Reviews for The Wrong Sort
Tyche Nemesis chapter 1 . 5/8/2010
hmm, a manipulative percy. you know, i never really understood why he was ever in gryffindor. he doesn't seem especially brave in the books really, to me. this was really well written, and underlines the stereotypical gryffindor attitude - slytherins are evil! when actually they aren't that bad, just ambitious. it's when they don't have morals that it gets bad (enter tom riddle).
That...was really awesome. That was actually a really well done piece. There's not all that much going on and (no offense) it's not the most refined piece of literature that I've read, works really well. And it makes its point very well. I liked it. I was thoroughly impressed by the end of it. Excellent work!
Anna Taure chapter 1 . 4/16/2010
Hmm, I like this story.

Nice to underline the intolerance of most Gryffindors towards Slytherins. Guess being a little more open-minded would have prevented Voldy from getting so many supporters (and I quit ranting here ; but in high school I found myself quite in Snape's position with my own bunch of Marauders, and I hate how JKR makes bullying look funny).

At least Percy is smart enough no to be contaminated by the red-and-gold credo.

Pity this is only a one-shot. :)
PLU chapter 1 . 3/10/2010
This was really good. I pity Percy. He's really a big sweety...That should have been born to more accepting parents.
becky chapter 1 . 2/26/2010
Nicely nuanced story I like the way that you show that JKR's world view is a little too black and white. The Weasleys telling Percy to only associate with the "Right Sort" is the exact mirror image of Draco's comment to Harry when they meet on the Hogwarts Express. I love the cleverness. The fact of the matter is the Gryfindors are often rather mean...I do not like bullies and I don't care that it is supposed to be "fun".. I have seen too much of that behavior in middle schools to think it is okay or clever. Kids are hurt badly and even commit suicide over this kind of behavior (nice, smart girl just walked in front of a train due to this in my area.)

One of my principle problems with the Harry Potter series is the obvious sanctioning of bulling, it is already a problem and it is inexcusable to make it acceptable in such widely read children's books. The interesting thing is that JKR actually seems to realize this at one point...Harry/Dudley, Harry's reaction to Snape's Pensive, but then it seems like the "fun" part of the pranking is just too much for her to resist.

I am sorry, I ranted. I enjoyed your story and actually, the leg up given by Percy's friends is a nice touch. It also reflects a certain smugness of the Weasleys that they can not see how anything could be done without it reflecting on them.
Zoran chapter 1 . 2/15/2010
brilliant story I am surprised, but i like it!
RavenEcho chapter 1 . 2/13/2010
Quite an interesting little thought. I like it. :)
WhispersInTheShawdows chapter 1 . 2/13/2010
This is great!
Vera Rozalsky chapter 1 . 2/13/2010
Oh, very nice! Yes, Harry and Ron and the twins aren't watching Percy the invisible man, and this is a nice conjecture as to what he was getting up to: in particular how, as the hardworking son of an all-too-principled father, he managed to score a plum of a job like his position with Mr. Crouch.

Because that's the way the world works in the upper echelons, and in particular in a world as tiny and as medieval as Rowling's Ministry for Magic.

Thanks again for another vignette that's entered my personal canon.