Reviews for Airplanes, Spandules and Widgets, Oh, My!
Rye-bread chapter 3 . 1/14/2011
Your reader googled spandules, fifinellas, etc. Most fascinating. There’s an entire body of literature from R.A.F. journals, etc. cataloguing gremlins at length. This was serious lore among WW2 aviators and mechanics, like mermaids, Triton, and such among mariners. And while we might scoff at them from our armchairs and warm comfy dwellings…or while riding a big modern jet airliner, I’m sure it’s a whole different ball game if you’re out in wartime or inclement weather in one of these little vintage things that incorporate technology that’s about a century old. I begin to see the appeal this subject had on you.

These fifinellas are cute little things. Sort of like a cross between Gadget from Rescue Rangers, Minnie Mouse, and Pearl Pureheart, Mighty Mouse’s girlfriend.

“Movies of the 1930s about flying, pirates or sailing ships," OMG, would I wouldn’t give to sit him down…or you…and chew the fat. Errol Flynn. Clark Gable.

Would you be willing to stretch the parameters to include Twelve O’clock High or Memphis Belle? Or Charles Laughton’s Captain Kidd? Or Burt Lancaster’s Crimson Pirate? Is Jack Sparrow too cinematically recent for you?

I’ve even been watching Nightmare at 20,000 feet, the Twilight Zone episode

My son’s 2nd grade teacher turned him on to Roald Dahl. And he turned me on to him. What perverse delight. Matilda. The Big Friendly Giant.

I once read a movie critic’s opinion of Dahl. He’s like the friend your parents were afraid would get you into trouble for doing pranks; not felonies, but more like Tom Sawyer / Huck Finn mischief. Or for that matter, Tweeb Possible category of mischief.
Rye-bread chapter 2 . 12/30/2010

I’ve even been watching Nightmare at 20,000 feet, the Twilight Zone episode

Rye-bread chapter 1 . 12/29/2010
What would be excellent is a visual gallery accompanying your story; or at least a series of links (which FF-dot-net doesn’t allow). I googled the DC-3 and the Staggerwing. Alas. The reader will just have to click and point. Or (*wink*) if you’re enterprising enough, assemble a page and post it at dA. I know. Readers are full of suggestions that make more work for the author.

I know philosophy better than I do aviation, but all guys are mesmerized by shiny flying things and instrument panels clustered with needles, gauges, buttons ,and switches. Gals, too.
Mahler Avatar chapter 8 . 4/23/2010
Nice ending to a well-crafted story. This hit all the right buttons for me, and all the historical references throughout gave it a truly unique flavor, all wrapped up in a wonderfully written KP tale. Bravo!

Mahler Avatar chapter 7 . 4/23/2010
Excellent! The perp captured and scared out of his gourd by Rufus and friends. Again, your creative dialogue for Rufus rings true all the way. Nice to have him take center stage in a clever story like this. Now on to the mystery of that box...

Mahler Avatar chapter 5 . 4/21/2010
Very nice! More charcaters for the inevitable plot complications. Nice mystery without too much confusion, and as usual, your wonderful historical references to give the story a bonafide feel. Loved the note on the air race, and I have to agree with Kim: Ron would have a distinct advantage! Hmm. A bit of foreshadowing perhaps?

unwrittenaria chapter 8 . 4/20/2010
Good ending, and the way everything was resolved tied up the series nicely. Thanks for a pleasurable read (mystery usually isn't my thing).

If anything it felt a bit short, but it works. Good luck with whatever you're doing next.
unwrittenaria chapter 6 . 4/20/2010
Nice. I'm jealous, you've got a way of making things move at a quick clip and everyone moves quickly.

Also favorite moment in the last two chapters was Wade's little line. Showed how comfortable he was with the team - that he could have a short joke with Kim.

Good plan, although I do suspect that some of the pilots will keep a more careful eye out for something should accusations ever start (they won't expect gremlins but... something. Kim and Ron's little friends better lie extra low for the next while.)
unwrittenaria chapter 4 . 4/20/2010
Ah so the real plot is revealed. Like the gremlins, they're fun characters and their interactions and dialogue are a lot of fun to read (since they're rather different to the normal speech patterns).

Glad to see they aren't evil or the real cause behind it. That would have been too obvious I think.

Although now that you've opened up this kind of mission I'd like to see you take on some other "mythical/rumored" creatures. Perhaps not dwarves, but something similar to this, Team Possible as human ambassadors to secret civilizations/species? You certainly seem capable of pulling it off from what I've seen here.
unwrittenaria chapter 2 . 4/17/2010
Finally got a moment to return my promise. Now where to begin...

First of all AMG! reference in the title? grins* (if not my bad but yah enjoyed that little nod.)

Not the typical kind of mission we usually see for the team which is always nice. Props to doing your research and it shows. While it was a little over my head it grounded the fic in reality and that's always a plus for semi serious (mystery/adventure tagged) stories.

Kim and Ron have some pretty good dialogue, the OC's you've created have the right amount of personality although their names are kinda hard to remember because they're rather unusual. (Still that's not entirely a bad thing.)

And yes! Rufus takes center stage. Makes sense that he'd be the first to figure anything out if they are indeed facing against gremlins.

Wade as always proves himself to be perhaps the most important part of the team (seriously where would they be without him?)
CajunBear73 chapter 8 . 4/10/2010
Nice ending to this little tale. The prize sought after carried a different value after all. Won't matter to Jameson anyway, he's headed to a time in the hoosegow or funny farm...

The folks there close out their adventure with Kim and Ron in their own style and leave them all with a bit of whacky nostalgia as the curtain goes down.

Gomro Morskopp chapter 1 . 4/10/2010
Nice! Aircraft are one of my hobbies...Don't know for Frank Gifford (what's he doing there? He's a sportscaster!) but the rest of that gang are named well...maybe there's some other Frank Gifford that I'm unfamiliar with. Frank G. Focke-wulf or some such guy. I hope this gremlin is more of the Warner Bros. type than the infamous Twilight Zone variety, too, but regardless I'll definitely be sticking around for this tale!
CajunBear73 chapter 7 . 3/29/2010
Neat little trap-trap with Rufus and all their new friends. So it was someone who always seemed to tip his hand somehow.

Now the reason has been learned, I wonder what was in that chest found in the runway path.

But on with the show.

CajunBear73 chapter 6 . 3/21/2010
All the friendlies identified and plans made. Still wondering of method and reason, besides who, here.

Well, we may be about to find out some or all the answers.

screaming phoenix chapter 6 . 3/21/2010
I never thought of gremlins in the modern age. But I have found out a lot of the hierarchy of gremlins.