Reviews for Death is Part of the Process
k chapter 86 . 2/14
it has been some time since i've read any ff7 fanfic, and i am sure there is plenty of great new content floating around, but i still can't help it - i keep coming back to this. i'm no writer, hardly an experienced reader, but this is one of the most masterful pieces i have ever read. i fell in love with every character more than i thought i would or could, because of this. they are flawed and fallible and REAL. my heart sunk and soared, and even on the re-reads i felt it anew. i couldn't begin to thank you enough for your time or congratulate you on your dedication, but i can say that i am proud to have been able to share in reading this. really and truly: well done.
Keveh Kins chapter 39 . 8/22/2016
I'm quietly dreading the chapter I know is coming with Zack's death, and what toll that will take on Tseng. Speaking of whom, kudos for yet again refusing to shy away from that darker, nastier side of him. Utter dickish behaviour to Aerith. That's weird praise, but ya get the gist.

I quite like how you handle the tension of the revelation between Tseng and Rufus. You cut away from it to events happening elsewhere but each event is so fleeting that it keeps the tempo of Tseng and Rufus' lust but at the same time gives the reader a reprieve from its intensity. I also like how you handle the sex itself, cutting in right at the climax, but leaving lots to the imagination. Enough detail to satisfy and you avoid jarring the story to a halt for the sake of a sex scene.

Very nice touch switching to the present tense for the intersecting scenes too.

I'm trying to find things to offer criticism about, but most of it is just trivial housekeeping like occasional typos or a missed punctuation mark. But overall your writing is just so enjoyable to read that it overcomes any gripes one would have. You have a great command of voice in your writing, makes it very personable, I think. Even the darker moments have a weird warmth to them.
Keveh Kins chapter 26 . 8/14/2016
Beautifully written.

Haven't read a retelling of the Nibelheim incident that captures the grimness of the entire incident as well as this. There's something very blood curdling in coming upon the aftermath of a horror, rather than witnessing it happen. The shock isn't the same, because there's finality to it. It's happened already. This chapter captures that so well.

Impressively, even though we already know what's in store for Cloud and Zack and the survivors of Nibelheim at this point, you still manage to create a genuine fear for what they will be subjected to. Hojo is utterly repugnant throughout and it's awesome. Pure, undiluted evil. All his remarks to Veld - just infuriating.

Mega thumbs up.
Keveh Kins chapter 23 . 8/4/2016
Not gonna lie, I whooped when Charlie made his grand entrance in Junon. Such an awesome moment.

You do a great job of humanising the characters in this. Small touches, Veld's fatherly relationships with his Turks, going to sit with Rosalind, taking the bullet in the boardroom like a parent taking responsibility when their kid screws up. Or Tseng's weird pseudo mentoring relationship with Rufus. Aviva's diary entries are always a chapter highlight for me as well. Got a good chuckle out of her line about flushing her head down the toilet over the gun talk, who hasn't had to sit and listen to companions ramble on incessantly about a topic you have no interest in? Very true to life.

That's one of the things I love most about this fic. It's equal parts fantastical (as it should be, it's a Final Fantasy fic after all) and real. There's a good mixture of the excitement and zaniness of the world they inhabit but also the sort of wondrous poignancy that you come across in real life.

Reno's determination to dislike Zack is as frustrating as it is understandable. They're from two different worlds, but damn if ya don't want to see them be friends!

Super stuff, Madam AllSorts :)
Keveh Kins chapter 18 . 8/1/2016
There are few fics that are so well balanced as this one. I know I'm saying that less than a quarter of the way through it but methinks I'll be safe in predicting the trait will remain throughout.

Love, love, love your dialogue and character interactions and just everything is done so well and its wonderfully engaging.

The story flows so easily from lighthearted goofiness to heartbreaking drama (the entirety of chapter 16 is simply superb. No other word for it). Come to think of it, it's actually a great merger of the less than morally stellar Turks of the original game and more ambiguous and at times outright comedic Turks of the compilation.

Also, "not by a long chalk". That's such a Veld phrase.
Brightbird chapter 86 . 7/4/2016
This review is for the whole fic:

This. Is. Amazing. From start to finish, one of the most amazing pieces of fiction I've ever read. Anywhere. A Turk tour de force, so skillfully done that I easily forgot I was reading a story; I could see all of the action in my head.

I feel like I know these characters now, from the inside out. The backstories, the personal names, the emotions, all added up to make them real people to me in a way that most other fics barely approached. This would make the most fantastic filmed series ever!

Incredible. Thank you so much for sharing it with the fan community!
Jill chapter 86 . 7/3/2016
Please tell me this isn't the last chapter. I just discovered this amazing story of yours and I am blown away by how amazing it is. Your writing is superb!

The last part just broke me! Ugh. My heart breaks for Rufus and Tseng!

