Reviews for Metaphysics
Bella the Brave...

the temptress, oblivious.

jansails/jan2
dorothy's ruby slippers chapter 8 . 3/31/2010
Once again, so very well done. From the Blake references, to the canon twists at every turn.

The bit with Rosalie and the headstone was very clever as well.

Fantastic update, truly!

xoxo,

drs
xjjx chapter 8 . 3/30/2010
Lovely. Bella is so strong and sure. I like her.

Great job with the cemetery scene. I loved it. I've said this before, but you have such a knack for setting a strong scene, and not necessarily by describing it. I knew it was too dark for her to see, but you never said "It was dark" or something that simple. We experience it with her as she can't find the Cullens, then trips on Alice, and finally tries to read a headstone. Et cetera.

Have you written anything else? I'd love to see more if you have anything else published anywhere. You seem to have the same twenty-six letters as the rest of us but somehow manage to do such wonderful things with them. :)
WallaWallaMama chapter 8 . 3/30/2010
Wonderful. Marvelous. Fantastic. Captivating. So much to love in this chapter - Edward softening, Bella tempting, subtle touches that remind her of Dream Edward's presence. The reverence of Rose's words in the cemetery. And poetry. The intertwining of past and present remind me (in a very good way, I assure you) of A.S. Byatt's Possession, a book I re-read at least once a year. Even better that a character from the past is also in the present.
cgc chapter 8 . 3/30/2010
Rosalie's little speech about the romanticism of eternal love was really moving. Just beautiful. It's almost exactly the sentiment that was running through my mind when we buried my grandfather next to my grandmother. Only without the vampires. It still breaks me up to think of the undying love of a man who spent the last 20 years of his life without her and still wanted to rest beside her forever.
boobycat chapter 8 . 3/30/2010
A stroke of saucy genius on Bella's behalf. Making Edward betray himself by looking him in the eye and spilling her fantasy! Argh! Gripping, thrilling sexy stuff! More please :-)
mysecretshame chapter 8 . 3/30/2010
Wow.

1) It is Carlisle, then. I thought for a moment the historic Mr. Cullen was actually Edward. So Sophie...is Esme? I think. I think so. He wouldn't have mentioned having once wooed a beautiful woman with poetry in front of Esme unless Esme *was* that beautiful woman.

2) So if I understand this right, Bella started to realize that Edward had wanted her all along, and decided to test the theory by seeing if arousal corresponded to eye blackening - the one signal that was common to all her most awkward Edward run-ins. Smart, sexy move there my Bella. I nearly combusted.

3) I'm a little obsessed with this story. I kind of want to pay you to write full time so that I can get updates more quickly. And if I had a Cullen-sized trust fund, I would. No such luck:(
lindseyaj chapter 6 . 3/30/2010
Hello! I just discovered your story and wanted to tell you how much I'm really enjoying it. It's beautifully written and the plot is very unique. This section of the story in particular:

"The act of being so intimately involved in the presence of another person usually made me uncomfortable but, when I closed my eyes, I was washed into it with him and without any lingering self-consciousness. I could convince myself that the melody swelled up as I inhaled, that it became part of me, that it would forever take up satisfied residence inside the rise and fall of my chest.

My heart felt like a metronome."

That is the most beautiful description of Bella hearing Edward's song I've ever read. It far surpasses cannon. I love how she subconsciously picked up that she (and her body's movements) were the rhythm for Edward's composition(s).

One more chapter to read and then I'm sure I'll be anxiously waiting for an update from you! I've stumbled upon some horrific fanfics lately, so thank you for restoring my faith.
nondescript user chapter 7 . 3/30/2010
Very intriguing story! I'm very curious to see what happened to Sophie, and how Edward is actually going to win over Bella. I love the way you utilize the flashbacks to 1688. Such a unique story, I will definitely recommend it to others - speaking of, I saw this rec'd on TLYDF. Thanks for writing!
isabeausink chapter 7 . 3/30/2010
Oh, what fun! SR is right. The inclusion of the verse is essential. More is expected of us, your readers. For those entranced by Twific *coughfuckmecough* there is plenty of straightforward pulpy fun to be had, whether it be angst, comedy, romance, or delightful combos. And ofcourse many are well written.

But I'm having to use more of my brain cells here with "Metaphysics". And I get to utilize my occupational skills more readily. Bear with me.

Conjectures:

"Lesson of the Moth" helps me to ruminate.

I've mentioned elsewhere that yours is a self-conscious text. And your Bella suffers under the same weight. It is utterly cool that Bella (your scholar) is charged with the excavation of the past, both literary and historical. At the same time, it is the reader's job (I'm taking up your gauntlet, thrown with gentle force) to ferrett out Bella's past.

