Reviews for The Gambler's Debts
Crystia chapter 1 . 7/16/2012
Wow, I really liked this. I loved how you portrayed Yami...Poor Kaiba. He doesn't stand a chance under Yami's observant gaze...I thought Kaiba's protectiveness of Mokuba was well done, too.

Thanks for posting.
Guest chapter 1 . 4/21/2012
"Two," Kaiba replied flatly. The king raised an eyebrow. Mokuba looked like he wanted to be surprised. "So that is what this is about. Is my brother the only one called to the chopping block for that? Or is your idiotic zealotry at least consistent?"

"Your a part of this, whether you like it or not. Contrary to what you might believe, I don't want to kill the boy any more than you would."

"And I have every reason to believe you."

"You do have every reason to believe me. I do not lie." The target looked over at Mokuba, who scrambled backward as if expecting to die just from looking at him.. "Tell him. I did not want to do this to you. I still do not. You know the truth, Mokuba."

"Don't speak to him!" Kaiba commanded. "You have no right to speak to him, you have no right to look at him!"

"Mokuba...tell him."

"Say his name again and I'll rip out your tongue and hang you with it!"

The target smirked. "Such anger, Kaiba-shachou. Is it any wonder why people target your brother? You make it so pathetically obvious."

"Don't patronize me, you overgrown maggot. I don't—"

"Why...are you here, Amelda."

The king's voice, backed by the gods, cut Kaiba short.

Amelda glared. "You know why."

"I know everything. Do you know why you are here? Can you put words to it?"

Amelda sneered.

Kaiba didn't bother to ask.

He simply crossed his arms and raised an eyebrow. He almost looked like his usual self; he almost looked like he was in a normal mood, casually irate and mutely disgusted. The rage was still there, but it was quiet now. Simmering.

The switch was so sudden that the target flinched.

The king heard Mokuba, breathing quickly, and glanced at him. The boy was trying to take up as little space as possible, curled in the fetal position and leaning against his brother's leg. Kaiba had instinctively stepped in front of him.

The king let out a resentful breath and said, "This is clearly the point at which you deliver the speech you have been planning ever since you started on this crusade. Tell us, peasant, who Miruko is."

" brother." The target seemed to have regained its composure, and some measure of confidence. "You're not the only one who would give his life to see his family again, Kaiba-shachou. Apparently you are the only one with the option, though."

The target glared at the king.

"This one," said the king, gesturing at Kaiba, "for what it is worth, has earned my favor. His brother, too, has earned my favor. You, and yours, have not. Nor are you making progress in changing that."

The target scoffed. "I don't care. It happened, that's all that matters. Somehow, some way, you brought Kaiba-shachou's beloved little mascot back, and that means there's hope for Miru."

The king raised an eyebrow. "Is that right? And how is it that you know that? What if my magic did not bring the young one back, but simply thwarted you? Am I correct in assuming that you left the boy to die, in order not to be caught? How can you be certain that my intervention did not occur then?"

The target barked a laugh, but it sounded forced. The king could see fear in the target's eyes. Uncertainty.

"I've heard enough of this," Kaiba spat.

"Oh, and you're so high and mighty?" the target demanded. "You have the right to look down on my decisions, is that right? And what did you do, as soon as your brother was taken from you? Huh? You went straight on the warpath, didn't you? Didn't you?"

Kaiba shook his head. "I sought out the one responsible for the crime."

"And I didn't? Aha, I see, so you didn't take part in your father's business, then?"

"Whatever blood was on my hands, I have paid for it. You still seem intent to ignore the fact that, even if I were directly responsible for however your brother died, you did not target me."

"Your father killed innocents. My brother had no part in that damned war, and yet he died."

"And your brother has my sympathy."

"Don't make me laugh. You don't have sympathy."

"It has never been my intention to make you laugh, and I hardly care about whatever conclusions you have to share in regard to my personality. I've heard enough. You've told me all that I need to know. You've told me more than I need to know."

"Well, isn't that fantastic?"

"Confident to the end. Commendable. Disgusting, but commendable. I'll be sure to put in a good word for you at your funeral."

