Reviews for Skies Over Bern
Sentury chapter 1 . 7/23/2013
Loveee this. You were right to suggest it.

Few nit-picks.

Ambiguous to me if Heath and them left their wyverns behind or not. And on that note, I wonder about the disadvantages of a wyvern being easily spotted weighed against the advantages of superior movement. However, I will concede that Bern's forces would likely be pursuing them ON wyverns, so maybe it is best to stick to the ground as Viada suggests.

Love her internal comments about Heath compared with what she actually says. She sounds like a fantastic leader and really knows her men. Heath is a character I have never given much attention, same with Viada but they always struck me as really pained characters and think you captured that ever precarious line of duty or honor perfectly.

Also liked the subtle note about Bern being a poorer country, is that mentioned in game? I imagine a militant nation would probably have issues feeding and financing its people.

Anyway, great job, loved it. Peace out.
thomasquwack chapter 1 . 4/28/2012
Please, please PLEASE make more chapters! I AM BEGGING YOU! PLEASE!

Nice fic though.
Wyrmseeker chapter 1 . 6/12/2010
Ah! This scene is actually one I plan to use in an upcoming multi-chaptered fic (I've had a fair bit of Heath on the mind lately), so it's interesting to see your take on things. This is excellent as always, and this is uniquely interesting given how little of Vaida we get to see. I do think Heath is a little off-character near the end; he's unusually cheerful for a man who's just been betrayed by his country and will probably never see the woman he (seemingly) loves again. I don't really think this is begging to be multi-chaptered, though; the ending, while ambiguous, is dramatic and definitive, the ambiguity only adding to the tension instead of leaving the reader disappointed. Nice work.
wolfraven80 chapter 1 . 2/13/2010
You know what? This is one of my favourite pieces that I've read of yours... and this in spite of the fact that I only vaguely remember the characters mentioned in it. It's excellent throughout. I have a special love for the way you described the wyverns. I don't often come across stories about wyverns and the you give us Vaida's perspective on them - her admiration for their raw power- oh and this bit in particular:

"Wyverns were powerful creatures. They earned fear and respect the same way many aristocrats did—by intimidation."

I love what you did with it. This was really great!
Xirysa chapter 1 . 2/9/2010

But asgakhakdhsfg. Her last lesson as a commander... That's a very interesting thought. I really do like it.

Now, then. I'm going to be eagerly awaiting for you to finish this, then. Yes? Yes.

Trevor X chapter 1 . 2/7/2010
Echoes sentiments of other reviews - nicely done! Not enough brainpower to put out a more in-depth review, so hope this suffices!
Mark of the Asphodel chapter 1 . 2/6/2010
Good job! The dynamic between Vaida and her raiders- especially Heath, but not *just* Heath- was bleakly endearing, with a real sense of their bonds. The "stupid as wyvern feed" line worked well in both of its uses, and this really hit me:

"Reassurance was rare to hear from her. She never had felt comfortable doing it. Oftentimes, it felt too much like lying."

Yeah. Good, solid character piece. Worth a continuation if you have the time and the energy. Honestly, I think many of your best stories are the ones where you step away from the Caelin crew and work with the weirdoes and outliers. Vaida seems to me a tricky character to write, but this was a fine balance of hardened skill and inner decency.
Pen and Paper71 chapter 1 . 2/6/2010
I really like this. In particular, I really got a kick out of dynamic between Vaida and Heath. Very nicely done. I hope that you choose to continue this. Poor Vaida doesn't seem to get much attention in fandom.
SpeedDemon315 chapter 1 . 2/6/2010
Wow, this sounds great! I always like the Bern wyvern riders-wyverns are wickedly cool in general. Can you blame me?

I would love it if you made this a chaptered fic but if not, I understand. You seem to have a lot on your plate and adding another story just might later prove to be too much.

Take care and keep on writing!

Chiisarin chapter 1 . 2/6/2010
I never was interested in Vaida enough to do any supports with her, but I like the scene here, a rather bittersweet farewell; it definitely makes me wonder what Vaida's Riders must have been like. Especially with names as cool as 'Lachius' and even cooler, 'BELMINADE'. I especially found Heath's description as being as "stupid as wyvern feed" especially charming, is that from the support? Overall though, this fic really does make me more curious about these two characters. Good job!