Her interiority is almost overpowering. Her *internal ramblings* are replete with regret, but we do not know the source - *the history* or events that have made her who she is. Bella uses the second poem to examine *motivation.* Chronologically, motivation precedes regret; it is past action or event that brings about afterthought and concluding emotion. Basically, I've been bothered by Bella's lack of a known past. It is difficult to emphasize with her own regret when we know nothing of her motivation. Now that we have these poems and begin to see how Bella is beginning to think about them in the context of her research, it is useful to recognize the way her musings can help the reader to be...patient. We will follow the clues, as they are given to us, concretely or hinted at, to slowly recognize a past that will illuminate present circumstantial emotion and action. Hence, a slow reveal of character that we may not be used to in the fandom.

On a lighter note, it is fun to think about who is the moth and who the flame. Also there is a cool alliance suggested by the first poem. William has a *vocation given by God* and *one that he wants for himself.* Latterly, Bella has her vocation, one of scholarship, and another that is more personal. That is...Edward.

Whew! Now if that was a mess, I apologize. While your fic makes me think, I only have a little time to reflect and purge. RL and the patter of little feet interrupts. I hope that my reflections were decipherable.

More than happy to await an update. (More Edward please.)
isabeausink chapter 6 . 3/30/2010
O...Do I smell Vampires? I swear I felt shivers, pleasant ones, when Edward suggests that he knows more about her nocturnal habits then she realizes ("You never do.") And the eroticism of the forearm...well, we'll see.

As mentioned in an earlier review, I am struck by how self-conscious Bella is, not to mention your prose. I thought that it was perfect that in moments filled with music, Bella is able to let go and feel the source of her emotions without being clouded by misgiving or apology.

And about that...we hear again that Bella feels the need to "repent." We have, arguably, more clues as to what is happening between Edward and Bella's subjects of study than we possess with regard to the scholars themselves. The curtain of confession remains heavy and drawn. This particular sacrament requires procedure, steps to be taken. She, or you, am, must admit first, before repentance occurs, and certainly, then absolution can take place. But I am in no hurry. With absolution, supposedly, comes peace and conclusion. But none of us are ready for that. Feeling *stirred* and gripped with the anticipation of sin is usually more fun.
isabeausink chapter 5 . 3/30/2010
"Oh my. Of course."

And yet I am completely in the dark. Well, I suppose I have a few speculations. But I do not dare guess out loud. I can be secretive too.

I will say that I wonder about Edward's olifactory capabilities. When doing research with original sources I don't often...sniff.
isabeausink chapter 4 . 3/30/2010
Cryptic? Close to the hip? Saturated with secrets?

Most definitely. What makes your story, and this chapter in particular, so astonishing is that the mystery is coupled with a fixation with Bella's subconscious and her inner life, where it might follow that more would be revealed. To be honest, at times the passages dealing with Bella's interiority are difficult to wade through; dialogue is interrupted to the point of distraction, scenery and setting disappears, and...where is Edward (because we can't wait to get our grubby little minds enlisted with his...parts)?

That being said, I can assume that is part of your plan. The slow revelation of secrets is an obvious element of narrative arc and suspense, etc. And that makes your proposed plot with themes of scholarship and literary dig quite self-conscious and self-referential.

I hope that Bella can break out a little from her mind. She seems to desire this herself as evidenced by her reaction to Edward at one point. ("What I really wanted to do was take some action to nip the Edward problem in the bud. I needed to, as Jake would say, do something, even if it was wrong.") It is hard to know, so far, what might be the appropriate action to take. It seems that Bella and Edward *doth protest too much* for it is not yet clear why Bella is so affected by Edward's high school behavior.

So, "You wouldn't be up for something more...exciting? A secret or two."

Yes, I will wait. Not unlike Bella's need to "know what (Sophie) became," I want to know more about what Bella was and why her present course seems so confused.

"Rambling internally? So sad Bella." Act...
SanguineTaurean chapter 7 . 3/30/2010
I just completed the chapters to one of the stories by SR and recommended this story so here I am! The both of you are blowing my mind! This particular story is intelligent and making me think, so much so that I've had to reread several paragraphs in each chapter.

Did the Cullen's move (back) to London so Edward could protect them from Bella's research and possible discovery or are they really there for the education (which is highly unlikely)? Or does Bella remind Edward of Sophie so much so that he has to be near her? Or see if she can find out for him what happened to Sophie? Convoluted thinking or on to something? What happened to/between William and Sophie? Hhm... Sophie was very aware of Edward and his non-human qualities.

Bella is so much more observant than she was in Forks. She has a sense of things, more in tune with the Cullens, the house and it's contents, the music, Edward's words and mannerisms. 'Tis very interesting indeed.

When the next chapter is online I may have to start at the beginning again...without regret!
isabeausink chapter 3 . 3/30/2010
Did I catch a second Star Wars Reference in this fic already? The Force *is* metaphysical, yes? Ha!

I also appreciated the fact that Bella approaches her Donne class in her "very own death march."

Seeds are being planted. Slow reveals are, oh, so good.
2,211 | « Prev Page 1 .. 126 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 146 .. Last Next »