Reviews for Quiet Desperation
TARDIS Blue Carbuncle chapter 2 . 3/3/2012
This is an amazing story! Neil Gaiman would be proud. I am also glad to see that Holmes and Adler (if this were based on Canon I would call her Norton, but with your storyline, it looks like she never met her lawyer) are NOT in a romantic relationship. Sidenote: your reference to Victor Frankenstein and his monsters is BRILLIANT! Looking forward to more!
anon chapter 2 . 10/21/2011
This is amazing. The idea of A Study in Emerald is an incredibly one but you have added on to it in an equally fantastical way. Watson's voice sounds so spot on, even these strange circumstances. You add those little touches just like Lovecraft, Watson finding the sheet of paper thick with writing, the sudden cessation of the sounds in the back of his mind with the application of the amulet. This is amazing and I'm glad you wrote you and shared it.
Earelwen chapter 2 . 3/18/2011
I'm so glad this story exists. I just rediscovered my copy of "Fragile Things" and since last reading it I have come to love Sherlock Holmes. I was desperate for someone to have explored further into the world of "A Study in Emerald" and you've done a fantastic job. It's brilliant the way you've brought together both Doyle and Lovecraft's worlds and invented a complex one of your own to boot. The fact it's also faithful to "Emerald" is just stunning. Please continue the story! I really want to see if Holmes and Watson can build any of the friendship of Doyle's world and I'm also very intrigued by the Miss Morstan you so slyly dropped in there. Please come back and update. This is a fantastic story for a niche-genre that desperately needs more content
AK-47 chapter 2 . 12/19/2010
This is well done. It feels like I'm reading both Arthur Conan Doyle and Neil Gaiman channelling him. I know stuff happens in real life but I hope to read more of your story someday.
TrisakAminawn chapter 1 . 11/30/2010
Heh. I always wanted to see 'Study in Emerald' expanded upon. So Watson and Moran were in the same unit? There were several stylistic imperfections I could point out, and a certain sense of inconsistency between when he was offered the position of Royal Physician and accepted and when he went half-crazy with the duties-if he didn't know what he was getting into when he accepted, we should probably be told that.

And the whole thing felt a little rushed, for all its volubility. The explanations often sounded more like they were addressed to someone outside the Cthuloid Albion world than someone inside it.

Apart from those things, though, it was really very good. I knew the monk was going to be Holmes, of course, and Adler was a nice surprise, I think. Good content and idea, both, and the voice was about as it should be, apart from the rush. Verne thing was neat. I enjoyed.

Chronology is troubling me-the Emerald case will have to follow directly, considering how quickly Moran and Moriarty wound up with it after rooming together, and that Watson was in hospital six months and Royal Physician long enough to learn all he has. And I had had the impression Watson had been with the rebels a while by that time. Moran never made Colonel in this world, as far as I know, and isn't necessarily much older than Watson, but tying their backgrounds together gives you a serious handicap in arranging the story as you like. Oh, well. This works, too.
Owl344 chapter 2 . 10/31/2010
I quite liked this entire thing, but especially the ending of this chapter-"I nearly choked on my fish", indeed!
Guest chapter 2 . 8/15/2010
I have to admit, I absolutely love this story. I enjoyed reading A Study in Emerald and this perfectly captures the twistedness of that world, as well as the characters of Holmes and Watson.

Great fic!
stupidpenname chapter 1 . 7/8/2010
Hi I know you haven't added anything to this fic in a few months and I would just like to encourage you to keep going. I've only recently read a study in emerald and I like you take on it. If you find the time or the inspiration, just know that I will be waiting.
Mayhem Managed chapter 2 . 4/9/2010
Of course! Watson is the playwright because in the "Prime" Sherlock-verse he wrote the original stories!

Good job on this chapter. I do have one little quibble - would Dr. Frankenstein still have called his first creation "Adam" if Christianity has been long out of favor? - but otherwise, it's great. Very Victorian, and Post-Apocalyptic, at the same time.
Cmdr's Monkey chapter 2 . 4/1/2010
Lately Ive had a fascination for a Sherlock Holmes/Cthulhu crossover and Im glad to have stumbled across this. So when do we get to meet Mycroft or is he the reason Holmes hates the Elders so much?
Yvonne chapter 2 . 3/17/2010
Please continue this-I'd love to see this side of "Study in Emerald"!
Isis the Sphinx chapter 2 . 3/9/2010
*snerk* Watson gets to write! That was a surprise.

Great update, by the way. Looking forward to more. Keep writing!
Mayhem Managed chapter 1 . 2/20/2010
Oh, brilliant. I went back and re-read "Study in Emerald" after reading this, and was really struck by the way this fits "in the background", so to speak - for example, is Irene Adler the leading lady in the play? I think so now.

I also liked the way you brought some of the other Mythos elements, like the Ghouls and Hounds, which served to help make the story more dystopic.

The one bit that rubbed me wrong was Watson & Moran being in the same unit, but that's a pretty minor thing. I note with some pleasure that this ends as, "Part I", and hope that "Part II" isn't far behind. Again, great job!
Baughn chapter 1 . 2/13/2010
Very good. I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
Yvonne chapter 1 . 2/9/2010
Wow! Always great to see another "Study in Emerald" fanfic. I can't wait to read the next part!