I hope you are doing alright. If you ever pick this up again (it's been more than a year since the last update), I would be happy to see how this ends.
damagectrl.07 chapter 86 . 2/16/2016
Oh dear, I don't even know where to begin. I started reading this last week and I just finished it yesterday. Reading this took a lot of time, and now that I'm done I feel like it's left a void in me. So bittersweet.

I absolutely loved this fic. I have nothing but praise for it. Your writing is superb. Your portrayal of the characters, their interactions, each and every scene was written brilliantly. I especially loved the buildup and development between Tseng and Rufus. You've got me shipping them like crazy. Don't get me started on Aviva - I love how you've written her character.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR WRITING THIS. Thank you for all the time and effort you've put into this amazing fic. This is one of the best fics I've read so great job!

I'm not quite sure if this is really the last chapter but if there's still more coming, I look forward to it.
MakoHeadrush chapter 55 . 1/13/2016
I've yet to leave a review here, I think, but I've been loving every chapter so far - I'm a slow reader these days, though not by choice, more for lack of time! The buildup of the relationship between Tseng and Rufus has been lovely and bittersweet. Your characterizations are spot-on, and I actually did gasp out loud over Charlie's fate. Reno's characterization, particularly in these past few chapters describing his downward spiral, is very real, and some of the best writing I've seen in this fandom. You've taken my favorite Turk and made me hate him - AND love him still! His self-destructive behavior is very realistic and very well written.

I've meant to read this work for quite some time, and never seemed to find the time, but now that I've downloaded it to my table I'm able to read faster than a snail's pace. Kudos, this is really a masterpiece.
Jason Tandro chapter 3 . 8/25/2015
Okay, so I hope you don't mind marathon reviews like this but it's just how I keep my thoughts organized. I spot one or two minor grammatical hiccups in a sea of incredible writing (example:
"you'll never heard from us again".) The story began in such an odd way and has in a mere three chapters evolved into a love letter to the Turks and a wonderful case study. I get the feeling that the first couple of chapters were more of "set up" to the main plot as seems to be evidenced by us finally getting into it and that's totally fine. Some people will say you need to jump right in, but I say in a story like this where the central drive is the characters (the kinds of stories I prefer anyways) you want to spend time digging into their motivations.

You give particular attention to Reno, who I think is everyone's favorite Turk, but you've also done wonderful work with Veld (a character who I am only passively familiar with having never delved into Before Crisis), Tseng, and especially Rufus. What you did with the teenaged tyrant in this chapter was absolutely brilliant.

I hope you take this as a compliment because it's how I mean it, but you've got a very George R.R. Martin style of writing characters, where even if a character is a "bad guy" you bring out the humanity to the point where all we can see is moral shades of gray. I'm still not 100% certain if Veld is a firm but loving father figure, a sadistic drill sergeant or some lovely combination of the two. Rufus in particular is on the cusp as he's at an interesting age in his development (being a teenager) and I am looking forward to seeing what you do with him.

This has been an absolute joy to read and I can't wait to continue on to more! I'll be featuring this as the Fan Novella in the next Roundup if you don't mind! :-)
Team Wingless chapter 2 . 7/21/2015
So I've done the impossible and come across a decently written story in this sesspool of a fanfic site. Although I'm probably not being fair in that most of the people who write on here are probably kids. You have a good style and I can tell you're educated, but I have a few criticisms. Since you actually know what you're doing, I'm sure you can handle a hard review. I've been using a prompt to critique ppl's first sentences but I'm going to apply it to your entire story as far as I've read. I'll follow and critique more later as I read.

1. Catchiness (scale 1-10) - 6. It's catchy for a fanfic because it's well-written. However, I'll note that this rating would probably be lower if it were posted on the Fiction Press side of this site because there is so much more competition and the standards are higher. If all you're going for is fanfic standards, then this marginally hit it. My standards for exciting and enticing in general were not met though and I'll explain why below.
2. Word Length (") - 4. Your sentences are incredibly long and drawn out. Though you've nailed sentence structure and write with a certain grammatical grace, it makes your prose heavy and weighs down the narrative, making flow virtually non-existent. This may have flown pre-Internet, but now in the days of Twitter you have to consider electronic overload and how media has conjuncted readers' attention spans. Mine was lost almost on the first paragraph.
3. Issues that stick out - Aside from "heavy" writing, what comes with the weighted narrative is an overdescription of menial things, like how people are moving around or little details about their posture. It's okay to describe these things, but you're taking 3 or four commas to do so, and most of what you're saying is just reiterating something you already said. It adds to word length, and to the "weighted" issue that this narrative is already suffering from. The little details are also getting in the way of the intense action that is supposed to play out in scenes like a shoot-out in chapter 1. I feel like you're trying to write Die Hard in Jane Austen's writing style. I mean, that's an interesting twist, but it probably wouldn't go over well. It makes exciting things incredibly boring, which is why I scored your catchiness factor low.
4. Grammar/Punctuation - 10. I'm giving you a perfect score because you know what you're doing, but I'll note that I don't like your style of using long sentences with many fragments.
5. First-Sentence Test ("I'll bet he did" "I'll bet it was") - Fail. (many published novels fail). This is the big part that you tripped up on. I can't really decide whether you passed or failed my First Sentence Test actually, but if it wasn't a strong pass I give a fail. I decided to fail because your true first sentence was "Reno and Cissnei were sent on a mission." After that, I can say "I'll bet they were" and roll my eyes. It's bland and menial, and I want to read a story that starts off with something exciting. So it was a bad hook, but it was hard because the whole rest of the paragraph was well-written.
6. Cringe Factor (")- 1. Nothing cringe-worthy except Final Fantasy 7 in general.
8. Suggestions - I don't even know if I should give suggestions because you obviously have a style, and it's probably just that it's not working for me rather than there is actually anything wrong with it. My suggestion would be think Twitter over Shakespeare, 140 characters or less a sentence. And though I can tell you read heavy lit, this subject is a pleb videogame, it wouldn't hurt to brush up on your genre fiction for writing action scenes.
9. Overall Grade - B Congratulations you are the first on this site to achieve a grade over C!
farfromdaylight chapter 86 . 5/10/2015
This fic. Good heavens, this fic was such an experience.

