Reviews for Gold to Ashes
sydneyporter463 chapter 1 . 8/29/2013
so sad... yet filled with life and beautifully detailed... amazing work, hope your proud
LuciusBelyakov chapter 1 . 6/29/2011
All of the images were powerful. The way the fairies’ deaths were timed to his, sorta like he’s their puppet master, they fall with him. I like the way you describe their bodies going back to nature, when you said husks that compared them to plants to me. The forest being poisoned was another striking image. The material world slowly breaking down, first gold goes to brass, then ash. This story has imagination, not just beauty. I also thought it was good that you showed a larger extent of the Faun’s powers, like trying to breathe life back into the fairies, albeit it did remind me of The Firebird sequence of Fantasia 2000! But the writing of it was still good, it was interesting that you described the look of the attempt to bring them back as like ghosts on their lips, since that would normally be associated with death instead of resurrection.

His memory of his time with little Princess Moana was sweet. I normally don’t like scenes like that, they can be corny but not here. One reason why it worked for me is because we normally see him as an elegant and impressive creature, this showed him in a more humble way, where he’s acting more like a pet in relationship to her, with pure, and simple love. He’s warm and appreciative, which all the more sad as he’s being destroyed now, to remember how vital he used to be. Lastly he is death is so poignant, pitiful. He’s lost his strength and stature, he’s literally tripping over his own two feet like a clown. He begs for his fairies, he’s totally alone, he has to die that way in a dirty field. I’m about to cry actually just thinking about it…

Good job
thisaccountiscloseddeleteit chapter 1 . 1/24/2011
Wow, that was really vivid. A good cross between a poem and story.
laucifa chapter 1 . 11/19/2010
Beautiful! I love Pan, so this was heartbreaking as well as magical.
Missypen chapter 1 . 6/2/2010
I am not sure about the format here but the picture in my mind is nice :)
SilverSoulmate chapter 1 . 5/3/2010
You write beautifully... This story was so sad, but I truly loved the way you describe the nature and how you couple the death of the Faun with the dying surroundings.
PetiteFilleFou chapter 1 . 5/2/2010
Beautiful. Really that's all that needs to be said.
Estelle Tiniwiel chapter 1 . 2/16/2010
Beautiful, sad, poignant, and an excellently written piece of prose. It makes me want to cry and panic for the things that are seen to be slipping away, but at the same time it has that very calm feeling of inevitability that settles heavy in your chest and makes you feel like "this is it; I know it and there's no way to change it, so be content." Truly wonderful story. I applaud your skill.

Estelle Tiniwiel -x-