Reviews for The Things Before
Starbrow chapter 1 . 12/21/2011
LOVE! Last line is perfect, it makes me almost not hate Susan. And Edmund really WAS being awesome here! So cute to make him give advice to Jill before she goes back to Narnia, and adding in the bit about things not happening the same way twice - perfection. Loved your Jill scene too, very much as I imagined it from her perspective. I never thought about Susan being her mentor in archery and in life, but it definitely makes sense.

Lovely job, I think I need to dig up this exchange of which you speak ;-).
Crazy Dyslexic Nerd chapter 1 . 8/23/2011
I liked that. I loved the ending. How you said she caught the later train, it was perfect.

-Dyslexic Nerd
queen aravis chapter 1 . 4/23/2011
wonderful fanfic! loved it!
ilysia chapter 1 . 5/1/2010
Oh, this is so very beautiful. For all of its brevity, it is brilliant and achingly lovely and everyone is simply right. Mentioning everything I loved would essentially demand me copying the entire story, but a few highlights for me were:

Lucy and the sea. There's something very beautiful and yet terribly sad there; what with her Galman prince and the huge sun. And then this: "they drink it and grow bright and shining, like angels."

And then. Then then then. Rilian and the Lady of the Green Kirtle! Oh, my. Just, just... wow. You manage to put so much menace and desire and hatred all into those two small snippets, and in a very small amount of time you build a relationship between the two of them that is as terrifying as it is twisted. Bravo.
kayeighty chapter 1 . 2/22/2010
I loved them all, but the one about Jill is absolutely amazing.
mokatster chapter 1 . 2/13/2010
At first I was really thrown off by what seemed to be a collection of drabbles that really didn't have much of a connection to each other, but going through it again a little more thoughtfully made me appreciate this a lot more! These snippets may feel disconnected, but I've realized that actually fits so well with what I'm taking out of this: that life is constantly changing and not always what you expect, but the important thing is how you face those changes and what you make of them.

There's something that I really loved about every single drabble, so I'm going to leave an obnoxiously detailed review:

1. Aravis: she's a character that's not really dealt with much, so it was really great to see her here; really interesting idea that the sight of snow would terrify a foreigner-that really makes me think of how far the fear and influence of the White With spread. I've only really thought of her with respect to Narnia, not other countries. Hmm.

2. Lucian! I've never seriously considered them before, but you're another one who's given me a nudge to read VotDT in a whole new light!

3. The thought of Caspian raising Miraz's son as his own...a delightful image of the tables being turned, there. Except that Caspian wouldn't have tried to kill him if Rilian had showed up.

4. Okay, Rilian and the Lady of the Green Kirtle...I've always considered Jadis to be THE most evil villian in the Chronicles, but clearly I need to go read the Silver Chair again. Rilian's story is not one that I've really paid much attention to, and you've written these two snippets of them so well, conveying something completely horrifying in a few words (especially that bit of her wondering how many girls she had to kill to find her particular voice). Also...are Jadis and this Lady of the Green Kirtle supposed to be the same person? Do you see them as the same? Or was that just for the challenge?

5. I love Edmund's warning to Jill, that Narnia is never the same.

6. I never pictured Susan and Jill having a good relationship, and it was really great to see that she was a mentor and sister to Jill for a time. I really loved the last line of the last drabble.

Great job! I really enjoyed this. :)
rthstewart chapter 1 . 2/13/2010
There are so many things I adore about this piece. The closing line, that Susan merely caught a later train, and that it is Peter who says this to her the cap to a gorgeous set of shorts. Poor, poor Aravis, so along and cold and in such a strange place.

I adore the parts with Rilian and the lady of the Green Kirtle, how continues to look for his enslaver and mother's murderer, how she stole and killed for the musical voice. The juxtaposition of the two was just AWFUL and I loved it.

The mentoring of Jill was really lovely too - Edmund and Susan both. Oh yes, that touch of Lucian was pleasant as well.

Just terrific little slices. I feel that we are very fortunate to have seen two things from you in such a short span of time.
Metonomia chapter 1 . 2/12/2010
This makes me SO HAPPY! It's huge and disjointed and yet so flowing and wonderful. From the first sentence to the last it really grips the reader with fresh images and new ideas - Aravis taking stories to heart and fearing the snow, Rilian continuing throughout life to desire/be captive to the Lady of the Green Kirtle, that little bit about the Lady stealing voices, Edmund mentoring Jill, SUSAN mentoring Jill...oh goodness, it's all so glorious.

My absolute favorite parts were the forlorn little whisper of Lucy/Caspian and Jill's section in which she is grateful for Susan and sad that Susan has left them - just the idea that Susan was still a Friend of Narnia long enough to really get to know Jill makes me so happy. Free Susan!

This was gorgeous and powerful and disturbing and hopeful and really well done. Yay!
fledge chapter 1 . 2/12/2010
A beautiful collection of drabbles with a fine range from the humourous via the tragic to the spiritual. Oh, and very well written, too!
Rowena Stark chapter 1 . 2/12/2010
This story seems interesting! I liked the bits with Caspian and Rillian. I have always thought Caspian's life was really depressing. Aravis being afraid of snow was both funny and realistic. Good job! )