Reviews for Death is Part of the Process
OwMyFace chapter 86 . 3/13
The writing here is just gorgeous. The whole scene has a kind of dreamlike quality - "it was that sort of night, where everything goes right". This extends even to the prose. If I'm not mistaken, you've slipped into a slightly more formal, old-fashioned style than usual. I was initially a little confused by this, and it wasn't until right at the end that I got it - this whole scene actually kind of is a dream. It's too neat and good to really happen, and the tone of the prose reflects this. It's kind of like a fairy tale or something.
The way you delivered the line that changes it all ("And when they came to Checkpoint Beta...") is just so goshdarn brilliant. A real gut-punch for the reader. I didn't see it coming, but once I recovered from the shock of reading it I realised I was silly not to have. The whole scene had been leading up to it, in a way. What a read!
OwMyFace chapter 85 . 3/13
Another superb chapter. I'm sorry I didn't review it sooner.
I totally approve of your decision to keep the fight with Zircionade relatively short; although it's kind of the climax of BC, (at least, that's my understanding) there's not really anything personal at stake for the Turks, and a drawn out description of the action probably wouldn't have been very interesting.
The snow linking all the different scene's together is a really amazing storytelling device. It reminds us of where all the characters are at, while at the same time linking everything together. It also suggests a bunch of arresting visual images, and it's a great way to weave BC/this fic into the wider compilation. As I read this section it hit me that all these characters would be dead if not for the Turks, which is a nice subtle way of rendering the significance of what they've done.
If I may be so bold, I can't help feeling the next section might have benefited from being tied more closely to Aviva's viewpoint; it's kind of hard to picture the individual Turks when they're described from the omniscient perspective you've employed here. But that might just be a personal thing - don't take me too seriously.
This scene, though, is a terrific piece of work. It shows us how much has changed since the start of the story; Tseng coordinating everyone and being obeyed instantly, while Veld lies helpless in the truck. It's an exhibit of just how much Tseng deserves the title of Commander.
I particularly like Elfe; the fact that even after everything she still holds to the same principles that informed her activity within Avalanche speaks volumes about her character.
She contrasts nicely with Rufus, who just wants to smooth everything over, ensure everyone - right down to Tys' biker friends - get their happy ending. His fight with Elfe kind of problematises the happy ending though, which foreshadows the next chapter nicely.
The Veld/Verdot name switch is a very cool idea, as is the thing with the dead earth - very chilling.
Thanks so much for creating this!
GreyRemnant chapter 48 . 3/11
Loving this story so much!

Off to read some more... Hoping some new chapters will start showing up before I get to the end cause I don't want it to stop!
TrinityAyame chapter 86 . 3/10
Can I tell you how much I loved this chapter. I just had a marathon session, reading this story and I absolutely love it. This chapter has to be my favorite. It's lyrical and beautiful and finally a respite from everything that's been happening. Can't wait for the next chapter.
redcherryamber chapter 86 . 3/2
This whole chapter feels like a wonderful respite from everything Rufus and Tseng have been through, and from Midgar and the badlands. It’s lovely to be reminded at this point how beautiful the rest of the planet is – how much there is to treasure and to save.

Rufus behind Tseng on the bike ‘idly stroking his fingertips up and down Tseng’s inner thighs’… fans self frantically! I’m surprised Tseng didn’t crash…

I love the whole idea of the change in their sexual dynamic, and the way it shows how their experiences have changed them both, as well as them as a couple. Rufus ‘not prepared to go on being the junior partner any longer’, and Tseng accepting that by ‘quite deliberately’ not telling him to stop brings them to a point of equality which is a perfect balance. I wonder whether this is the moment of equilibrium and if that will swing the other way in the future, or whether things are settled now? I do think that the trust they have found in each other will endure.

