Reviews for Rocking the Boat
KLC061874 chapter 15 . 3/19
W h
AnthonyR89 chapter 30 . 3/18
noticed a typo in this chapter. you have harry confronting Diggory, referring to things done by Diggle. Amos Diggory, so far as i know, was never even a member of the order.
AnthonyR89 chapter 26 . 3/18
as for the "Soda Wars" bit, the only correct answer is Dr. Pepper. and pepsi is just plain gross.
AnthonyR89 chapter 23 . 3/18
and now i have definitive proof i've read this story before, since i just found a review for the last chapter from over 5 years ago, heh. so, my new review:

still an interesting read, though this chapter does raise the question as to why harry didn't just bring a gun and shoot McNair.

on the subject of guns, while making his "battle wand" gun-shaped is a novel idea, it would cause quite a few problems in muggle areas. cops are trained to notice concealed weapons, and no cop is going to react well to someone who has what looks like a gun hidden on their person. especially in a country like the UK.
AnthonyR89 chapter 3 . 3/14
I know for a fact that i've read this before, but i don't remember any of it for some reason.

one thing though, while my knowledge is from the US rather than the UK, i doubt it differs much in that Morphine is HEAVILY monitored, so it'd be rather difficut for Hermione's mother to do what she's suggesting.
life debts kind of sucks, since that would require their magic to not be theirs... its borrowed from some kind of god that has a fucked up personality.
TsukiRoze chapter 15 . 3/9
About your comments concerning Fleur and Beauxbatons, she was actually at a disadvantage in the tournament. There was a fanfic where it was listed why (I can't remember what it was called or who the author was) and the reasoning makes a lot of sense. As a veela Fleur is a fire-natured creature, the dragon would have been able to sense that and as such would have been more aggressive; in addition, imagine how her allure would affect hetero females- it would likely leave them feeling insecure, envious, and hateful or at the very least annoyed- it probably left the dragon even more likely to eat her. Then there is the second task, a fire-natured person in a swimming contest... see the problem? The third task was the only one where the odds weren't stacked against her and she was taken out of the running by a cruciatus curse; which is one of the few curses that can't be shielded against, a curse she certainly wouldn't be expecting given the supposedly friendly nature of the competition. Even if she had been expecting it, no amount of preparation can help in the face of torture.
Corwyn chapter 33 . 3/6
Loved this story! Thanks for sharing it with us.
Mary Sue Lover chapter 14 . 2/23
Okay... okay... Breathe in... Breathe out...

Let me preface this by saying that this story IS amazing, in general. Spelling and grammar is spot on. Flow is great. Characterization is good the majority of the time. Wonderful level of detail.
Also, I am aware that reviewing a story that has already been completed (especially as long ago as this one) is virtually pointless.
But I'm afraid that the criticisms I have are piling up enough that I'm having trouble reading without writing them down SOMEWHERE. So, here are a few.

