Reviews for ikiru
kokoronagomu chapter 4 . 2/22/2010
i remember the 'tomoe' story a bit differently- i think the family hanging about blaming tomoe was more an elaboration in the OVA that wasn't in manga.

at not expressing her happiness at being betrothed to akira, he left to prove himself so that she would accept him. if she would have spoken to him when he told her his plans to go to kyoto to join the bakufu, he wouldn't have gone and gotten killed. what gets me about her is that she made some really bad/stupid/harmful decisions, like transferring her 'guilt' for akira's death, to her 'need' for revenge. then after enishi came to visit, she did finally tell kenshin of the plan to get close to him so they could kill him, but she should have told kenshin where the bakufu were and let him decide to either go after them or to defend the cabin (home field advantage). since she stupidly went to the temple where they were lying in wait, she should have known kenshin would follow her, should have never gotten between two swordsmen. she should have known better -she was samurai, women were taught bushido also some martial arts as tokugawa shogun required separation of men from their families, samurai women had to learn to defend themselves too) if she really wanted to help, she should have stabbed the guy in the kidney or something instead of taking her little letter opener (yes, i know-sharp knife) and trying to get the guy in the front where his armor is the strongest...

believe it or not, i don't hate the girl -k/t shippers and the way they idolize her like she was just so perfect, just annoy the heck out of me.
kokoronagomu chapter 3 . 2/22/2010
he's starting to relax and plan. a good thing if he didn't relax too much.

the poor boy needed someone who could relate or at least to accept him, not necessarily what he 'did' - someone who would pull him away from his stoic guilt, not to remind him of it.
LadyRhiyana chapter 3 . 2/20/2010
I love how Kenshin's thoughts often turn to happy memories of Hiko. (His catching the fish? Beautiful). (Although I would have liked to see Hiko's lectures on the care and feeding of women!)

Tomoe's pov is entirely different. I can understand how these two can stay in the same house and yet be complete strangers from each other.

Enjoying this very much! Thanks for sharing.
Blunablue chapter 4 . 2/20/2010
again tomoe is the one who seems to live more in the past than in the present. She really is trapped in the workings of fate, just like kenshin. I also find it quite interesting that she does not yet seem to care about her "husband", how he behaves, there's no curiosity how he "really" is. Instead tomoe is still caught in her own thoughs, her past decisions ect... I like that you take your time to enfold the story of their relationship, because often the time in Otsu is reduced into "oh they plant some crops, fall in love, betrayal, kill, moaning" with special attention to either love or the last three ones... so your story really fits a gap :) keep it on

bye, blunablue
Blunablue chapter 3 . 2/20/2010
hehe I smiled while reading the flashbacks of Kenshins time with his Shishou :) You wrote believably how he remembers the daily chores, the fishing or planting crops.

Then, towards the end a little bit of tension again: Finally Kenshin begins to wonder what Tomoe want's with him and why she had come with him...I don't think that he trusts her really and utterly at this point yet...
Blunablue chapter 2 . 2/20/2010
Not quite what i imagined, because Tomoe reflected more about the time in the Inn than in the Mountains. but I liked that you stressed her fear, her fear of being caught and also her fear of how to carry out the betrayal...

one thing confused me, though: the beginning takes place in the mountains, then you shift into the past (Kohagiya), but you write, for example, "Today, however, he seemed fresh and collected", which means in the same timeline like the beginning... maybe you should make a break before "It hat happend so suddenly", to make clear that's a flashback.
Blunablue chapter 1 . 2/20/2010
Interesting beginning, took me some timem to realize, that this story is not playing after Bakumatsu but right in it... I also like the tension, Kenshin always on the watch, because what we get to see in the manga and ovas is some kind of "normal" rural live - but, of course, naturally it would take Kenshin some time to break his habits...

I like also the little interest he takes in Tomoe, he doesn't yet feel comfortable with her but already recognizes some similarities...
SiriusFan13 chapter 1 . 2/19/2010
Okay, first of all YAY it's posted:D

Ahem... now that I have THAT out of my system... on to the review:)

I love the point of view of this chapter. How it is clearly based from right inside his head, but still third person. (What's that called 3rd person limited omniscient? But somehow it seems even more limited to his biased perspective... very nice).

The descriptions in this are incredible (of course. That's always something I look forward to in your fics:D)

What I REALLY like in this fic though is how MILITARY Kenshin is. I mean, we all KNOW he's got to have that mindset, and although many of us write him in that way (to some degree), I've never really felt how military he IS until reading this one. And i like it. He's a soldier. And this is not a marriage, but a maneuver that his commander has sent him on. It is his job. And being as bent on direction as he is, I can just FEEL how crazy he is going with no instruction. So he makes his own, which we see in his "ceaseless vigilance" protecting the surrounding area. Without saying completely, we can see his discomfort with this situation both with the woman (who is essentially camoflauge to him... nothing else... yet:P) and with his lack of direction.

And one other random thing that I love... his complete discomfort with the flirtations of the girls. It's painful to see him label HIMSELF a demon and a sword. But I like that the girls are not afraid of them. Makes me wonder... do they not know his job, or do they just realize that he's no threat to THEM?

Anyway, enough rambling. Excellent story. I love it just as much now as when I beta'd:D

Sirius
omasuoniwabanshi chapter 4 . 2/16/2010
Masterful depiction of Tomoe's grief and the reasoning that led her to Kyoto. Enishi's tears on her neck were particularly affecting.
omasuoniwabanshi chapter 3 . 2/16/2010
Fascinating account of weaving a fishing basket. Very realistic. Loved the reference to Hiko as well.

I'm so glad the fish distracted Kenshin from thinking about Tomoe's motives. Your description of his wading into the stream was so tactile that I almost shivered with the shock of the cold water too!
Warg chapter 4 . 2/16/2010
wow, you've done a fine job of making us hate the "gossips" in so few words. Tomoe's deliberating nature, and the sudden decision are both very well placed. Looking forward..
warg chapter 3 . 2/16/2010
Still guarded but glimmers of guarded optimism too. Perhaps he will relax and stop musing, but that would unmake the thread of the story um enjoying so much. As always the details are precise and the images pristine.. more :P

Scarred Sword Heart chapter 4 . 2/15/2010
Those gossipy old women in the OVA pissed me off so much. How could they make those groundless accusations of Tomoe right next to her room? Nasty old biddies, every one of them!
omasuoniwabanshi chapter 2 . 2/13/2010
The rising tension at the headquarters was skillfully echoed in your depiction of Tomoe's thoughts and emotions at being so unceremoniously summoned from the kitchen.

Her shock and apprehension were very well done, as were the descriptive and historically accurate touches like having to take an apron off, making Tomoe kneel beside the shoji to open it, and Kenshin's respectful pose before his commanding officer.

This story has all the hallmarks of a classic - canon, gripping emotional insight, and perfect dramatic conflict. It's good to see the return of such a talented author!
omasuoniwabanshi chapter 1 . 2/13/2010
"Nothing but a sword"

Kenshin's opinion of himself is all too heartbreakingly believable. His preoccupation with security is part and parcel of his self-imposed role as demon/killer, yet there's also a subtle undertone in this story that he's avoiding Tomoe too because he can't quite figure her out. As a woman, she's completely foreign to him. The fact that she isn't some empty-headed giggling twit like the other women he's met may be a relief, but there's an accomplanying sense of relief that he can through himself into "that which was truly important" instead of having to deal with his feelings about her.

He's such a teenager! Angst ridden, guilt-tripped, and tortured to be sure, but that hesitancy and incomprehension towards the opposite sex is all awkward teenager.