Rufus’ vulnerability after sex is fascinating, and psychologically astute. I suppose part of growing up is learning that such moments can only ever exist in the moment – valuing them for what they are, and accepting the ‘dry and insipid’ parts of life as well: not mourning those heightened moments as gone, but being happy that they existed. The Rufus of AC has reconciled himself to that, perhaps, but I’m glad that your Rufus hasn’t. I love the passion of his youth.

“Reno’s newfound talent for frogging” – lol! When it’s Reno it sounds like something very deviant!

(There’s a ‘Wolf Hall’ he, in “He gave the suggestion some thought”. I assume that’s Rufus because of the paragraph break, but I think it flows better with the name.)

I like the double meaning too, Rufus. The bunker was where Rufus did most of his growing up. He’s outrage at its destruction feels very genuine.

It makes me very happy that Tseng and Rufus have the discussion about manipulation, and the fact that Rufus believed Tseng’s story about his father ordering their relationship until Reno put him right. I’m sure Rufus can remember every word Reno said, but it’s good that it no longer matters. Rufus’ metaphor of the vase is lovely. The whole conversation framed as a kind of tender business negotiation is just perfect. I’m very glad Tseng agreed to Rufus’ terms – but then Rufus always was a skilled negotiator…

The colours returning to the world is a beautiful paragraph. I can see it so vividly – those shades of red, purple, pink, gold, and green – ‘the hint of ginger in Rufus’s blond hair’. Lovely writing.

What ought, perhaps, in a more conventional love story, feel intrusive – Tseng’s thoughts of Aerith – seem entirely appropriate here. There is a wonderful sense of peaceful acceptance – a feeling of oneness with the planet and the universe – in this chapter. It fits beautifully with the spirit of the game. I love Rufus’s idea of a happiness materia.

I love Rufus’ plans for the future – I’d like to see a story about his time in the military, and the idea that he’d invest in sustainable energy seems entirely right.

The ending of this chapter is so sad – Tseng’s gift to Rufus – not spoiling their perfect day, keeping the knowledge from Rufus so that he can’t anticipate the future correctly. But it doesn’t spoil the moment they had together. As Tseng says ‘Whatever happens next, we will have had this’. I’ve always found that thought comforting. I loved this chapter.
redcherryamber chapter 85 . 3/2
“Nothing remained to do but take the summons down” – Oh, that’s okay then! I love the physical details you include here – the increasing cold as the summons absorbs energy.

Villain though she is, I was very happy to see that little glimpse of Scarlet. Her impatient reaction is great – I like the idea of a few snowflakes being almost the last straw for her! All the reactions are perfect here. The sentence for President Shinra contains so much in such a small space – all his superstitious irrationality and yet his genuine love for Rufus. Reno’s total disillusion is very sad.

Aviva’s sympathy for Elfe is lovely. One of the things I admire most about this story is your ability to show almost everyone as “just a normal person, after all”. Elfe’s fury at Rufus – her need to blame him for Shears’ death (and everything else) emphasises her humanity perfectly, which makes her so much more real and empathetic than she seems in the game.

(In the part where Tys and Hunter go off on the chocobos, I would change ‘She leapt expertly onto the back of the nearest bird’ to ‘Hunter leapt’ to avoid “Wolf Hall” syndrome!)

That little touch – that subtle moment of perfect understanding between Rufus and Tseng – is just beautiful, and I lol-ed at Elena’s flustered speech. All these moments when you reach forward to possible future relationship dynamics and the on-going lives of the characters are brilliant.

Veld telling it like it is had me mentally cheering. Just accept thanks for once, Tseng!

“It is a very big shop, and it does take rather a lot of keeping” – wonderful line. Everything about Rufus is wonderful in this chapter – his need to touch Tseng, his outrage at being called an accountant, his ‘rash of scruples’ that will ‘soon pass’.

The discussion of Veld’s real name, and the exchange between Rufus and Tseng after it, is one of my favourite passages of the entire story. It has that perfect combination of moving emotional truth and gentle humour that I love so much in your writing.

“You say that, because you love me.”
“No,” said Rufus, “I love you because it’s true.” That exchange shows exactly how far these two have come together – how much Rufus has matured, and what formidable men they have both become.

