Reviews for Crossroads of Desperation
RollingStars chapter 2 . 12/23/2011
You did very well capturing Toph's character! I enjoyed every moment of it. Keep up the great work!
Sokka'sFirstFangirl chapter 1 . 11/6/2010
So sweet! Kataang rules

Zutara makes no sense.
Rast chapter 4 . 10/2/2010
I love all of these, but Zuko's is hands-down my favorite. I really hated him for a while after S2, and I never even tried to get into his head and figure him out there and now I'm disappointed in myself for that because you've done a really fantastic job here making him less of a bastard and more of a real person. Awesome writing.

The whole thing definitely clinches on the quote at the end and I have to say that I was blinking back tears at that point. Mostly because I love Aang so much, and his line about being friends in that episode always gets me, but in light of Zuko's thought process through this whole thing, it adds weight.

The *real* beginning of Zuko finally starting to grow up. Awesomely done. I really wish something like this had been included in the series, I think this goes a long way toward showing Zuko's motivations in S3.

I'm envious. You make me want to write a better/deeper Zuko ;)
SydneyRichelle chapter 4 . 9/3/2010
very well done. I enjoyed it a lot, although there is that missing final chapter I was rather anticipating...and judging from last update date I will never get it.. oh well tragedy is good for the soul right.
dcp1992 chapter 3 . 8/30/2010
Those are really good, when are you going to do Aang?
carebear2010 chapter 4 . 8/24/2010
I really like your writing style. I agree with your profile about the saying "I love you" and then everything is perfect. being married for over 12 years, I know that doesn't happen. I really liked how realistic with Toph your were, I can see her reacting like that and thought that you kept her IC very well. Thanks for writing this, and I hoope you continue this one and write others.
arizony chapter 4 . 8/21/2010
Jonathan, I think you have, once again, captured the essence of the character. So many authors portray Zuko, and the rest of the Gaang, as very one dimensional. You have always gone far, far beyond that single dimension, though. You have captured Zuko and who and what he is in this (again) wonderful one-shot. I am looking forward to your next update of Aang's pov. BTW, if you haven't read it yet, I would suggest you take a look at "The Price of Falling" by Rast. Her story is a much more in depth portrayal of Katara's pov. Like you, she is an excellent author, and (again, like you) deserves that title in every sense of the word.

-arizony-
Glon Morski chapter 4 . 5/23/2010
That was a touching story... well, ok, touching one-shots since, no offense, they hardly seem to be related to one another, except for the fact that all monilogues have even started because of Aangs coma.

Anyway, you really pulled Toph and Sokka off and I congratulate you on that. And Zuko's thoughts, those deep, philosophical monologue that only brought him to saying 'I know that I know nothing at all' (well, he didn't really say it, but he might as well have 'cause that's the truth: he doen't know anything anymore) were really mazing.

But, i think you overdid Katara there a little. I mean, I can see where she's coming from and I understand why she's suffering so much, but if you look at her in the series, even when she's crying, she either stays more or less calm or is completely mad. But she never breaks down like you made her do. in my opinion, that made her OOC. Her thoughts were really fitting, I could well imagine her thinking all that, but the crying to the point that she couldn't stand upright anymore just seems too... I don't know... girly? I mean, Katara isn't some weak, dependant girl. She has coirage, and temper and she knows well how to fight. She hates being underestimated. And while she truly was affected by Aangs injury, I don't think she would act like she couldn't live without Aang.

Other than that, I loved it. Hope to see another good 'one-shot' here soon, ne :3
Animus of Masada chapter 4 . 3/12/2010
Awesome chapter! I liked this one the best out of all of them (Zuko is my favorite character, afterall, and this is one of the big reasons why).
one from Denmark chapter 1 . 3/11/2010
it was a relly great story. you are rihgt about katanng and what you said about zutara.
I-love-random-internet-stories chapter 4 . 3/11/2010
Fantastic! A really great ending (because I think you've now done all the characters you were planning one, or am I wrong?) to a really good series. I loved how you captured Zuko's confusion and already the seeds of regret, of wondering about the Fire Nation and who he is, about his uncle and the Avatar and the victims of the war. And also his pain at being hated even when he had tried to do good, and his realisation that he isn't the prince he was once, he's been a beggar and a theif and a fugitive and a lot else besides. So really well done on a complex character.

Only 2 critiques

1) "Caused this mitosis in me" is a bit odd. Mitosis is how cells reproduce to produce two identical daughetr cells from one cell. There should be no change at all, unless something's gone wrong. Therefore, calling Zuko's change a "mitosis" makes no sense. Perhaps you mean metamorphasis?

2) Although I liked how you fitted in the quote from "The Blue Spirit", Zuko is already doubting that Aang is dead by the first chapter of book three, because he know about Katara's Spirit Water. Therefore, although I think he would regret what happened to Aang and might believe him dead, I am not entirely sure that he would have so little hope as to his survival. It was partly his belief in Aang's survival that led to his anger and confusion anyway.

Otherwise very good. Sorry about rambling for so long.
Kirby77DP77 chapter 3 . 3/9/2010
These were great! You really have an eye for characters! :)

Kirby
arizony chapter 3 . 2/25/2010
Well, this is a double review...

First, I liked the way you portrayed both Sokka and Toph. They were both (for the most part) in character. Several reviewers have already commented on Toph being just a little out of character, so I won't say anymore about that. I like how you can delve into the characters' inner emotional psyche and portray their deepest feelings, insecurities, and desires to be seen as real people (so to speak). You have a gift of being able to do that, something which is rare amongst authors. I am looking forward to your next update of this wonderful series of one-shots.

-arizony-
I-love-random-internet-stories chapter 3 . 2/25/2010
Another great chapter there :) Sokka was written really well, you captured the pull in him fantastically; at once he is the group's joker and comedian, but he also so desprately wants to be able to protect them, and yet he can't over and over, because the crisies they are all being pushed through are way too big for any one man yet alone a kid. It made me feel so sad for Sokka. It must be hard to feel like a failure that often, to feel helpless.

Anyway, keep up the good work
Animus of Masada chapter 3 . 2/24/2010
Nice chapter! Enjoyed reading it. Will you go to when Aang wakes up next?