Reviews for Metaphysics
Maddy chapter 7 . 3/24/2010
wow... never thought Bella could be an even bigger b1tch... She's such a hypocrite if she's angry at the way Edward gets under her skin. She's so annoying, self-absorbed and seems to suffer from permanent PMS.
Soleil2 chapter 7 . 3/24/2010
This reminds me, minus the part where half the characters are vampires and from Twilight, of A.S. Byatt's Possession. I can't wait to see where it's going!
twilighterNY chapter 7 . 3/24/2010
Dearest Peaches,

I did some research on moth symbolism. Although so many of us think that moths don't have any significant purpose of its existence (my Mr. Smarty Pants said "they eat shirts!), in which I am of them (facepalms), I found this;

"The moth is a symbol of sensitivity and impulsiveness, in dreams it can mean impending danger, and has traditionally been associated with psychic powers and their development. And of course like butterflies, they represent transformation. Apparently they're an omen of death in some cultures too.

In Tassograph - Moth - Dangerous attraction leading to unhappiness."

I've come to wonder, as moths are attracted to lights (they are positively phototatic), that perhaps William desperately wished that he would see the light at the end of the tunnel...(tap chin)

PS Did I miss the teaser for this chapter?

Coco
Annedoodle chapter 1 . 3/24/2010
Intriguing...

I found your adventure from the recommendation of SR on The Discerning Ficster.

Let's see where this tale takes us...
LUM1NOUS chapter 7 . 3/24/2010
YES! I am loving this! Thank you for such a quick chapter!
prospectcat chapter 7 . 3/24/2010
Saw the rec for your story on TLYDF. It's beautiful. A perfect way to waste away a Wednesday.
Katara97 chapter 7 . 3/24/2010
I LOVE this. ]
forbiddenkisses chapter 7 . 3/24/2010
I'm not sure a story has ever driven me to review chapter by chapter. Yet here I am, staring at a mostly blank review box, choking on my own words because there is so much I want to say that I simply cannot articulate it. This is beyond exquisite- the pull between Edward and Bella, the Copelands, everything. I'm thoroughly ensnared by the story. You're doing a fantastic job and I thank you so much for choosing to share this with us.
miaokuancha chapter 7 . 3/24/2010
Wow, Bella's really touchy with Edward, isn't she ... :-(

I guess it would never occur to her that Edward might be subject to any kind of emotional distress ... ? Oh what a tangled web we weave.

I love your inclusion of more verse. Once again you have given something so evocative of poor Carlisle's plight. If only Bella knew how appropriate her free-association with 'The Lesson of the Moth' really is, and just WHY Edward was so put out by it. *sigh* (btw, I am a huge fan of archie and mehitabel. I had a copy of "archy's life of mehitabel" in my bookcase when I was growing up.)
Adamanta Banks chapter 7 . 3/24/2010
Dear AM,

Thank you for writing, as always.

I want to comment on the Don Marquis poem as I had read it before. I enjoy your poetic inclusions, whether they are personal emanations or intertextual references. I was introduced to Don Marquis by an ex (unfortunately or fortunately) and I have read a few academic journals on him, mostly in a political context though.

Edward's reaction was understandable (I think), for the Don Marquis poem touches on the irony of the lifeless pulse of vampiric existence. It raises many questions regarding the immortality of beauty. Actually, the message is multi faceted and penetrates much deeper than the question of beauty's existence, but rather, how is beauty defined? Miss Copeland's letters and poems are beautiful and as her words have inked the page, they somehow claim permanence, an everlasting existence. However, we all know that paper can meet a blazing death as well (much like vampires), so it's an interesting conundrum. As the moth is attracted to the flame because it is full of life and beauty, it will inevitably lead to death. I can see the parallel with a vampire and human relationship, at least from a canon perspective (but we all know that Bella did not become an "unsightly cinder" (forever)-she was made to be beautiful (forever).

No matter how you interpret it, Edward's reaction can be surmised provided what the reader knows. I wonder what this means for his relationship with Bella? She is hot to the touch, for sure, (and she is a bit of a spitfire with her retorts), but I wonder if Edward worries that if he expressed his feelings if he will be met with a blazing, beautiful heart that will last forever, or if their friendship would die in the pursuit.

