Reviews for Interstitium
Janizary chapter 29 . 4/7/2014
Nice, Legion. Like helping a little old lady across the street (or helping them impale themselves for SCIENCE!). That was awesome.

ME3 Writing moments (my quotes are just placeholders):
Funniest: "'I should go'. Do I sound like that?"
Saddest: "I must go to them." or "I'm proud of you." Toss, but since one is 'almost' at the end, it might be disqualified.
Most infuriating: Remember that time when...oh, I can't talk about the end. ;)
Most inspiring: Not dialogue so much as the scene itself. Reaper vs. Uber Maw.

Best scene of all 3 games: Sovereign's speech. Still makes my skin crawl. Harbinger has nothing on that speech.
MrRigger chapter 29 . 4/7/2014
On the ME movie thought, I'd rather them not do anything with Shepard and the Normandy, but rather cover the years before ME1. Do the First Contact War, do humanity joining the Citadel, just don't lock Shepard into one specific background, because you know they'd make him a default Male Earthborn Paragon Soldier. Which is fine, I've played that Shepard, but Shepard is supposed to be different for everyone.

One the ME3 question, of the core game, I think my favorite moment was Mordin's death. Not that I was happy to see him go, he was one of my favorite characters, but they sent him off in such a powerful way that I can't get mad at them. Outside the core game, pretty much all of the Citadel DLC. Everything there was just awesome, I loved all of it. Least favorite writing moment? Pretty much anything to do Kai Leng, because all of that was seriously clumsily done. I know he's expanded in some of the comics, but I've never read those, and don't intend to, so he came out of nowhere, has no context for his skills, inflicts the Idiot Ball on all those around him, and has plot-mandated Screw You buttons all over the place. I'm sorry, but if I shoot you full of multiple heat sinks worth of ammo, rip you apart with biotics, and tear you apart to the point that you don't get to get off more than one attack before you retreat back to the safety of your gunship providing covering fire, you shouldn't get to just walk away with a perfect victory like my efforts were for nothing. That's piss poor writing to me.

Guile chapter 29 . 4/7/2014
Man, it’s so hard to pick just one. The Citadel DLC from start to finish was so much hokey fun, celebrating all the characters and crazy soft science we’ve come to love (Evil clones? Seriously?). The Leviathan DLC was intriguing; I wish we had more of that instead of the Catalyst. The little bits and pieces that snuck in around the edges, like Kal’Reegar’s last stand and the Krogan poet’s ode to his ‘blue rose’. Sheppard and Tali on Rannoch (building a little house…). Legion’s self-actualization. Garrus and Sheppard shooting bottles on the Citadel. My favorite would have to be Mordin’s end, though.
“I made a MISTAKE.”
“Had to be me. Someone else would have gotten it wrong.”
His whole character arc from ME2 to ME3 I did NOT see coming, but really impressed me. Utilitarianism is so much easier from a distance.

Least favorite… does the whole Illusive Man arc count? I was also not terribly impressed by Samara’s section, but then I never really liked Samara to begin with. Jack’s section was cute but without much substance, and Jacob’s was even less.
Ananon chapter 29 . 4/7/2014
Bloody excellent, as always.

Favorite moment in ME3: probably the little talk that manShep had with Anderson while the two of them are dying on the Citadel. The cracks in Shepard's veneer of command following Thessia are a close second.