“In moments like these, Tseng felt liberated from doubt.” Perfect line. The way the balance swings between them here is fascinating – Tseng’s experience, Rufus’ intuition, Tseng’s insistence on the truth about his actions, Rufus’ new-found ability to let some things stand, the embrace that’s equally a wrestling hold, Tseng’s physical strength, Rufus’ manipulative skill turned at last to yielding… I can’t tell you how much I loved this whole exchange.

And then the dead earth at then end and the chilling weight of everything that it implies for the future… Rufus’ yearning for grass and trees and sunrise is so powerful – contains so much pure longing – that I caught my breath. Wonderful, wonderful writing.
redcherryamber chapter 84 . 3/2
Ah my heart! Reno! Rude’s quiet observation saves the day: “I think it was Rufus Shinra”. This little scene is perfection – the cold earth; Reno’s entirely emotional reactions; Rude’s rational ones. Lovely.

That moment between Rufus and Tseng – ‘skin speaking to skin’ – is beautiful – Tseng recognising Rufus on an unconscious, physical level. His response to Rufus’ anticipation of praise is a great moment! It needed to happen, but I still feel a bit sorry for Rufus here – he was so very pleased with the success of his plan!

It’s very interesting that Tseng still thinks in terms of being rewarded for right choices, while Rufus has moved beyond that. A lot of food for thought in that idea. Their characters are so beautifully complex in your story, and always completely believable.

“He had truly believed he would not live to see Rufus again” – and never thought he deserved to? I love that moment of understanding, and then of Tseng gathering himself; regaining his control.

Rufus’ happy explanation of his plan and its success is lovely; I’m glad he still has that boyish exuberance. I can practically see his eyes glowing!

That moment of stillness when Elfe and Tseng are both touching Vled, and it’s clear that he needs them both equally, feels wonderfully right. A lot of Tseng’s demons have been exorcised today. Elena’s ‘you told me Tseng was old’, and Rufus and Veld’s reactions to it, are brilliant. This chapter may be short, but it’s perfect.
redcherryamber chapter 83 . 3/2
Yay chocobos! I love the idea of chocobo hoods, and the little detail of Tseng recognizing the Turks’ photomanip in the guard’s magazine is a brilliant touch. The whole escape from Midgar is a rush of breathless action, and having Reno and Veld share a chocobo, followed by all three Turks having to support Veld as they approach the truck, is a great way of ratcheting up the emotion in view of what’s about to happen.

Tseng’s feelings at Veld’s reunion with Felicia are heartbreaking. “Anyone could see that she’s his child”…

The whole build up to Tseng’s key scene is thrillingly tense – Veld’s frustrating and entirely human focus on his daughter, Tseng’s anxiety and anger, the sense of time running out. Reno’s “We were so fucking close” echoed my feelings, even though I know what happens!

I love all the hints to the characters’ real identities when the second truck arrives: the captain who ‘carried himself with an air of authority’, and the ‘under-sized’ regular troopers. That observation ‘the Shinra Army liked to take them young. As had Commander Veld’ really brought me up short. It’s perfectly placed to remind us of both how young many of them still are, on both sides, and also how far they’ve come over the course of the story. I have flashbacks to young Reno and Cissnei finding the cat right back at the beginning – so very poignant to be reminded of it here.

‘Tseng’s thoughts leapt to Rufus, and hope rose with them… He took it, and read it, and hope died.’ So cruel! The decision to keep Tseng ignorant of the plan is genius. I’d always assumed in BC that he was in on it, and that made him coolly controlled throughout, but this is so much better, dramatically and emotionally. Tseng’s choice here – and his refusal even to discuss it with the others – is the perfect culmination of all the decisions, feelings and choices we’ve seen him make throughout this wonderful story.

Reno’s total confidence in Tseng – his complete inability to see Tseng’s quiet, hopeless, “I must do it… That’s what’s written here” as anything other than irony - and Tseng’s “You will not die” – all of Tseng’s feelings about Felicia/Elfe… this is amazing writing.