"Confident. Right. Because you have every reason to be confident, right? Now that your pet magician is here to watch your—"

The target suddenly started to choke again, as the king turned his eyes away and gave the slightest of grimaces. "I agree with Kaiba," he murmured softly. "You have said enough, Amelda. Something you must understand: the only reason your heart is beating at all is to satisfy our collective curiosity as to your motivation."

"F-Fine! Then...kill...kill me!"

The king flipped a hand, and Kaiba's weapon flew into it. He eyed it critically. He knew little about firearms, just enough to know that they were entirely too complex for his tastes. Far too many chances for malfunction. For a weapon, meant for protection, it seemed entirely too counter-intuitive. However, it was simple enough to determine that Kaiba kept his personal...piece, he believed was the proper terminology, in prime condition. He glanced at Kaiba. "If you are certain that you have heard enough, then the deed is yours to complete. The gods will not deprive you of it."

"The gods," Kaiba muttered. "The same gods that let this waste of space kill my brother to begin with? How magnanimous of them."

The king shrugged. "If it eases your mind, recall that these same gods are currently protecting your brother. And you, for that matter. These same gods delivered the knowledge to me which is responsible for the fact that your brother is sitting behind you right now. I do not pretend to advocate their every decision. Truthfully, I think that your belief system has its merits. Many of them. However, that matters little. Take the task, if you will have it."

Kaiba locked eyes with the king for a long moment before finally taking the gun.

"Do you know why I own this?" Kaiba asked, and it seemed like a general question, not aimed at the king or Amelda, nor even Mokuba. The king obliged him, however, and shook his head. "To protect my brother. I trust in my own skills, my own body, more than enough to protect myself without it. But I trust nothing but the most efficient, the absolute best, option when the subject at hand is Mokuba. My own pride means nothing compared to his welfare."

The king offered the ghost of a smile.

He nodded.

"My pride," Kaiba continued, as he lifted the gun in his hand, "tells me that this man is far too pathetic. I would soil that pride, sully my own reputation, by falling to his level and using this gun to kill him."

The ghost gained a body as a grin spread on the king's face. "Is that so, Kaiba?"

"Oh, it is," Kaiba replied in a dark voice. "It certainly is. I have earned a reputation for being heartless, for being willing to kill. That willingness has always stopped me from needing to prove it. But the truth of the matter is that most of the people to whom I have extended that threat have been so disgusting that I likely would have refused to kill them even given the perfect circumstances."

Kaiba turned to the target. "My pride would refuse to bring about your death."

The target's eyes widened.

Kaiba aimed.

"Mokuba's welfare demands it."

The will of the gods was served. Amelda folded in upon himself as the room was filled with thunder.

"I find it rather unlikely that everyone on this estate would remain asleep through so many gunshots," Seto muttered as he and Yugi stepped into the ground floor parlor. "I suppose you had something to do with that."

Yugi shrugged. "What can I say? It seemed fitting that he should have no audience. After all, what was he looking for, if not attention? And what better way to prove his ultimate failure than by denying it to him?"

Seto frowned. "Hn."

"I'm surprised at you, Kaiba," Yugi said. "Leaving your brother alone after such a frightful night? Surely he wants his Niisama. Who are we to deprive him of that?"

Seto ran his right hand through his hair. "Given the choice, I assure you that I prefer Mokuba's company to yours, Mutou. However, before I can lay this matter to rest, I must know one thing, and that requires further interaction."

"Well, it must be important, then. What is this information you wish from me?"

Yugi stood in the center of the room, arms crossed over his chest. He looked rather gleeful, as if he had been expecting this exchange from the beginning, and was quite pleased that it had finally come to pass. If forced to guess, Seto would have said that the man already knew the question he was going to ask. Yugi Mutou always seemed to know the questions people were going to ask him.

It was a part of his favorite game of all.

Seto sighed, held his hands out, and said, "Why?"

