Reviews for The Art of Breeding Monsters
FireMelon13 chapter 1 . 1/19/2014
This is wonderful and very well written. I appreciate the look into the twins early childhood.

I always thought that perhaps their mother gave Anna away instead of Johan because she thought of her daughter as the mentally strong one, and therefore had a better chance of surviving whatever Capek and the others were going to do to her. While she saw Johan as weaker, realizing that he was already, like you said, mentally and emotionally warped. So she sought to protect him. But your take on her actions makes sense as well. I really enjoyed it.
lapaxlove chapter 1 . 9/4/2013
Wow, that really gives more insight to their mother and made sense as well. you did really good in this.
inermis chapter 1 . 7/1/2013
Intelligent, in-depth depiction of the twins as young children and Viera's reasons to choose the boy as the child who stayed.

Not much is known of the twins early childhood, propably because the author wanted to leave nature versus nurture debate vague. I enjoyed your answer: the boy wasn't born as straigth out monster, but he had several innate qualities that made him a creepy and disturbed child. His later experiences would strenghten these negative qualities in him and create the man known as Johan.

It was interesting that Viera believed Johan's personality to be born out of eugenics program. It all feels quite out-dated, but considering that she was a university student in Communist Czechoslovakia between 1960's and 1970's (my estimation) her beliefs give me an authentic feeling of the era she's living in.

I liked this story very much. I have nothing constructive to say because everything feels perfect. If I had to nit-pick about something, I would contest that because the story was from the mother's point of view, not giving names to children felt odd. I understand that they are "nameless" in manga and this story stays faithful to that anonymity, but I still feel that any mother would identify her children somehow. The issue should be touched upon, at least.

Favorited.
apannah chapter 1 . 8/30/2012
Hi! i never really know what to say on theese haha... But i figured that your story was really really good, and as such it warented a review!

First off- i love what you did with the characters and backstory- It was suitably effed up, but still with in the realms of belivability. And it was almost what went unsaid, or what was yet to come that held the darker tones.

Secondly- YAY YAY YAY A STORY ABOUT THE TWINS ASDFGHJKL; I LOVE THEESE. and since there aren't very many writers in this fandom yours are some of, if not my favorites

Thirdly and finally- Your writing style is absolutley lovely. It reminds me of the original work , in a way, but not so much that it comes off as awkward or trying to hard. It flows very well when you read it, and it rocks the format you chose for it :
een nihc chapter 1 . 11/16/2011
I finally found a fic that gives me that bone-chilling feeling that the manga gives me. Love the mother's POV in this and it's not hard to imagine that she is perhaps as twisted as you depicted her here. Excellent work.
Like a Snowflake chapter 1 . 4/23/2011
This somehow makes the mother's personality clearer to me, even if it's just from a fanfictional point of view. Great job! I can't believe all your stories so far are about these twins! Don't they make an amazing pairing? And in so many ways...
elfenwindakachrno chapter 1 . 9/18/2010
i don't know the anime/manga, but your writing was gripping and interesting, although a few typos. well done
Resha04 chapter 1 . 9/7/2010
*Speechless*

What should I say? This fic is so awesome!

I love the way you describe the twins as kids and how you describe their mother's feelings toward them.

I'd never thought that their mother gave the girl away because she loved the boy more. But when I think about it again, it's a possibility.

Thank you for this awesome fic!
somaticjester chapter 1 . 8/16/2010
I'm impressed. From the writing style and narration, character analysis of the children Johan and Nina, and the references, I must say this has got to be the most ambitious Monster fanfic I've read for a long time now. And I'm really glad you nailed their personalities dead-on. Well done...
One percent chapter 1 . 5/16/2010
An intelligent woman like the mother of the twins must have seen through them, it is right.

The ending made me think that maybe she wanted his hatred to be even more powerful in order to achieve her dream of revenge.

The mother is simply sick and twisted too.

The part that amazed me the most was definitely this one:

"After some moments, he smiled in a manner even she could recognize as vaguely condescending, ... It did not take a genius to figure out that the boy had concluded that his mother was just being silly."

A one year old discarding his mother as silly IS indeed frightening. awesome piece!
Agatsuma Ritsuka chapter 1 . 4/20/2010
; What /is/ the difference between ole St. Nick and Santy Clause?

Helenka... Margot. Sorry I'm once again struck by the circles this series runs around you.
Grain's gravity chapter 1 . 3/4/2010
Very good fan fiction as usual!

I don't need to say it again I think... ( your stories DO always impress me )

I don't know if it was your intention ; but you made me hate Johan and Anna's mother!

The idea of that there's no doubt that Johan will fall in love with Anna as his father is totally conceivable. I've never seen this fact like that.

always a please to read and review you!
Eden Lies chapter 1 . 2/7/2010
Oh, wow. This was simply amazing. I'm really brain-dead right now, and tired from running through airports and catching flights for like the whole day, but I really feel as if I should review -.

First off, I'm really happy that you decided to write a fic about the twins' childhood; its a dearly unexplored area, and since it doesn't have many canon facts to follow, I feel as if its something one can use their creative license on (within reason), and make a great fic.

I think you are absolutely on the spot that Johan would feel jealous of his own mother if Anna loved the mother more. It's like, really just a mirror of what was happening in the current Monster timeline, except instead of it being the mom lavishing affection on Anna, it was Tenma and the others.

The only thing I didn't off the spot agree with you on is the twins' mother's reason for giving away Anna. xD though, this is just my personal opinion; you still wrote your view convincingly and brilliantly.

Overall, another job well done, Aldrae -!

Eden
ravenwax789 chapter 1 . 2/7/2010
Oh it's so beautiful. I wasn't sure if Johan would really lash out quietly against his mother for taking her time with Anna, but you make it so believable in this story. What chilled me most of all was the description of the kiss. How the father had kissed her similarily and what emotions the mother must have felt seeing her son act the same way. That was really interesting. It's not often that people can write fics from so many perspectives, but you are quite skilled at that!
Kilasfd chapter 1 . 2/6/2010
I really like your description of Margot's love in this story. It fitted her situation so well, and it was just so real. The way you explained her decision to give away Anna fit completely along with the anime and her idea of revenge on Bonaparte.

And besides, I like your stories better when they're like this and don't have any warnings.