- I have nothing against the whole role-playing/semi-BDSM kink that is part of the premise of the story/relationship with Hermione and Harry, but Harry's relatively easy acceptance of it doesn't seem to mesh with what you've written of his personality. He has endured physical, verbal, and psychological abuse for most of his childhood. He's been trapped in a tiny cupboard for extended periods. He's been manipulated and controlled by Dumbledore (in one form or another) since the beginning. And to top it off, he has an established personality that lends itself to caring STRONGLY for anyone dear to him, taking suffering/danger onto HIMSELF in order to spare others from it, and being just plain underconfident (such that it couldn't hope to be easily overcome). Purposely inflicting any kind of pain or "bondage" on someone he cares about would likely be so utterly anathema to who he is that it would border on being a phobia. It just doesn't seem plausible that he would EVER adjust to Hermione's kink.
- Way back during the removing-the-blood-magic part of the story, a lot of the characters were joking/grinning/laughing/smirking far more than was psychologically appropriate. Don't get me wrong; irreverence is something that is good to insert into serious situations (both in real life and in writing), but it CAN go too far. All three members of the Granger household were dealing with a situation involving torture, life-threatening procedures, momentary "death", slight mind-control (read: the life-debt compulsions), and several revelations of the true extent of abuse and manipulations that Harry has had to endure. Messing about with silly conversations about love lives and kinks was emotionally unlikely/inappropriate. Give the characters time for trauma to settle down before such things, for goodness's sake.
- A general complaint, here. This might just be me misunderstanding normal human nature, seeing as I am virtually asexual/nonsexual ((terminology is shaky)), but it seems farfetched that anyone would ever be overcome (in awe, rendered speechless, drooling, staring, etc.) by the physical beauty/sexual attractiveness of someone else. There IS a certain degree of aesthetic beauty to the human form, but not THAT much. This story is just one of many, many, many, MANY like it that use this trope, but it always struck me as ridiculous. Who would let themselves be incapacitated by something so unimportant?
- The "criss-crossing life-debts" thing didn't make sense, even within the explanations offered within your story. You literally stated at one point that one of the main ways to "pay off" a life debt is for the indebted to save their savior's life. Thus "criss-crossing" is impossible. Harry would not have the magical compulsion-type life-debt to Hermione, since (we can assume) he has saved her life more often than she has saved his.
- Three things wrong with your handling of the Fidelius. First, it seems unlikely that it could be used on something mobile, if for no other reason than to keep it from being magically "OP"; people would be Fidelius-ing EVERYTHING if it was so easy. Second, despite the vague wording, it seems unlikely that it could be used in such an abstract manner (read: hiding the IDEA that Harry's wand "looked odd for a wand"); again, too OP. Third, if they DID manage to use it in such an abstract manner, it would NOT be "broken" even if Harry's wand were fired. Things like notice-me-nots can be broken like that, because drawing TOO much attention overwhelms the subtle "don't pay attention" compulsion, but the ability to perceive (or even ACCESS) anything under Fidelius is a capability that can only be granted by the secret-keeper explicitly telling whoever else.
- The gun-wand is a bit impractical. Yes, it might be helpful when you can point-cast (especially with that clever shoot-and-cast-at-the-same-time idea; kudos for that), but it is safe to assume that that would make it LESS useful whenever new or particularly complicated magics were necessary. And in such cases, having such an odd shape and different grip position would likely wreak HAVOC on the arithmancy of wand motions, what with all the changed angles.
- While I am not a prude, I have to say that the stunt that Hermione pulled with trying to bribe Harry (even semi-jokingly) into going to Hogwarts with sexual favors was disgusting. I've legitimately NEVER used this word in my life before, but I would go so far as to call it "whorish". While it is difficult to put into words what the difference is between the little "deals" Margret mentioned and Hermione's stunt, there IS a difference. Maybe it has to do with the fact that she tried to bribe him into doing something IMPORTANT, using something as... as BASE as mere sex. Bribery is just the mirror of blackmail, after all. And then Margret has the GALL to make HARRY feel guilty for blowing up on Hermione? And Hermione was mad at HARRY? As the kids say, "WTF".
- Oh, and as a follow-up to the previous point, the fact that Harry WAS convinced to go back to Hogwarts was iffy. With all the stuff Dumbledore did to him BEFORE, all of them should SHUDDER to think of what level he would sink to, now that he believes Harry is going dark. I get that your plot likely required them going back to Hogwarts, but it was poorly executed. Probably should have made it clear that there was no other option (such as hiring private tutors and taking NEWTs outside of the school setting, transferring to another magical school somewhere else in the world, etc.).

Sorry if this comes off as harsh. I never saw much point in praising good things, since they are already being done well; bad things, however, I always feel need to be addressed.
I love this story most of the time, but I was about ready to pull my hair out reading it if I didn't give voice to things. I still look forward to finishing this story and adding it to my favorites list.

Wishing you the best in all of your present and future creative endeavors,
Mary Sue Lover
dammyd chapter 22 . 2/15
why didn't Harry just use Transfiguration and Charms? or even a Jinx. You didn't say no magic otherwise protego would be disallowed. so an overpowered leglocker jinx or Transfiguration the floor into ice and an accio the wand. what about Transfiguration snakes and other animals and having them attack. and you cannot say Harry doesn't know this especially since He is in 6th year. and definitely Tonks and Remus knows you can win a duel without using a single curse.
MGStarFire chapter 5 . 2/13
From what i've read so far i'm expecting a lemon soon.
PLS don't be a tease and only write limes while skipping the lemons.
linx007 chapter 23 . 2/3
Took me a second to figure out the letter but once I did I couldn't help but laugh, well played.
Ayersil chapter 7 . 1/24
Just a small error, Dumbledore's name is Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore whereas you put Brian as the first of his three middle names. Other than that I haven't really noticed any errors and it's a brilliant story.
David-El chapter 6 . 1/19
Reading this again, and I have to add this: on Snape, you and I are on the same side. Snape is one of the worst bullies I have ever read, seen or heard about!
xNaruHina chapter 12 . 1/17
Dresses are way prettier and attractive than 'trousers'. xD Also, Tonks really shouldn't have won so easy. She should have tripped after the first step she took and thus lose immediately. This is Told we are talking about after all.
3,362 | Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »