Reviews for Of Rhinos and Men
Snarky64 chapter 2 . 3/7
Snoody? Snalastor? Alasrus? I don't know which ship name to adopt, but I certainly never thought I'd read one of these - and enjoy it! Very in-character and lots of fun. :)
Kaeah chapter 2 . 2/14
Interesting, different, fanon with a shade of canon. And an unlikely pairing to boot! I think that makes this fic all the more interesting. You captured their personalities perfectly. And the banter between the two characters is how I would imagine they would converse in the one of JK Rowlings books (minus the dirty language and sex bits).
Quantumphysica chapter 2 . 4/19/2013
That was just so funny!
Alastor is such an under-appreciated character... I loved his banter with Snape in this piece... they're just so casual and ridiculous here.
And WTH, a rhinoceros? That was too epic. I laughed so hard!
noelnoel2 chapter 2 . 3/16/2012
After reading up to chapter 20 of "Burnt" by LastCrazyHorn, I went to look up any Moody/Snape romance and found only this gem. It was a very good read; Thank you! In Burnt, Moody and Snape bond with each other and Harry to form a family for Harry's protection from Dumbledore's machinations. There is a funny part where Moody teases Snape about them becoming a couple, but they decide that Moody will blood bond with Snape as a father, and they will both blood bond with Harry as grandfather and father.

So I decided to look for more Moody/Snape under romance. Next I'll look under hurt/comfort or adventure. :)
Tea for Lupin chapter 2 . 11/7/2011
Well. Gosh. I must say this is not a pairing I expected to like (nor one I would seek out more of, necessarily) but you characterize both Snape and Moody beautifully. The rhinoceros is simultaneously ridiculous and perfect. And the part where Snape shrinks and pockets Moody's new leg is comedy gold. Ha!
spin84 chapter 2 . 6/29/2011
What a delightfully disturbing pair, but as you present it so fabulously fascinating too. I blame Selmak and her recent Troika story for reading your summary to include Minerva within their affairs, in a casual sort of way of course. ;-) Now there's a story in the making...

Spin Xx
susan chapter 1 . 6/6/2011
delightful! I giggled enough at mooding "shuffling off the rhino coil" to alarm my cat. poor moody and snape. :( it's a shame they had to die. though of course snape seems to be much more frequently resurrected in fanfiction than not, so he still lives on. :D
Dragonist chapter 2 . 2/18/2011
Oh my god. You just took the two most unsexy character in canon and turned them into this. Together. I'd ask how, but I don't think I'd be intelligent enough to understand.

Congratulations. You have divided by zero.
LucklessObserver chapter 2 . 2/13/2011

:D
Swallow B chapter 2 . 9/26/2010
Another story I only read because you wrote it, frankly not expecting anything extraordinary. What a difficult challenge. And you pulled it off really well : good Moody, good Snape, good Minerva and excellent writing. Not every good writer would have had the ability and the courage to get into this. It shows open-mindedness, flexibility, playfulness and willingness not to take yourself too seriously, which are essential qualities for a writer. You pass the test, with Outstanding, I think.
excessivelyperky chapter 2 . 9/13/2010
I don't know how they're going to arrange for both of them to be on top, but somehow I think they'll manage...
excessivelyperky chapter 1 . 9/13/2010
Ha, this is brilliant! Love this first chapter.
Vera Rozalsky chapter 2 . 8/7/2010
Ch 1

This description struck me particularly (and made the rest of the setting snap into sharp focus): "Victorian tools for tasks no longer done, moth-eaten clothing faded to colourlessness, carved bits of wood with no discernable aesthetic or practical function."

"Without speaking, he shoved his parcel onto the crowded counter, knocking aside a tarnished candelabrum and a hair wreath." More disused Victoriana.

"Severus Snape," it rasped. "As I barely live and breathe. Well, don't just stand there, boy. Come and save me." And what an entrance he's made! One is pulled, as if by gravitation, straight into the next section.

Moody's convalescence: absolutely the most ornery, cussed, perverse (in the original sense of the word) hurt-comfort dynamic I've yet seen, and yet weirdly hilarious. If I had to pick out the good bits... I'd be quoting most of it. The lines about poison vs dehydration, and Moody re-evaluating his notion of Snape's allegiance to Darkness were particularly good. The push-pull here between two gnarled, misanthropic survivors is absolutely marvelous. The mutual attraction passed over in the negative is a particularly good touch: of course nothing happened. Just an unaccountable physical response-certainly nothing to _talk about_.

"Thank you for saving my sorry arse, you miserable fuck." What tenderness, what romance! What poetry! And so in character! I laughed.

ch 2

The laconic retelling of the end of the HP saga by Snape is wonderfully in character, Moody's reactions likewise, and the whole stands as an example answering the question 'When is reported dialogue the more effective device?'

'There was a pause as their eyes met in the wavy mirror over the bureau. Then Snape smiled his feral smile.

"Care to find out?"'

Never have two crabby middle-aged men been more hot than in this scene. I'm not sure how you do it.

And the two-steps-forward-one-step-back nature of physical recovery is brilliantly delineated in this entire chapter.

The whole scene with Minerva is brilliant, every word of dialogue pitch-perfect... but then your Minerva is perfection, your crown jewel, and as for the whole in-the-trenches, one-off-under-fire nature of the Alastor/Minerva liaison-fantastically realistic, as one of the less-acknowledged features of the human animal, protean in its sexuality as in everything else.

The rhino... as a cock joke not a penis joke. Yes, we understand the distinction.

Crabby old people in love and lust-what a completely under-explored literary subject! thank you unutterably much for taking it on. May you live long and prosper and write lots and lots more like this. :)

A final note on the art of writing and the technology of reading: I read this last night on my _cell phone_ (OK, not a sentence I ever thought I'd write. We must be living in the future.) Tiny, tiny print, and sentences turned into paragraphs, but the prose was perfection and no detail was missed. On the sprawling real-estate of a full-sized mobile workstation, a different experience, but it still reads gloriously well. You've done something terrifically right: written bullet-proof sentences. Brava!
Kyer chapter 2 . 4/6/2010
Well, that was enjoyable. I like irascible Moody and snarky Snape together. Better than their being dead. *sigh*
M chapter 2 . 4/1/2010
War of the words...well done!