Yugi chuckled. "Aha. Yes, the ultimate inquiry. Such power in a single word. It defines everything, doesn't it? It defines us. It defines our minds, it defines..." He made a gesture as if to encompass everything around him. As if to indicate the world itself.

"Yes..." Seto murmured, scowling.

Yugi cleared his throat. "Very well. I will tell you. I did not lie to our dear...guest. You have earned my favor, Kaiba, and dearest Mokuba has done the same. I doubt you find much pleasure or pride in the fact, but understand, it means a great deal to me, and especially to the gods I serve. For your...performance tonight, I owe you at least an honest answer."

Yugi's grin widened. "Oh, yes. You have done holy work tonight, Seto-chan."

Seto's face gave a violent spasm at the sound o
Clockwork Silver chapter 1 . 11/29/2011
Crossing Yami with season 0 Yami... thats... slightly terrifying...

Heh, he really does have a soft spot for his brother
Kiski chapter 1 . 7/26/2011
Haha, I just watched 'Scarecrow' last night, so I recognized that scene immediately.

And honestly, I don't think it would be that out of the question for Mokuba to be watching something like Supernatural- god knows he and his brother have been through scenarios as hellish or worse than those posed on television. (Having his soul stolen, being kept in a dark cell, being kidnapped by psychopaths, being kept in a dark warehouse, being kidnapped by other psychopaths, watching his brother be and/or being chained to a desk and mercilessly driven to 'study the art of business' (seriously, wtf), living in the orphanage... yeah. Something tells me Mokuba's not the most delicate soul.)

I generally don't enjoy characterizations of Yami no Yuugi/Atemu, but I really enjoyed this one- it's much closer to the manga version, who was always harsher, less controllable. The anime version often reminds me of some sort of... Yoda figure, and I don't bite. The flickers of communication and change on his face at the end, as he tells Kaiba "Wish him a happy birthday. From us" really fascinated me. Too often, the multiple-personality aspect of the show is ham-fisted, so I found that very cool.

I've known about you for a while- from Transiency, when she was still posting- but I never sat down and read anything of yours before today. I must say, her admiration of you is certainly justified. :) You're more than just an excellent writer- you know how to write between the lines, and that's something a lot of professional authors never learn.
Darkmirror chapter 1 . 5/14/2011
Thank you for staying so close to the characters true personalities!:) I liked this story and how you incorporated a little game into the information gathering:) Also loved how you used Supernatural! Awesome show!
akuma-river chapter 1 . 6/14/2010
Very interesting.

Both of the heartless characters have hearts. Yami wondered why Mokuba turned down a party with Yugi and to see Seto walking around interested him.

His conversation gave them both insight into their hearts and what they ultimately care about, the protection and care of their loved ones (Mokuba and Yugi) and that nothing else really matters.

'Swan Song' still has me reeling and the season 6 has me questioning what the heck it will be about.
Chicary chapter 1 . 3/1/2010
Of all the canon portrayals of the pharaoh, this is my favorite. You wrote them expertly and realistically. Thanks for the invigorating read, I'm not surprised that you wrote an original novel.
dragonlady222 chapter 1 . 2/12/2010
Good story. I'm sure Seto will figure it out eventually.
WhiteDragonWarrior chapter 1 . 2/10/2010
This one was awesome to read. i like the true yami around kaiba, they make a good conversational pair *evil grin* i wanna c more like this one.

PHPPSMSS chapter 1 . 2/9/2010
I LUV YOUR VERSION OF YAMI. he is too urgh in the anime. (not to mention that he looks out of shape at times)
phppsmss chapter 1 . 2/9/2010
DarkManedFox chapter 1 . 2/9/2010
nicely done... you portrayed Yami Yugi's mysterious and tactical demeanor beautifully.
Kermita chapter 1 . 2/9/2010
xD This was awesome. I definitely agree with this Yami. Definitely.

The chat between them drew me in. I had to backpedal some of the time, and then forge on to understand them. It's like they have their own little language that they speak in.

I've never seen Supernatural...I probably should. xD

Love this. I notice it isn't marked as complete though, so maybe there willbe another chapter to look forward to...

Hopefully! :D