Reviews for The Slow Thaw
Second time reading. Still felt the roller coaster of emotion. Bittersweet at the end. Thanx for the story author.
Rol
Arandomprincess chapter 21 . 12/10/2019
aww they deserve that happy ending
clevergurlz chapter 21 . 11/21/2019
i think u should make a sequel for this fic.. your story is really amazing... beside i really what to know what lives did draco and hermione lives on if they two are married...
Pjyenn chapter 21 . 11/9/2019
Wow what a story...I can’t stop reading until the last chapter..sooo goood!
sahira2 chapter 21 . 10/31/2019
I've re-read this multiple times now. When I want a dark story but with a happy ending this is the one. The end kinda reminds me of Jane Eyre. Anyway, thanks for this, it's amazing!
raven-maiden3 chapter 21 . 8/23/2019
I enjoy almost every flavor of Dramione fic, but I have a special place in my heart for darker, challenging themes. That’s why I keep coming back to this fic— it staunchly remains one of my faves. Its themes are disturbing, but I don’t think that makes it any less compelling. You can tell a story without condoning what happened in it.

The writing here is deceptively simple. Hermione has flat affect / blunted emotions, but you explain it well through her trauma and survival drive. It’s fascinating to see Draco through Hermione’s eyes— so much of his change of heart / seduction takes place before she can really put a finger on it or disentangle his motives. On my 5th reread or so, I can finally appreciate all the instances where her veneer begins to crack— in ways she explicitly recognizes, and in ways that escape her own notice. It’s so subtly done and I think speaks to your strengths as a writer to show and not tell your readers.

I found this spoiled, arrogant, obsessive, manipulative, mercurial, alternatively cruel / gentle version of Draco to be quite believable within the context of a dark fic. To me it makes sense that he was finally able to worm his way into Hermione’s heart, especially given her trauma and his increasingly unraveling, lovestruck behavior.

What’s incredible is that I can’t help but see this as a love story even though Draco was, and fundamentally remains until the very end, Hermione’s rapist. By that I mean I sympathized with him—I believed that he loved Hermione insofar as he was capable, and she him. It’s a disturbing, deeply unhealthy romance, but it’s there nonetheless. And it’s riveting to watch it unfold.

Fiction allows us a safe place to explore things we’d never condone in real life, and I think you’ve successfully shown how someone can do terrible things while still retaining their humanity. At the end of this story, the formerly cruel and violent Draco is shown as being capable of love and “pseudo-redemption” in that he finally accepts that Hermione won’t be “his” unless she gives herself freely, and he demonstrates selfless concern over the fact that he has nothing to give her anymore. It’s an admittedly anemic form of redemption, but still— it’s there. Given his truly detestable behavior in earlier parts of this fic, I’m genuinely impressed you pulled it off. I think a lot of it has to do with the youthful, impulsive, immature aspects of his characterization. He’s monstrous at times, but a baby nonetheless— desperate, clingy, and needy, and willing to risk his own neck to protect what he sees as his (i.e., Hermione).

My only constructive criticism is that the ending of the story felt a little rushed. Hermione’s decision to find Draco in prison and agree to give herself to him- is the moment that packs the biggest gut punch in this fic. We’re supposed to feel torn and shocked and horrified, while also having some semblance of sympathy and relief over the fact that these two deeply damaged, disturbed souls at least have each other. Personally, I had all of these emotions after really thinking it through and rereading this story, but the briefness of this pivotal moment may have been too glib and flippant for some readers, especially given the heaviness of the material.

That said, I know this was one of your earliest works, and I think you’ve really found your stride in later fics, particularly Wrong Life (and I am really enjoying Pretence, too). And despite the fact that I wish you had drawn the ending out more and leaned more into the fucked-up-ness of Hermione’s decision, there is something about this fic that clings to you and won’t let go. As I said before, it’s one of my faves, and I think it’s very well done overall. Bravo and thank you for sharing your talent with us.
VanishingCabinets chapter 21 . 7/28/2019
Not sure how I made it to the end of this without throwing up. Super stolkholm syndrom. Seeing H weak just doesn't add up. I think she would have died before giving up information to Voldemort and she would have killed herself before allowing rape to be the norm in her life.
Guest chapter 16 . 7/18/2019
Absolutely hate Draco in this fic. But can't help felt pitiful at him. What a twist this story is. Rereading it again. BTW, Thanks author.
Keeks1664 chapter 21 . 7/9/2019
Super interesting!
Cali Dreamweaver chapter 21 . 6/21/2019
I really liked it. The characters were well-written and the plot rolled along at a good pace. I do have to say that the ending seemed rather rushed... I'm happy it was a HEA but IDK, I guess after reading fics that focused on the developing relationship between Dramione while Draco is incarcerated, I had wanted to see at least a bit of that slow thaw - it had already begun, but it felt like it became a flood right at Ch 20?
Onyx Rose Black chapter 21 . 5/4/2019
I have been meaning to read this for a little while now and so when I realized I had nothing to do today, I jumped at the chance to finally read this amazing story. This is truly one of the best Draco/Hermione stories I've ever read. Obsessive Draco stories are my absolute favorite, and this is without a doubt one of the best. Thank you for writing such a thrilling and all around wonderful story.
Guest chapter 21 . 4/14/2019
Kind of upset I wasted my time reading this and feeling just angry enough to write a review about how disgusting the themes and character depictions were... I guess at the end of the day it’s only one person’s vision of a story and who are any of us to judge.
Avalon's Moon chapter 21 . 3/27/2019
even after years i still come back to this story again and again, really one of the best i've found!
Vince7777 chapter 1 . 3/12/2019
I read this whole thing through and I agree with the people here kinda disturbed by this.
For me this does not fit the character of Hermione and her dying in battle with Ron and Harry is more likely, but that aside, to agree to marry him when released in two years? What?
Maybe write a chapter with the ghost of Harry asks her what she thinks she is doing.
Draco is a serial rapist “serial rapistand this story says, well, rape enough and you can win her over. Good lord.