I’ve read this chapter several times now, and I just can’t make up my mind about my feelings about the switch to the present tense here. I understand why you’ve done it; this moment is the climax of the whole story, and using the present tense does create a very cinematic feeling of slow motion which is really powerful. I very much like that aspect of it. It also gives an immediacy to Tseng’s thoughts and feelings that takes us inside his head more intimately than past tense narration can. There’s just something jarring about the switch that, as well as giving an effectively abrupt change in ‘camera’ angle, has the effect of interrupting the flow of reading that I find detracts from the impact of what follows. Perhaps it’s just my lit crit side taking over and focussing too much on techniques, but I did find myself wondering about the effects of past versus present tense rather than concentrating on the story at the very time when I should have been concentrating most. Now I’ve read the chapter again (and again!) that feeling is lessened, and I’m coming to appreciate the very positive effects of the switch, but I’m still not completely sure. I think that the narrative is powerful enough not to need this kind of heightening of focus, but that’s not to say I think it would be better without it. I’d be very interested to read a past tense version, if you have one, for comparison. Perhaps it’s the placing of the switch that gave me this feeling? I like the opposition between Elfe and Tseng – ‘She gathers her strength’ – ‘He will make this quick’ – that’s an effective piece of positioning, so I wouldn’t want to she ‘She’ become Elfe, especially because of the significance of her being ‘both her names’ as you’ve already highlighted. Perhaps the ‘solution’, if one is needed, is as simple as inserting an extra line break between the past and present tense sections? That might provide a hint to the reader that a change is coming, which would lessen that jarring I felt. Sorry I can’t give more definite advice – I’m honestly torn. The slow motion effect of the present tense really does work brilliantly.

As for the content of that section – wow. The echo of Reno’s ‘stop’ in Tseng’s head, and in his heart, is a perfect moment. Veld’s ‘it’s all right’ is just heartbreaking.

“Rude’s suffering, left to the imagination, is in some ways worse.” Yes. This is great writing: wonderful character observation. Rude, the quiet one, having to be strong to save Reno from himself, feeling everything at least as intensely, but too disciplined to show it – Rude is a hero. Veld’s steady resolve is perfect, as is that soft “Oh!” from ‘the boy trooper’, and the fact that Veld’s final ‘do it now’ needs no exclamation mark.

I love the fact that we don’t see or hear the shot because Tseng doesn’t remember it – that’s psychologically fascinating and feels very realistic. Tseng’s attempted suicide is also perfectly placed – at this point it feels utterly like his only option, and the inevitable outcome of the fate he’s always believed in. The way you let us imagine Rufus’ panic at this moment is wonderful, too. All of this section is just masterfully written.

I felt so exhausted after the first half of the chapter, I was expecting not to be able to concentrate on the second half, especially because the action parts of games don’t tend to hold my attention anyway, but the way you focus on the Turks and their relationships is so compelling I was drawn back in immediately. Cissnei is great here – I loved ‘Fuhito was nothing to be scared of, just a scrawny nerd with a compensatory mako gun’ – and I also loved her new-found restraint in not saying it aloud. Tys and Hunter are wonderful, as is Cissnei’s response to their kiss and that lovely memory of mocking romantic movies with Reno, and her envy, and Hunter’s ‘happiness and panic’ at Tys’ proposal. The whole build up to the battle is brilliantly done.

Having Cissnei alone in the mist works so well, showing her perceived isolation from the ‘new’ Turks, and the way Aviva (I always cheer for Aviva when she appears) refuses to let her be alone. “Was she just trying to be a good Turk?” Always. And she is a good human being, too. So’s Cissnei, if only she could believe it! That just makes her slap in the face ‘Surely you, of all people, understand about puppy love’ all the more painful for everyone, the reader included.

