Reviews for The Way Things Are
tabriggs1975 chapter 29 . 5/13
Please update
oppaihammer chapter 3 . 5/7
gohan just feels like a grade A asshole to me
UltimateGohanssj10 chapter 1 . 5/2
This is a nice fic and it would be nice for you to update!
UltimateGohanssj10 chapter 1 . 5/2
Dude when will you update?
YKVasilisk chapter 7 . 3/19
How did Cell come back? Saying sorry to the "council" that rules hell? like... what? and in a time spawn of 6 to 5 years, he managed to be reborn, and in 4 years he grew to have 16 to 17 years? like... WHAT!? THOW!?
And then I kept reading... so the second part makes a bit of sense (how he managed to sneak into a place where Piccolo stays almost 24/7 is beyond me.

The story has a lot of potential, but you can do better than rush it.
NekoShade chapter 28 . 3/18
Alright, I pushed myself to read this entire story in 2 days. Seeing as I recently got back into Dragon Ball (Super at this point) I always love to see good fanfics.

This one is great. however, for every good thing in this fic, there tends to be something that either doesn't make sense, or is poorly written.

Since I've already made it to the current chapter, a lot of things I had complaints about have been addressed, but there are still several more. Overall, I love this fic. I love Gohan. He's been a favorite of mine since the beginning of Z. (Not to mention he's sexy as fuck later on.) I enjoy reading fanfics with him as the main character. Actually I don't think I've read any DB fanfics without him as the main. But I digress.

Giving him a slightly more cocky attitude is fine, and actually makes him a little more tolerable instead of an absolute goody two shoes. But for the first half of the story, and even now, it seems like he's just a carbon copy of Vegeta who's more willing to do good. I'm glad he still has that good in him but making him as assholish and aggressive as you have doesn't seem to add anything to the story itself.

Also, him being half human is what gave him more latent strength than Goku and Vegeta. (Like Blade being half vampire. He's stronger than vampires because he lacks most of their weaknesses.) Making him full saiyan definitely destroys what made Gohan special in the first place. The same goes for Goten and Trunks too. You could have made it so any off spring produced from Saiyans and Half-Saiyans wouldn't dilute by more than 1/2. Meaning even if a Half-saiyan has a child with a human, the child would still be half saiyan. The wish to make the mates half-saiyans is actually very creative, so adding it with the wish to make all children half saiyans as well, would have effectively created probably the most powerful race in the universe as demi-saiyans.

There were smaller things, like Saiyans being a loyal race (tell that to Nappa) and things like that but they aren't that serious.

My overall personal qualm with this story is Videl. She became my favorite character in the series once they made 18 (Lazuli) take a backseat, like Toriyama loves to do with all of his female characters. I had high hopes that you wouldn't do that in this story. Don't get me wrong; I was thrilled that she beat Seru in the tournament and even showed good skill against Gohan. But after everything that's happened, I'm actually put off that Gohan hasn't made her a half-saiyan yet. That's what I was looking forward to the most in this story. Actually having a strong female protagonist that could at least keep up with the big boys.

I definitely thought she would have turned half-saiyan during the tournament at least, using her new found powers to keep up with the base form of saiyans or at least having her fight Piccolo evenly. There is a lot of potential development that you teased with having the mates of the saiyans become half breeds, but you don't do anything with it at all. Chic-Chi should have remembered her fighting instincts as a martial artists by now due to her Saiyan blood and Bulma should have more of an interests in becoming stronger, even if only a little bit.

Keeping Videl human up to this point serves no purpose and with everyone going to train, I'm honestly surprised she hasn't stepped up in wanting to help in someway. (You're starting to make her look like a common house wife alongside Chi-Chi and Bulma and it really upsets me). My hope of seeing her become the first female super saiyan in this story is dwindling and the story is definitely on track to be 'Gohan is the savior, the only one that matters, everyone else is fodder'. I don't mind seeing as Gohan IS my favorite character, but it's also why I don't love the actual series as much as I used to. Everyone is useless, ESPECIALLY the female cast, if they aren't Goku or Vegeta.

Either way, I have thoroughly enjoyed the story, but I can't love the story as much as I want to. You are leaving out so much potential for character development. Still, this is a solid tale and I hope that after all these years, you can keep it up. If you plan on writing this story for a while, don't end it after Kengen. You should definitely bring Beerus and Whis in and pus it past the Super territory. That would at least give you time to flesh out the new demi-saiyans (Bulma, Chi-Chi, and Videl), show Goten and Trunks new personalities (Seeing as since they are full saiyan now, they will most likely be more aggressive as well), and maybe even introduce Pilaf and his gang. (Mai and Trunks is such an adorable pairing, it's one of the few relationships I think Toriyama is doing right by.)

