Reviews for Who We Are
Darklife21 chapter 1 . 3/22/2013
This was so sweet! I really love such tender moments between them.
Saber Wing chapter 1 . 7/27/2010
You captured their characters perfectly. Wonderful fic!
Paxwolf chapter 1 . 2/10/2010
Beautiful ficlet, Artemis. *sniffles*

Only those who have been in that place of grief could really understand and relate to the powerful emotions you have Yuri experience so evocatively here.

And you have them both so in-character through this lovely little scene! Wonderfully done.

(and as an aside, I can't believe how much you can write all while doing your PHD too! I really want to know your secret ... :-) All your recent fics have been fabulous, as usual, (I'm just reading when I can which isn't often, sadly, but I really love your KKM stories and your take on Conrad and Yuri) and I envy you your obvious time-management skills! I barely have time to sleep never mind get online, never mind actually write! Good on you!)

This was truly very touching. I wish I had me a Conrad to be so gentle with ME when I need to cry! *sniffles again* Nice work!
lav123 chapter 1 . 2/9/2010
Heart wrenchingly lovely. Sigh. Thanks for sharing.
flaides chapter 1 . 2/8/2010
What a gorgeous, bittersweet snippet. What I liked best is this resigned quiet between the two, but this mutual understanding and silent ...well... silent approval, I suppose. I also very much enjoyed reading the allusions to Conrad's weaker side. Of course, probably along with many others, my favorite sentence is this: "I can’t sleep."

"I know", said Conrad simply, and it didn’t seem strange, was perfectly natural, that Conrad should take off his boots and his jacket and lie down on the bed next to him.

I really like this stage. Very well put but not so overly romantic or anything. You captured that rare look at the trust and need between the two. I really loved this, like all your other writings. Wonderful job! I really hope to see more from you.
pyrrhicvictoly chapter 1 . 2/8/2010
I really liked this one, and the muted feel of it, like how the horror of the situation doesn't quite sink in until the end. I've always been intrigued by how seeing all the violence in Shin Makoku would affect Yuuri. Most authors tend to ignore that and have Yuuri go on as a complete innocent, but I like this interpretation a lot better. You've really touched on their strength of character - how they can overcome survivor's guilt and grieve and heal. It was also really sweet how Conrad shared his experiences and helped Yuuri through the process.
Lady Nara chapter 1 . 2/7/2010
;_;

Oh, that was beautifully done. So very Conrad, to be supportive in that way which encourages Yuuri to grow while gentling him when he hits the agony that comes with it. I can definitely see them both lying on the bed together staring at the ceiling talking about grief.

And Yuuri, drawing Conrad out regarding his own grief and loss...I wonder if he's ever really allowed himself to talk about it with anyone other than Yuuri? I would imagine that many people tried, only to be stonewalled. So very Yuuri, to be able to touch that wound and bring companionship and healing, when Conrad intended to be be the one doing all the comforting.

Wonderful. Thank you for sharing!
pheecat chapter 1 . 2/7/2010
I'm not exactly sure how to describe this, or rather how I feel reading it...'quiet' comes to mind. I suppose what I mean is that you really convey Yuuri's pain and Conrad's comfort, and the way that Yuuri can be competely, totally himself in Conrad's presence. It's friendship more than romance or perhaps it's one of the best aspects of romance, somebody that you can be completely vulnerable with and be completely accepted. Even though it wasn't a long piece, it was moving and memorable.