I like this part of the poem too:

"fire is beautiful

and we know that if we get

too close it will kill us

but what does that matter

it is better to be happy

for a moment

and be burned up with beauty"

I don't know if I agree with the moth, but he raises an interesting argument. As he is a nocturnal creature, along with vampires, it's interesting that they both have these suicidal thoughts...

And I would also like to say something about Alice's boots (of course). I loved your description of the wash of the suede. Cherry Coke has that interesting glow to it that I think is noticed by a lot of people, but never appreciated (in words). I enjoyed that. The Coca-Cola polar bear would give you a big bear hug!

And Sergio Rossi? One of the best shoe designers (for heels/boots) in my opinion (apart from Yves Saint Laurent). Brava on that selection!

Thank you for sharing the poetry. It brings your characters to "life".

giggles,

Brooke
Ruibin Rua chapter 7 . 3/24/2010
Another glorious piece of writing, AM, and I was so pleased to see a chapter again so soon - thank you so much for that!

I love how you weave subtle humour into your story and really enjoyed the interaction between Bella, Edward, Carlisle and Esme at breakfast - it's not slapstick or crude, but it shows true appreciation of the little foibles and nuances of human (ahem) society!

You dealt with Bella's feelings of rejection very well - she moved out from the rosy glow of chapter 6 to the cold reality of Edward's shifting moods. I especially enjoyed your mention of Edward receiving phone calls on both occasions when it looked like he was going to speak to Bella in the car - we, the readers, rub our hands in glee at being in the secret!

Your Bella is intelligent, witty, humble and surprisingly observant; she has yet to put all the pieces of the puzzle about the Cullens together, but I have no doubt that she will with time. Running along side this we have the intriguing mystery surrounding Sophie Copeland and I love the slightly gothic feel to all of this!

Finally, can I say once again how beautifully you write - your turn of phrase is skilled and effortless and the words you choose always fit so perfectly without sounding contrived. Your own verse was delightfully deep as well - you are very talented!

I will leave the last word with SR from his review on TLYDF:

"The story is well written in a style that is unique and fluid, without being lapidary or self-indulgent. Make no mistake - the plot isn't fluffy or riddled with jokes, although subtle humour emerges. But the character studies are interesting twists on canon as are some of the original plot points from "Twilight." This is a story for a thinking reader who appreciates fine language and fine details and who will read with the patience a good yarn leisurely unwound requires."

Splendid! :-)
squarepancake chapter 7 . 3/24/2010
Lovely chapter. I quite enjoy the verse. Hmm- I do wonder what Edward was going to say after the moth poem that Alice kept interrupting. Probably something that would alienate Bella further. Because he's good at that. Goes to show that no matter how long you've been around, boys can be dumb.

I'm sure Edward is once again disappointed that Bella didn't remember everything from the night before. Though subtly teasing her about her dreams was fun.
GothicTemptress chapter 7 . 3/24/2010
Just as he gets under her skin, he has the same effect on me. I don't blame her for replying in monosyllables. And going to the cemetery at night...how...goth of them. ;) Another great chapter.
loudashope113 chapter 7 . 3/24/2010
Again, my dear, this story is truly lovely. Your verse is beautiful, and I love the way you worked in the other poem as well.

This Bella is so AWARE, and yet so clueless. She catches every little bridge-pinch and side comment. That inkwell thing was brilliant. I wonder when our lovely is going to start putting two and two together, hm?

Oh, the comparison to a cockroach hit a nerve with Edward, even if this is Carlisle's past and not his. I love how beautifully you portray the tenuous relationship between E and B. Edward has not been simply forgiven of everything for some kind words and a steaming cup of tea. One mistake or misstep has the power to unravel all of Edward's kindness because of the level to which he hurt Bella.

And the wolves...I will be interested to hear that back story. Although there is a part of me that does not want Jacob to feature prominently in a romantic sense in any fic, I am sure you will do it well.

You have also captured the unstoppable force of Alice and her fashion sense without making it too "Bella Barbie." And the Jasper wink - guh.

I have some working theories on the mystery that I might PM you with later. Feel free to not answer any of them and leave me begging for more. :-) Nice chappy. This story is my new favorite.
aj79k40 chapter 3 . 3/24/2010
They're first meeting (in London) was very entertaining. I'm looking forward to future interactions!
2,140 | « Prev Page 1 .. 127 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 .. Last Next »