Keep it up and keep growing!
Jredd chapter 19 . 3/15
Hmmm, I think you're getting a bit better at this. Some things in the story were explained and the wish to make the mates half sayain is...well...interesting. Kengen as another mystic fighter for a bad guy is kind of a neat idea and as far as the poll is concerned with Gohan being so powerful I fail to see how anyone else could win in the tournament. As for the kids my money is on Goten. He may be a year younger but if you have someone so powerful like Gohan to train you then you might just have an edge. Well, we'll see where this story goes. I'll keep reading.
Jredd chapter 15 . 3/14
Hmm, I like the idea of this version of Gohan's transformation but how come Kami is there unless it was Dende? I thought Kami and Piccolo fused in the Android saga.
Seriously i like most of ur story. But ur gohan is jus an asshole. I dont see why people write gohan stories and turn him into a copy of vegeta while at the same time trying to make him out to be gokus son whose kind and saves people out of goodwill. Ur gohan looks down on everyone and acts like an ass. Seriously why not write a vegeta story and then the character would fit perfectly. All these threats gohan is issuing like ripping off erasas arm if she touched his food etc etc is vegeta not a gohan who has a backbone. Jus cause u want a bit more of a badass gohan doesnt mean he has to be a carbon copy vegeta asshole who still saves the day without a second thought. It makes no sense for gohan to feel so compelled to save the day if he looks down on humans which he is half. I hate that the most. Saiyan instinct this saiyan that. He is not jus a saiyan but authors like u want gohan to be vegeta. Why do we need two vegetas in a story its jus annoying. Gohan can be cool badass and aloof without being a jackass
Lightningblade49 chapter 27 . 3/14
I just want to see someone like Beerus to show up to just to get seru's reaction to him and vegeta panick mode.
Jredd chapter 7 . 3/12
Alright, how does Gohan know Instant Transmission/ Instantaneous movement? Did he go to other world and get Goku to teach it to him? Or is it because here he is so focused on training and had seen his father do it enough times that he was able to learn it on his own? Also, did Dende modify the room of spirit and time/ Hyperbolic Time Chamber so that people can go in there multiple times like in DB Super just at an earlier time? I'm not trying to be to nit picky here but I hope it helps you out. Did Cell pull a Super Buu and scream open a portal to get out and if so wouldn't that have let other people know he exists? To make a fuller and more fleshed out story you've gotta make sure you cover all the bases. Don't just leave it up to us to 'fill in the blanks'. You write the story so it is your job to do that so that we can imagine it better and be more entertained. I know the original series had some blanks to be filled in too that were never completely explained but that's why fan fiction is so cool. You can come up with your own theories and dazzle us with a new way of looking at it. Again, these things aren't so terrible that I am going to flame you and stop reading or something silly like that. I'm just trying to be helpful and I hope I was and didn't come off like a jerk or something. I'll read some more. The story itself is interesting enough. Although random bits typical anime humor like people falling over with one frame of animation, or Gohan even though he's been speaking English the whole time suddenly throwing in "baka" seems kind of weird especially when idiot would have been just the same without having to randomly change languages. Yes, I know the original is Japanese but aside from maybe Japanese names for special techniques I find that type of thing to be a little jarring personally but I am sure most would not agree with me :). Minor nitpicks and spelling errors aside this story has potential. I'm thinking you'll get better and better as the story goes along and who knows, maybe you make some 'special chapters' to explain some of these things later. So I'll keep reading and see where this goes.
Jredd chapter 3 . 3/12
Well, this is pretty interesting so far. There are some errors here or there but you already said there would be so I won't give you much of a hard time with that. Plus, it's your first story so you know as long as I can understand what's going on I'll give you a pass on it :). Just try to be a bit more careful before you publish it and maybe if possible get a proof reading friend to help you. I always like the idea of a story where Gohan doesn't stop training but I hope that you address just how in the world he achieved SSJ3. Certainly he has hidden powers and we know in the Buu Saga that when he had his potential unlocked he's actually quite a bit stronger than SSJ3 Goku. Still, we also know that the SSJ3 form causes quite a bit of strain on the body if you aren't in other world so I'm wondering how he managed to unlock it exactly, how good he is at maintaining it, and if in this story with him being a half breed and still being able to unlock it means that Goten and Trunks could do so too with enough training. We know they can as Gotenks but I wonder what your plans are for them especially now with Goten having a much stronger older brother? Well anyway, looks like you have a nice number of chapters here so I'll keep reading.
Love the story but the multipliers kinda bug me cause I'm a stickler
tabriggs1975 chapter 26 . 3/11
I love, love, love it. Welcome back, So happy that are continuing the story. Even with the six year gap between updates this chapter was perfect. Can't wait for the update. Hopefully it wont take another six years. lol
Wicked Lovely 17 chapter 26 . 3/11
OMG YAY!
So happy that you updated! Loved it! Can't wait for more!