Least favorite: Cerberus raid. What narrative purpose does it serve, exactly? Why would elite Cerberus commandos that gutted C-Sec take off just because Captain Bailey and a couple of mall cops showed up? In second place, there's the "teach the geth to love" bullshit that the Rannoch arc turned into.
Lost Northern chapter 29 . 4/7/2014
What do you mean by writing moment ?
eriskbo chapter 29 . 4/6/2014
An Irish Airman Foresees His Death

I know that I shall meet my fate
Somewhere among the clouds above;
Those that I fight I do not hate,
Those that I guard I do not love;
My country is Kiltartan Cross,
My countrymen Kiltartan's poor,
No likely end could bring them loss
Or leave them happier than before.
Nor law, nor duty bade me fight,
Nor public men, nor cheering crowds,
A lonely impulse of delight
Drove to this tumult in the clouds;
I balanced all, brought all to mind,
The years to come seemed waste of breath,
A waste of breath the years behind
In balance with this life, this death.

always thought that summed up Joker nicely...great chapter as always, long wait but worth it!
NoNameAvailable Bis chapter 29 . 4/6/2014
And once again, great update, with a chilling ending. "What the shit" indeed, not to mention those Chandana logs. What's interesting with those non-team-mates chapters is that they always focus on the rest of the crew, the average (kindda) joes who signed up nonetheless for a suicide mission. Also, interesting to see Joker still feeling guilty-except-not-really over what happened, and his conversations with EDI showed a real evolution between them.

Now, for my favourite writing moment in ME3... I'd be tempted to say it's a tough sell between the climaxes on Tuchanka and Rannoch, which were the high points of the game to me. But perhaps I could nominate a much smaller event : the conversation with Udina right after the Council meeting. I always found his character interesting, but in that scene, he really sounded... well, human, I guess.

My least favourite one... Probably Mars. I wasn't too upset over it, because I had been long prepared to the fact that having an anti-reaper super-weapon lying around was the only way to keep Shepard relevant during the end-game, but I still felt it was sloppy. And the fact the schematics were simply waiting in a facility known for decades only strained further my suspension of disbelief. In a way, you could say I didn't enjoy the main plot structure, but liked the "sidequests". Oh, and I wasn't a fan of what they did with Cerberus either.

See you soon!
Tyler chapter 29 . 4/6/2014
I'm going to guess Chapter 30 is Jack.

I've got weird feeling now that this is coming to an end. I've never really talked about the flaws with this story, because they're hardly flaws, but I do find it somewhat sad we miss out on the details due to the structure of your story. Sure, we don't need them because we've all played the game, but I kind of wish we had gotten your own take on the introduction to Legion in the midst of a swarm of husks.

I only bring this up now because getting close to the end makes me reflect back on this whole story, the genius moments and the missing parts. Kind of a pointless comment, I suppose, but I struggle to come up with actual criticism anyway.
anotamous chapter 29 . 4/6/2014
Not sure what you meant by still not legion, but anyway moving along, good chapter. Favorite ME3 moment would be Mordin sacrificing himself to cure the genophage, and Kalros killing the Reaper. Least favorite (apart from the ending with the stupid brat), geth-quarian war. Made it a bit too black and white for my taste.
Afalstein chapter 29 . 4/6/2014
Joker is a fun character. I got to know him first in ME2, and I was sort of surprised when I picked up ME1 to see how minor a role he seemed to have. But he really hit it off with audiences. I love the surprise mission in ME2 where you have to be him hobbling around the ship (which I thought you were going to get into here, and was a little disappointed that you didn't). He was a lot of fun in ME3, too.

I liked the start to this, where Grunt tries to half-drunkenly explain his hazy memories in his clumsy way. It's better because the reader knows Grunt has something important to impart, but can also understand his teammates' trepidation.

Your presentation of his slowly growing empathy with EDI is also nice. Kind of scary bit with Joker wondering about indoctrination, almost liking the idea. Joker IS the sort who would eventually find the Reapers to be both terrifying and ridiculous. The callback from the scene with Kelly was fun too, tying together a bunch of chapters and giving us a sense of the overall scenario.

