Reviews for The Life I Could Lead
Mr Wang 330 chapter 1 . 5/6/2010
A late review, but still worthy of my personal two cents.

This is a great example showing how so few words in a chapter can express so much more emotion, feeling, sympathy, and insight than other entries with ten times as many words.
You shed a light that too few authors want to portray Mikuru in. It's realistic, but it's also a tragic story, in a way. I've never really been able to see someone, even in fanfiction, explain a perfect way they could be together without damaging the canon of time travel. It's sad, considering that they (Kyon and Mikuru) both like each other, though they must hide it in a veil for the sake of existence and duty. Sometimes, I think it's not meant to be. But that doesn't mean they can get over the attachment to each other.

Oh, look at me ramble. Bottom line: Amazing piece. I love every aspect of it, it fits in canon, and many people on this site seem to neglect Mikuru. I applaud this, and I wish you luck on your future writings.

~Mr. Wang
GeshronTyler chapter 1 . 5/2/2010
An interesting contrast would be to write a similar story for AsahinaBig!, whose's motivations aren't as clear or pure as AsahinaSmall!. That said, AsahinaSmall! is such a cute and cuddly personality as portrayed in the anime at least, it just makes you want to hug her, and squeeze her, and take her home and call her george.
einootspork chapter 1 . 3/8/2010
Nice story. I always like pieces that take a closer look at Mikuru, since she's got some very very small hints of more going on underneath, but we never get to see any of it. And yet when you think about it, it's really quite interesting stuff, how time displacement affects a person. And wondering whether or not Asahina-san is all she seems to be leads to some interesting questions. I quite like the interpretation you offer up here.
halfeatenmoon chapter 1 . 2/17/2010
So, you already know how much I love this, but after the not so nice anon review you got here I kinda want to say something here as well as on LJ. I gave a pretty vague request and you managed to write a fic with all the things I love in Mikuru - how she could be much smarter than we think, how her unique life situation has some pros and cons that are both lonely, and a nice helping of unrequited love which is just one of the number one things I like in any kind of fiction.

Anonymous reviewer, sometimes love is complicated. In my life, it always has been, so I love fiction where that is reflected and Esbee wrote me a lovely one. If your love life has always been easy and straightforward, then I'm happy for you, but sometimes it's messy and unhappy and DOES involve triangles and unrequited loose ends. There's nothing wrong with putting that in fiction. I'm glad people do.

And seriously, why shouldn't people write fic about Mikuru? I requested it because she's a character who doesn't get much love in fandom. If you think there isn't enough written about other characters or couples, well, Mikuru fic really isn't what you need to take aim at.
anon chapter 1 . 2/16/2010
Good writing. I loved how you really brought out Mikuru's true feelings that never quite reveal in the anime. Unexpected, but Mikuru may really be feeling this way. Being a time-traveler cannot be easy. Nice job
superstarultra chapter 1 . 2/16/2010
Unlike the anon below me, I found this to be a wonderful fic to read.

This was great stuff. Mikuru fics are few and far here, and I thought this was an excellent read. You really have a knack for these things. :)
pants.on the ground chapter 1 . 2/15/2010
you made me honestly sad. You must really hate Yuki...or even Itsuki. No need to flame, or anything, but why doesn't anybody write about ItsukiXKyon, or YukiXKyon anymore. Mikuru probably will never have a guy. She can't love someone because she is a time traveler and that would mess up alot of things. i dont hate mikuru, but when you people put it as if other couples are unimportant. Seriously guy...really? If you are having a couple, stick with it, dont put in little one sided threesomes. IT's weird.

Good work..
MissAkari chapter 1 . 2/15/2010
Incredible writing, as always.

I can't really give as much praise as the other reviews, but reading this and going deeper into any character's mind of the series makes me happy. Ahaha.

Keep up the good work. The ending lines are what really made an impact on me.
mafalda157 chapter 1 . 2/15/2010
You know, while the canon works completely failed to make me interested even in the slightest when it comes to Mikuru, sometimes fics like this catch me completely off guard. You've given her so much more depth with this. I could really understand her bitterness.

Maybe it's because introspective, character-driven fics are my absolutely favourite kind, but I liked this better than Apples and Oranges. I wonder if they're kinda connected, in that she's pruposefully dumbing herself down so Kyon will like her. I have to admit I have added this to my personal headcanon, cause it makes more sense and it makes her a more tragic character.

I hope you experiment with this style even more the future, I really enjoyed it!
Greg Zerich chapter 1 . 2/14/2010
Really powerful. All I can really hope for is that the novels give her even half as much characterization as this short but fantastic piece gives her.

I really do wonder about Mikuru, of course, I think that people are meant to wonder about her, since she and Itsuki are arguably the two most mysterious characters, but even Itsuki has been somewhat open (seemingly) with Kyon, even if we don't know about his past. With Mikuru, we know next to nothing. We don't even really know if that's her real name I suppose.

It seems rather sad, but I guess that's the time traveller's lament.
Kazukagi chapter 1 . 2/14/2010
*Finish reviewing last story, check email to find ANOTHER story*

I get it, you're just trying completely halt my productivity. I'M ON TO YOU!

First off a grammar error: In sentence three you put in an extra 'all', and so the sentence reads: "That's what it all it all boils down to:" which I don't think is intentional.

Enough of that though, on to the plot. This one was shorter, but if I were to be honest I like it more. Stories involving Mikuru always get to me because I find her particular struggle to be perhaps the most powerful. Her whole 'sometimes' thing with Kyon was very accurate, and that small realization at the end where he keeps glancing at Haruhi and Mikuru understands that even if she stayed she could never truly have Kyon is sad in its own right.

Well I did enjoy it. All that stuff about you updating from the other review still stands. Now if you're done uploading awesome stories, I need to get back to work. Kudos!

As always (again),

shanejayell chapter 1 . 2/14/2010

I always want to hug Mikuru, especially when you realize how much of what we see of her is an act.