The teamwork needed to defeat the humbaba, and Shears’ rescue, was absolutely gripping. I love the fact that Cissnei saves Aviva’s life, and that we have that moment with lovely Skeeter looking after her. Even in such peril, seeing all the Turks working together is so heart-warming!

You make Fuhito’s transformation genuinely terrifying, which is quite a feat given that in the game he just looked a bit daft! The idea of his bones becoming his cage is wonderfully creepy – your descriptions here are fantastic in both senses, which really succeeds in emphasising the horror of Fuhito’s fanaticism. The moment that Cissnei feels Shears’ humanity – ‘she would have done anything to save him’ – is beautiful. This whole chapter is marvellously written – thank you.
redcherryamber chapter 82 . 3/2
The contrast between the functional design of the rest of the building and the old-fashioned opulence of the President’s apartments is a telling one. The addition of the portrait of Rufus’ mother is a great touch – her absence is so rarely mentioned anywhere in canon, but it must have had a big part in the development of Rufus’ personality.

Rufus’ feelings are interesting here – his assumption of ‘amiable blandness’ and his noting of his father’s weaknesses, his use of the word ‘Dad’, his cryptic comment about homecomings. He’s furthering his own agenda, of course, and his overriding aim is to save Tseng and the other Turks, but there seems to be some tension there, beneath the workings of his plan. When his father starts listening and becomes the ‘canny businessman’ again, Rufus’ relief suggests that, at some deep level, he still can’t deal with the fact of his father’s genuine feelings for him.

But then the callousness of President Shinra putting all the Turks’ lives in the balance for a wager is breathtaking, and making Tseng do it… I’m glad you keep reminding us that, as well as being a father who really loves his son, the president is a man capable of great evil, who sees no value in the loyalty he’s been given, and that Rufus had just laid out for him! Your portrayal of these hugely complex characters is a key element of what makes this story such a wonderful read.

I love the whole paragraph about Tys and his old ‘Devil Ride’ buddies. All the Turks’ back stories are wonderful.

It was good to be back in Aviva’s head for a time; I’ve missed her. Her idea of the world becoming ‘loveless’ is so very bleak – more than the emptiness or barrenness, the lack of human love is the key to why Fuhito has to be stopped. “Death could not be the answer to death”. Yes. This is why I love Aviva. She’ll keep going, because the alternative is Fuhito’s future: no future at all.

Cissnei is the very best person to deal with Fuhito. I almost cheered aloud when she told him the summon was “like a really big Dorky Face”. “Big wet fart of a failed summons” make me laugh. Then, when the desperation of her situation became apparent as every plan she made failed, I was completely absorbed in the action again. I love the description of the flash “so intense that she could see the outline of her fingers through the skin of her eyelids”. From part of the game that I found a bit silly and difficult to follow, you’ve managed to create a convincing and exciting episode that really had me gripped. The procession of the monsters converging on the summons was wonderful – so many memories of the original game!

The meeting between Cissnei and Aviva was lovely – Aviva coming to an understanding of Cissnei’s strengths, and that she as much a Turk as Aviva is. Aviva’s selflessness reaches new heights here. I believe in her resolution to protect Cissnei for Reno’s sake absolutely, but I’m sure she’ll feel more complex emotions when they’re actually reunited, whatever happens. One of the things I’m most looking forward to is finding out how you’re going to end the Reno/Cissnei/Aviva triangle. It’s a testament to the quality of your plotting and characterisation that I don’t know what you’re going to do, or even what I want to happen! I love all three of them.

(Aviva’s ‘probably definitely’ really made me smile. She’s still so young, despite all she’s been through!)

Shears is so much in love with Elfe – I don’t think I can bear what’s going to happen…
redcherryamber chapter 81 . 3/2
Cissnei’s assessment of the whole situation at the start of this chapter is a great way of recapping while moving the story on at the same time. The reference to Natalya and Charlie is very poignant, and I really like the way she can’t help but admire Rufus’ handling of the situation while remaining wary of him. Her belief that the summons won’t destroy the whole planet is also very level-headed, although she could be wrong about this one…

The realisation that ‘her’ has Shinra become an organization whose separate branches can’t trust one another or work together is very hard-hitting.

