Reviews for Metaphysics
Gremdelion chapter 7 . 3/27/2010
I decided to give this story a peek after reading SR's glowing review over at TLYDF and I'm extremely happy to have done so.

I'm a sucker for a few things when it comes to fiction, namely use of language, descriptive prose and keeping the reader mystified. This story delivers in spades. There's a quintessentially anachronistic feel to Bella's internal narrative (perhaps she's channeling Sophie?) that is delicious to read, and the mystique of the nightly dreams and research into the metaphysical poetry reminds me vividly of Guy Gavriel Kay's 'Ysabeau'.

Writing AU, and doing it well, is not an easy task but even these few chapters already up make me want to brave the ride. Chalk down one excited new reader.
jansails chapter 7 . 3/27/2010
The instances when one reads something interesting, intriguing, & intelligent, within the fanfic realm of "Twilight", are few & far between.

Kudos to you, dear author, for accomplishing just that.

I eagerly await the nest installment.

How the heck I ended up with all the "i" words, I haven't a clue :-)

blueXsun chapter 7 . 3/27/2010
i can't remember who recc'd this story and made me come read it, but i'm so glad i did! i like it a lot. very intriguing and i'm looking forward to the mystery unraveling. thanks for writing! love it!
BelovedSunshine chapter 7 . 3/27/2010
I had printed this update and read it a few days ago. I"m sorry that this review couldn't be more detailed - b/c goodness knows, this story, yourwords, deserve it.

~I love the moth imagery.

~I like how much more familiar Edward is becoming w/ touching her.

~She is so mad at him! I makes me giggle, she's so mad. And somehow, the fact that Jasper knows how pissed she is just makes it more amusing! LOL

~Part of me REALLY wants her to resist and NOT go with them. Just to prove the point that she isn't their toy. Which WE know she's not, but they seem to sweetly "push" her around A LOT! She sort of knows it, but has looked past it. Say, "no" just to prove the point that you get to! That may not be the best choice for her, but you've done a good enough job here that I'm sort of pissed at him too! LOL

Thanks for wonderful chapter!
deenerneener chapter 1 . 3/27/2010
I found this story through a recommendation from Sebastien Robichaud, author of the exquisite University of Edward Masen, one of my all-time favorite fanfics.

Based on this prologue, I am intrigued.

Good writing, and I'm very curious to know more, both about the 17th century goings-on (with Carlisle, I presume), and the events leading up to Bella's solitary London sojourn.

Looking forward to satisfying my curiosity!

Thanks for writing.
Beans827 chapter 1 . 3/27/2010
Hm...very intriguing. Just so you know, Sebastien Robichaud recommended your fic in her fic "The University of Edward Masen" so I thought I'd trot on over and see what is up. And I need to know more, so I must head to the next chapter. Very intriguing seeing into Carlisle's past and now to know Bella is dreaming of Edward. Hmm...can't wait to see what happens.
threedayman chapter 7 . 3/27/2010
WOW A Bella that has a brain and sense and is not afraid to use both...! That's rare!
SpringHale chapter 7 . 3/27/2010
Great chapter!

I really like the split in Bella's mind between her nightly visitor and the man in front of her. And how you seem to make him more appealing to her in the dark (and to the reader, needless to add) ...excellently done.

I don't want to guess where you are taking us. It is much too enjoyable to go along with your story. Thanks for writing. This story deserves to be one of those that gets many reviews and even more readers. I am sure you will.

Tw101 chapter 7 . 3/26/2010
So Edward has a dark past and a century of life under his belt, what's Bella's excuse for having a permanent stick up her ass? I hope not all women are portrayed as such in the world. I wish Edward would just drink her dry.. more useful and pleasant that way.
ECD chapter 7 . 3/26/2010
I am in love with your story! Your writing is beautiful. The words flow together in such a way as if they have always been joined in that fashion. I'm truly envious of your skill and technique.

I cannot wait to read more. Write quickly, please!
Annedoodle chapter 7 . 3/26/2010
Good Afternoon.

Esme, the epitome of motherly goodness.

I never considered the convoluted emotions Bella would experience when her "dream Edward" came to fruition.

I wonder how I would feel in the same circumstance?

"Your wish, my command."

The saying, "don't write checks that your ass can't cash" come to mind. ;)

Why can't women of today accept a compliment?

The mysterious nature of Edward and Bella's research is compelling.

Edwards frustration over the poem is palpable. Interesting.

Oh dear, Edward isn't going to be pleased with Bella's nocturnal wanderings...

