Reviews for Against All Odds
Special Agent Stace chapter 4 . 3/28/2010
That was really good. I didn't expect Abby to be in love with Gibbs though, I don't dig that pairing so I may not read the sequel. Apart from that (which is no fault of yours just... our differences I guess lol) really good work, your writing is fantastic!
Special Agent Stace chapter 1 . 3/28/2010
I thought I'd check to see if you had any other stories that I wanted to read & was happy to find this, looks really good so far. It's believable, you can really picture it. Also that Thousand Foot Krutch song is great :)
STLFAN chapter 4 . 2/27/2010
Very well done.
alix33 chapter 4 . 2/26/2010
"when she could just come to visit her uncle and moonlight as the confused, geeky high school girl pretending to be a cool bartender on weekends." - Sometimes (and reading this bit is SO one of those times) I wish with every fibre of my being that I was sophisticated about alcohol, and for example was cool enough to drink whisky or bourbon instead of ginger ale and lemonade and sparkling apple juice and Coke if it is a work party, but I literally hate the taste of any alcoholic drink that is not sweet and even just a couple of mouthfuls of sparkling wine makes my whole spine and brain go all woozy for hours afterwards, so...

AW, now I wish I HAD an uncle Teddy! You think Abby would let me borrow hers some time?

"her father's abuse," - Physical, mental or (God forbid) sexual?

"She doesn't miss feeling like a child, terrified and alone and unable to defend herself." - Lucky Abby that she does not. I freaking turn 40 next year, and I still feel that way way too often.
alix33 chapter 3 . 2/26/2010
"Want to come over for dinner?" she asks, prodding Ziva playfully. "I was forced to watch Agent Hall Monitor eat carrot sticks for lunch and now I have the overwhelming desire for steak." Tony and Ziva both laugh at that and let Abby lead them to Tony's car." - I just about laugh my arse off each time I watch Abby telling McGee she is eating for two in front of agent Lee (also known as Agent Hall Monitor, hehehe).

"He doesn't quite trust McGee with Abby's emotions since the two of them split, but he knows the other man would protect her with his life." - Hey! And what about Abby with Tim's emotions?

I have that in common with Abby: that I won't be sorry when MY dad dies.

"Family trumps everything." Her voice is heavy with unshed tears when she whispers, "Of course. Tell Gibbs that." - Abby is IMO SO pissed at Papa Gibbs!
alix33 chapter 2 . 2/26/2010
"and he knows if he himself felt shortchanged by Gibbs's actions before he walked into that elevator, it pales in comparison to what she must have felt." - There where Gibbs puts his finger across Abby's lips like that, that must surely be THE saddest scene (or one of the saddest) that I have seen in six seasons' worth (because I live in South Africa, where we have to wait for season 7 to come out on DVD still AND then almost a month to reach me by the slowest and cheapest of snail mail from Amazon's depot in the US Virgin Islands, to see it at all, as our TV channels have not even started showing season 6. I saw that weird car chase Tim and DiNozzo did over those cars in a lot in a short video clip, but that is all I have seen thus far of season 7) of NCIS.
alix33 chapter 1 . 2/26/2010
"Mostly she just sits and prays." - Just a thought, and it is maybe a bit of a blasphemous and sacrilegious thought at that, but here goes: I think God (even though maybe She is right now, in this fic, taking Her time answering Abby's prayers for whatever mysterious and God-like reasons) takes particular delight in Her creation Abby, as she is truly like no one else ever.

"she walks over to the chair near the bed and sits down, unzipping her boots and pulling her bare legs up underneath her. Reruns of Seinfeld are piping in through the speakers on either side of the bed, and Abby supposes there's nothing else really worth watching on at two am, anyway. "Who are you?" he asks in the same gruff tone, his eyes not moving from the TV. She doesn't flinch at the words, and this surprises her. She's tried to wrap her exhausted, terrified brain around the fact that Gibbs – who knows her more than anyone in the world – could forget her, but knowing this fact is far different from experiencing the reality. "I'm Abby," she says quietly, wrapping her arms around herself and studying him." - Reading this bit, I SO wanted Abby to have, wrapped around her, the softest, coziest, kind of biggish (maybe large enough for a small double bed) red, white and black plaid blankie with skulls and cross bones on it too as I felt she was chilled to the bone from cold and fright and a myriad of feelings inside.

he impatiently turns off the episode and finally looks at her. "You look like hell," he says. "Thanks, Gibbs," she whispers with a short laugh, her voice breaking on the words." - Gibbs! Just 'cause you have amnesia is no excuse to be as rude and mean, even though most probably extremely truthful and honest, as you were to Abby right there!

"The conversation afterward is a little stilted," - AW, I am desperately sorry it got stilted!

"She sits down heavily in the chair next to the Kelly, drawing her knees up to her chest and letting herself cry for the first time since Gibbs got hurt. It's the first time she's cried, really, since Kate died. It doesn't last very long and it's not very loud. It doesn't really make her feel better;" - IMO, crying is just that way sometimes.

"she grabs his red hoodie from where it's resting on the unfinished planks of the boat and impulsively slips it over her head," - AW, I LOVE that red hoodie more and more each time we see it on the show!

"When she gets ready to leave, she takes off the sweatshirt and gives it to him. "It's yours," she says. "I was...borrowing it. Maybe having some of your own things around will help." - AW!

"Bravo yankee echo," he says to her retreating back, and the corners of her mouth quirk up." - Mine did too, from smiling!

I LOVED that Ziva/Abby interaction at the end of the chapter, AND the hug!
PT21 chapter 4 . 2/25/2010
Excellent, excellent story. I'm not sure if it's finished, but if it isn't, I'm waiting...:D
Fanmlz chapter 4 . 2/21/2010
Another heartbreaking chapter. I really like the relationship you have between Tony and Abby.
Belker chapter 4 . 2/20/2010
Every chapter leaves me feeling so sad inside, like they won't ever be okay again.

Good, heartbreaking chapter.
Fanmlz chapter 3 . 2/7/2010
Perfect angst! Love it. Can't wait for more.
Belker chapter 3 . 2/6/2010
What an incredibly beautiful and insightful story. I loved the tender emotions between Abby and Tony, and that they can relate on so many things that McGee can't understand. The staying at Tony's place - even sleeping in his bed - that could so happen.

I hope we'll see more of this?

Love!