I'm not entirely sure how I hadn't read it before, but I'm so glad that I took the time to read it, because it was an absolute thrill from start to finish. Your characterizations of each of the Turks was fascinating and such a joy to follow, especially Tseng, Reno, and Aviva - good heavens do I love Aviva, I think she's got some of the best character development in the whole story. You manage to weave together pieces of the original canon with BC and CC in such a deft way that it was wonderful seeing everything come together even though I already know how both stories ended. (Also: Rufus. I love how your Rufus is so clearly a child, and we see him do many childish things despite his knowledge because he simply doesn't know better yet, and slowly learn.)

Most importantly, I really feel like this fic takes Before Crisis and makes it your own without going AU, which is what makes it such a good retelling. Your writing is superb and your characterization is what truly made this a story worth spending an entire day and evening reading. I didn't enjoy every character and subplot, but on the whole it's excellent.

Also, I clearly caught up at the worst possible moment, augh. I can't wait for the next chapter.
Guest chapter 86 . 5/4/2015
Hello!
Okay, i want to be sincere: this is one of the most beautiful fanfiction i've ever read so far.
Sadly, my english isn't perfect, so i don't know if i'm able to fully express my appreciation. I will try :-)
In the first place, the characterization: wow! I mean you seem to know the character better than Square. They are deep, with thousand shades and stories. Despite the great amount of your personal creativity they are IC and believable.
I loved your Reno, because is cynical but at the same time funny without fall in his Advent Children idiocy. He has suffer, and his pain change him. I liked the Ressnei relationship and how they hurted each other. Reno and Cissnei are the perfect example of the dark side of love: even if it hurts they want to be together.
Every other Turk is wonderfully depicted. I grow fond to Aviva, she's strong and frail. She loves someone who doesn't love her in returns, she had been broken by life but she keeps fighting. She is so sweet that i want to hug her.
And then Tseng and Rufus. They are complicated, and many peolpe tends to see them superficially. I have read fanfiction where these two are described as sadistic, expecially Rufus. Tseng behave like a bad is supposed to be: wicked. But he has done that for push Aerith away because it was more simple to bear her hatred than her pity. And you got it well. On the other hand Rufus despise sadistic people, and he may be cold but he is clever and responsible. He thinks about people more than his father, he is rational and... his love for Tseng is tender and burning. I hope they'll be together in the end, because they both deserved a happy ending.
Well, i ll be waiting for the next chapter. Pleasepleaseplease, update soon :)
Spikey44 chapter 86 . 4/29/2015
Hi! Just read this whole story in two days. All I can say is 'wow'. Lacking in eloquence, but what else is there to say? You've absolutely written an epic and I loved every minute of it. Thank you. I'm looking forward to seeing how it all ends. (Though I must admit all thru reading this I kept thinking about Reno dropping the plate in the original game and trying imagine how the Turks as you write them would deal with those orders - these characters as you write them are so real it makes me see the old game in new light.)
OwMyFace chapter 86 . 3/13/2015
The writing here is just gorgeous. The whole scene has a kind of dreamlike quality - "it was that sort of night, where everything goes right". This extends even to the prose. If I'm not mistaken, you've slipped into a slightly more formal, old-fashioned style than usual. I was initially a little confused by this, and it wasn't until right at the end that I got it - this whole scene actually kind of is a dream. It's too neat and good to really happen, and the tone of the prose reflects this. It's kind of like a fairy tale or something.
The way you delivered the line that changes it all ("And when they came to Checkpoint Beta...") is just so goshdarn brilliant. A real gut-punch for the reader. I didn't see it coming, but once I recovered from the shock of reading it I realised I was silly not to have. The whole scene had been leading up to it, in a way. What a read!