Graveyard hopping, that sounds exciting...
SpringHale chapter 5 . 3/26/2010
Lovely. You seem to come into your own in this chapter. The style is much more fluid and the 'congress' between them is dazzling. Thank you so much for this account of joint archival research. Much more fun that I remember it. SH
cosmogirl7481 chapter 7 . 3/26/2010
Dearest Peaches,

I am tardy...once again.

Please forgive me.

You get better and better with each passing chapter. I am completely fascinated with Edward and his reactions to Bella...and her reactions to him.

This particular exchange stands out to me:

I smiled and rolled my eyes. "Yes. She laid out 'options' for me. I half-expected a look-book. I can't breathe in her jeans, but a skirt seems a bit much for doing homework - though this was the least dressy. Beggars don't get to be choosers…." I shrugged, uncomfortable with being examined.

"You hardly look like a beggar. I only think I've seen you in a skirt at your graduation. I like it, if that counts for anything."

My cheeks began a slow increase in temperature and I played with a non-existent bit of lint on my sleeve. "Alice has lovely taste."

"Alice isn't wearing it. The compliment was intended for you, but I can pass it along to her if you don't want it." He smiled and shook his head at my inability to simply say "thank you".

"Thank you. For passing it along and…for saying so." I stumbled over the last bit but I knew he understood me. My cheeks only warmed a little more.

It just feels natural and real. Everything about it...the dialogue...the physical reactions...her internal struggle and defensiveness. You're a very good writer. You capture those small things that we would focus on in the moment, but tend to brush aside in the retelling.

And thanks to SR for convincing you to add more poetry. You're really very talented at writing it. If I were to attempt to write poetry, it would end up being a cross between a cheesy Hallmark card and Dr. Seuss. (Just in case you ever wondered.)

I also loved the “moth” comparison. Brilliant. I never would have thought of it. Your story has such layers and depth. Every paragraph contains a different gem that I get to discover.

I have already, shamelessly fangirled over your ability to spin words into gold. I don’t know if I’ve ever seen anything quite like it. Truly. I’m in awe of you more and more.

One more thing: I loved Bella’s internal monologue when she was out at the pub. I find her fascinating. I want to know what she’s thinking all the time.

Looking forward to the next chapter and her time out with the Cullens. I wonder how Edward will push her buttons…or how she’ll push his.

I’ll take that naked hug now!

Annedoodle chapter 6 . 3/26/2010
Good Morning.

I feel the need to admit that several problems with my review of the previous chapter, unfortunately my internet provider picked that time to discontinue it's usually productive ways. So it is with sadness I report my previous review has been eaten by my computer. My apologies.

One must understand that although a girl likes to be pampered, most women enjoy their independence. What a fine line we chose to walk.

"It would have been nice to have done all this in Forks years ago."

Can I throw a temper tantrum to get the explanation for "why"?

Bella is totally busted. Is she going to be embarrassed or ashamed?

Oh my, I feel Bella's mortification at being noticed in the middle of her "revelation".

"Son, you may end up embarrassed if you're not on your game."

Vegetable lasagna, a personal favorite of mine!

"My heart felt like a metronome."

Such a personal passage for it's myriad of meanings.

"I wrote it but it belongs to someone else. When are we going to return that box of letters, Miss Swan?"

Yep, totally busted.

Oh irritation, I didn't anticipate that one, well played! Now a bit of shame... is this for my benefit alone?

Bella's banter in her self-consious sounds vaguely familiar. Hm where would I have heard that before? Hm, not a clue. *please don't look in my direction*

"You don't know what I am or am not capable of. You and I are just getting reacquainted, Mr. Cullen. Any number of awful things could have occurred in your absence."

Can Bella's lips form the word "why"?

One must appreciate Bella's attempt to use all of her "tools".

Oh poor Edward, can't handle a little bit of breast.

I find myself desperate for Edwards thoughts and perspective.

"Why aren't we friends? I think we should be."

"I wish I could undo that, erase my regrettable conduct from your memory. But, what's done is done. I won't make you regret being friends with me now, I promise."

*sigh* Edward, I will hold you too that promise.

"You never do,"

*can you hear my heart go pitter-patter?*

Words escape me.
SpringHale chapter 3 . 3/26/2010
Thank you for sharing this captivating and beautifully written story with us. It is quite a leap of faith to imagine QMUL as a place where romance develops but I am willing to be persuaded. SR wrote a very encouraging review so I started reading and I simply could not stop. It's very exciting how you seem to be building up ambiguity about the nature of Edward and even Carlisle. Very intriguing. You have another devoted reader!

2,162 | « Prev Page 1 .. 127 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 .. Last Next »