Reviews for Burning Bright
SopranoandBass chapter 1 . 6/15/2011
I looked up Aeneid fanfiction as a fun diversion from my Latin today, and didn't expect to find anything. This was a welcome surprise! Although the idea of Aeneas disobeying the gods and in fact leaving Ascanius to continue on his own is abhorrent to me, you definitely did the story justice and did an excellent job. You are a fantastic writer! Your jumping from time period to time period was very very real and very very good. I was so very impressed by your knowledge of Roman history as well! Excellent job! Excellent Job!
Tarja the wind witch chapter 1 . 4/17/2011
You made my day twice over or better, thrice over!

First by letting Aeneas and Dido marry and be happy, then by having Turnus survive ( he really didn't deserve dying) and finally by having Chartage win over Rome.

How I whised things went like this, back in high school when I had to study the Aeneid for a whole year...

(yes, we Italians get it as bad as it comes...)
bookwyrm713 chapter 1 . 12/9/2010
Thanks! Having translated parts of the Aeneid from Latin in school a couple of years ago, it was fun to read an answer to the question I'd also thought about: What if Aeneas had stayed in Carthage? Dido's death is the real climax of the book, after all; most of Aeneas' Italian adventures revolve around the war that breaks out between him and the poor Latin tribes. One slight critique-I was a bit confused by the distinction you drew between "Destiny" and "Fate" until reading the footnotes
Sabra chapter 1 . 11/12/2010
Wow - I've just read the Aeneid, and I was so happy to find a fanfic for it! I think you did really well - Virgil doesn't really go into much detail about thought processes, and this seems EXACTLY right. I'm fascinated by this scene, although I also find Dido's reaction interesting.

I especially liked how you brought Aeneas' mother into the story. I find that particularly striking, considering that his mother is Venus, and shouldn't she, of all the gods and goddesses, be able to do something to help?

I'm also grateful for your introduction of Anna. I like her - even more in your fic than in the original story, maybe because in this, she's more developed. I understand what she's thinking, and I can practically hear her voice. Aeneas' interaction with her is really good, too.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is, thank you for writing this, good job, and I hope I'll get a chance to read some of your other work.

Sabra
Boop Oop Be Doop chapter 1 . 4/26/2010
Fascinating, although I can just picture my Roman Lit prof dying of apoplexy... A theme worthy of Serious Noveldom, but with a suitably light touch-you don't beat the reader over the head with The Point. Neat treatment of Fate et al.
Merely Corroborative Detail chapter 1 . 2/28/2010
Madam... that was excellent!

And if I may, I thought a strong point was that nothing really changed in world history; it's very much in keeping with the whole idea. I dislike Alternate History works that don't settle all the ripples in the end, and leave you with a sense that some of the stuff from "History of the World: Part II" might actually happen.

And, by Jove, we don't want Carthaginians in Space!
Foxy Modern chapter 1 . 2/10/2010
I think it's Fate that this was on the "Just In" page when I was perusing.

Overall? Not bad! Better than I was expecting, actually. I'm an AP Latin student at the moment, just about done with the original Latin text of Book IV, and I love the Aeneid more than life itself, so I'm very much a purist; every time I try to read an "alternate account" of the events of Troy, I cringe a little. But this wasn't too bad. Some of the dialogue seemed a little informal at times, but I like the sort-of-happy ending for poor Dido... She got those gifts of Venus after all, it seems!