“Villains were never as big as their reputations” – brilliant line. The action here is thoroughly gripping – even though I know what happens, I was still feeling the tension when Cissnei realises she shouldn’t have thrown the shuriken, and when she has to make all the decisions about whether to keep trying to kill Fuhito, or to kill Elfe, on her own, with no backup in view. Her choice to kill Elfe seems the only moral one in balance with the lives at risk, but it takes a true Turk to do it with Cissnei’s level of simple resolution.

That Cissnei’s ‘dying’ wish is to tell Reno she’s sorry makes me love her even more. Your description of her struggling to live in the Raven’s grip is utterly compelling.

“He spoke as if he were standing at a lecture podium, simultaneously bored and irritated by the dimwittedness of his students.” That line sums up Fuhito’s apparent attitude throughout BC perfectly. Cissnei’s view of him as a ‘blowhard’ is wonderfully deflating!

Your description of the restlessness caused by the combined materia - Cissnei’s linking it with her memories of sexual anticipation – works brilliantly. You make the summoning very menacing and very beautiful at the same time. Action sequences in films and games don’t usually hold my attention for long, but this is really exciting writing. Your Fuhito is convincingly fanatical – truly frightening.
Cherry chapter 80 . 3/2
“In which Rufus is helpful” – lol. Even when Rufus isn’t being helpful, I can’t help but love him though. “Uncle Martin” makes me smile every time. Rufus’ control is admirable as he waits for Heidegger to speak first. This is taking me right to his interview with Cloud at Healen in ACC.

“Tseng. Rude. Reno. The infernal trio.” I will always think of them as this from now on.

Heidegger as a beached whale here works in so many ways. I love “the sob of a beached whale”. The loneliness of that sound gives this scene a touching and necessary empathy a lesser writer wouldn’t have included. I actually do feel a bit sorry for Heidegger’s position in the face of Rufus’ tactical brilliance.

“Tseng had said Heidegger yearned to be appreciated. Could that really be all there was to it?” This is very interesting coming from Rufus, who has spent most of his life yearning to be noticed by his father.

Rufus’ mind working is a wonderful thing to witness. This image: “his story had more holes in it than the bulls-eye after Tseng had been at target practice” – is a lovely example of how apparently effortlessly you put us into Rufus’ mind in this passage. Tseng is never far from Rufus’ thoughts, even, or perhaps especially, when the situation is critical.

I like the detail that Heidegger’s anger about Scarlet ‘murdering my soldiers’ is what makes him really angry – even more so than her disparaging treatment of himself. Somewhere in there Heidegger really does care about his men – perhaps that’s the one thing about him Rufus can respect.

Even in the middle of all this pivotal plotting, you manage to put in the world-building touches that I’ve always loved in this story. The ‘priceless, gold-rimmed Akisirisou porcelain cups’ are a great touch, and I like the focus it gives Rufus’ surprised gaze. The Turk reunion is such a heart-warming moment. It’s so good to see Knox and Rosalind meeting again, and their relief at seeing each other alive.

Ah – I love the contrast between Tseng wishing that Veld would rest against his shoulder, and Reno doing it so naturally with Rude.
Tseng is so very hard on himself, as always. Will he ever learn to forgive himself? His self-analysis during this moment of calm is fascinating. Coming to the conclusion that his head must inevitably be the one to roll, and wanting to face that in his suit, as Chief Turk, is exactly what he would do. He condemns himself so thoroughly my heart aches for him.

I’m glad you gave us that more light-hearted episode of the scene in Rufus’ apartment from Cissnei’s point of view. I loved “perhaps he was used to schoolgirls swooning at the sight of him”, and “a PR Department’s wet dream”! Using Cissnei here is also a great device for a perspective on how much Rufus has changed, while still allowing that bit of doubt about his real motives – are the other Turks too close to him to see him clearly now? – to remain.

