanity is calling on me. How sane are we if we're trying to reject the concept of sanity itself?

The end is good. I agree it'd be awkward to have the chapter ends with such a sweet note...only to be continued with darker scenes. I hope nothing bad happens to Alicia for now. Genis and Presea have gone through so much that they deserve their happy moments. From where do you get 'Cry me a river' phrase? It sounds so nice.

By the way, this chapter isn't as serious as you thought-perhaps because of Alicia, but that's a relief, because if you really do the angsty, heavy atmosphere all the way through, it'd be a contrast to last chapter's sweet fluff.

p.s: I didn't know how mongoose look like, so I googled for a picture. Now I'm dying to see monguirrel!
Mojo Kor Ledenoa chapter 3 . 12/3/2012
I just started reading this yesterday, and I'm really enjoying what I've read thus far. I kinda feel bad for Genis at this point, but, you gotta admit, he was being a bit of a jerk.
Zefie Kirasagi chapter 9 . 11/29/2012
Another solid chapter, and seeing us move into the more serious end of the story is a welcome thing. Not that I didn't thoroughly enjoy the earlier bits, but any good story begins with those before shifting into the more serious and important parts; the intro serves to endear us to the characters so we care more when harsh reality arises for them. And we're all aware of the unfortunate future fate of the Combatir family, after all. Having Genis discussing and confronting his own inner demons in the process only added to the quality.

Off to save Alicia then!