Elena and Rosalind’s sibling banter is so much fun. I love Elena’s snooping around Rufus’ rooms!

Cissnei’s conversation with Elena, and her quick reassessment of her, is lovely. Cissnei has been through so much growing up that she can give Elena a lot of good advice. I love the idea that Elena makes Cissnei rein in her cynicism.

Rufus is even hotter in real life than he is in his photos? Whoa – how hot can one man be?

Cissnei’s regret about Reno is beautifully expressed. I can’t wait to see what happens when they finally meet again. I think this is the most open Ciss has been about her romantic feelings. I also love her spark of defiance at the end, even though she knows that Rufus is right. Over the course of this story you’ve done what I never thought anyone would – you’ve really made me like Cissnei. I’m rooting for her now.
Hi there! Longtime fan of this fic (just too lazy to login right now haha). After many years on I've actually moved onto to reading at archiveofourown and I think it would be great if you posted this on there! The community over there is fantastic, so I'm sure this will be well-received :)
Clement Rage chapter 86 . 2/8
So, here we are again...

Yeah, I like what you did with the anticlimactic final battle, the meat of the obstacles are past anyway, so there was no point in dwelling on it any further.

"Elena's lower lip protruded mutinously." Awww.

I feel for Felicia. Of all the sacrifices that could have been made, Shears is the one that falls. And Rufus chooses then to be snarky, and they immediately start considering murdering her as soon as they're out of earshot. She really can't catch a break.

I have mixed feelings about forgetting Veld. Millstone, maybe, but it was an important part of Tseng's life, it doesn't stop mattering now that he has an ongoing love interest.

Chapter 86:

Not much to say about this, it's, well, a romantic interlude. No criticisms, but not much to say either. Your prose gets a bit lyrical to suit the tone, lots of nature images and so forth, but I basically have no comment. Hope that's not coming across as bigotry, I'm not really the target audience for dramatic romantic roadtrips in the countryside. It ends with the ending we knew was coming, but there wasn't anything you could do about that, that's not a criticism, it's one of the things you have to get used to in fanfic. So, that's all for now, see you next chapter
Clement Rage chapter 84 . 2/8
A bit late to the punch, but anyway.

Chapter 83:

My previous criticisms re balance of power stand, but I'll leave it at that. A lot of it is canon anyway.

"You can't kill Felicia and leave me alive. I won't go through that again."
Ouch. Felt that.

Hmm. Interesting. I can't see how this could be staged without Tseng's cooperation, but you wrote it well, I'm just detached because I know what happens.

You know, I think Hunter/Tys is my favourite of your romances. While everyone else is angsting about their inappropriate crushes, they're just quietly getting on with things in the background (or, in this case, foreground) Maybe I just have more attachment to Shotgun because she's in the Youtube walkthroughs, I dunno.

"If you wanted to go join them, nobody would blame you". Um, yes, I think they would. Impending apocalypse, remember, Veev? This is really not the time for this conversation. (Humbaba charges) See?

And then Shears completely shows them up in about thirty seconds, haha. Gravity is a great choice for a heavy hitter monster like that. He grows on me more with every appearance. And then he proves it with 'Live' as his final message to Elfe.

Fuhito's manner of death was creative. Appropriate. Ironic that his weapon of choice is a Mako gun, meant to mention that before, but never got around to it. Anyway, he's dealt with now, on to the next chapter, sorry for rambling.

Chapter 84: Ah, so that's how they managed it. Rufus adds 'Master of Disguise' to his many skills. Really impressive how it all came together though, it's very hard to make BC's ending plausible, but you managed it.
And then that fun little Elena segment at the end with the light, heheh.

Okay, onward.
CameoAmalthea chapter 86 . 2/3
So good. I'll write a proper review at some point. I promise.

For now I just want to thank you. I needed this tonight. It was beautiful. (See you do write fluff, you just mix it with tragedy)