Odd take on Joker-that he signed on with Cerberus for the Normandy and not for Shepard. I remember now that you did have him say this early on in Tali's chapter, but I hadn't gotten the point. It meshes with the other character trait you gave him-that Joker actually cares about the ship more than the crew. It fits with his in-game behavior a whole lot and also recalls the conversation he had with the engineers. Unexpected, but very nice. Thought you were going to end it with Joker having to deal with the ship without the crew, but I don't think

The two major girls-who-haven't-gotten-their-own-chapter-yet seem to be Aria and Jack. I can't really think of a good reason for you to visit Aria, so I have to think that the next chapter will be Jack, though the timing seems odd.

I actually didn't hate the ending so much... I was more upset that all the endings were the same. My favorite moment, though... I think Shepard's shooting competition with Garrus is pretty hilarious. There's also this elcor ambassador who asks you to evacuate his home-planet. It's a bit mission... you show up and scan the planet and you're done. But when you go back, and you tell him, and ask if they were able to evacuate the civilians, the elcor can't speak at first, and then says "...not... enough." I love it because for once the elcor is so overcome he can't even tell you how he's speaking, but for the first time you can hear emotion from an elcor.

Least favorite moment is probably on Rannoch. I loved the Geth/Quarian war in a lot of ways, and I liked a lot of how they ended it. But the climax annoyed me on a couple fronts. First, that there was a long drawn-out explanation for how the battle somehow came down to you firing a targeting laser at the Reaper's "eye," even though there's no way the fleet could have hit the eye from above like that. Second, that Shepard manages to talk down two species that have been at each other's throats for time immemorial. Third, the introduction of the "synthetics vs. organics cycle" idea (which made even less sense in my playthrough, when I'd JUST united the geths and quarians.) But finally, what annoys me is how everyone throws around "Kee'lah se'lai" without any regard for whether it actually makes any sense. Legion's use of it might have been pretty compelling, if Shepard hadn't blatantly pulled it out at the end of his speech just to get the Quarians on board.

Wow. Long review, that.
Dead Bones Sam chapter 29 . 4/6/2014
My favorite moment in ME3 was when Mordin went up to save the Krogan from the genophage cure sacrificing his life to right the one mistake he showed to regret in life. I disliked the first ending.
pvoberstein chapter 29 . 4/6/2014
Another great chapter! Joker is one of those characters who just makes the universe come alive. Nothing like stopping by the cockpit just to listen to one of his dozen-odd musings. I wholeheartedly concur with your thoughts on the Mass Effect movie.

Regarding Mass Effect 3, my favorite part was probably how the first hour or three sucked you in with just HOW BAD THINGS ARE. Earth falls in the first ten minutes. Then the chaos on Mars. The Citadel is becoming overcrowded with refugees, subsuming its charm and mystique. Then Palaven, where you witness first-hand the true scope of the threat. Not sure if that answered your question. Basically any line of dialogue from the Citadel DLC, given how amazingly self-aware the humor there is. But without question the single best moment is the confrontation between Shepard and Mordin Solus at the base of the Shroud (if played a certain way). Closely followed by the final conversation between Tali and Legion ("does this unit have a soul?"). [Last bit!: Jack's dialogue throughout ME3 really made me warm to a character I'd decidedly avoided throughout ME2.]

DISLIKE: (I actually didn't mind the ending that much, maybe a little too 2001: A Space Odyssey, but I can live with that). I wish Mordin hadn't sung 'Scientist Salarian' as he was dying on the Shroud. That song is justly loved, but shoehorning it in there kind of distracted from the nobility of his sacrifice. I think the dialogue where Tali/Shepard order the Quarian Fleet to stand down while Legion uploads the Reaper code didn't quite come together for whatever reason. I was really disappointed with how The Illusive Man went from being this nuanced anti-villain to basically a hammy knock-off of Saren (such a performance didn't really require the talents of Martin Sheen).
Darchias chapter 27 . 3/30/2014
I find that male Shepard's voice is too grating to listen to for any extended period of time. This may be the problem you are having trying to wring a character out of him.
pvoberstein chapter 28 . 3/30/2014
Absolutely cannot wait for whatever's coming next. The fact that your profile says that the next chapters are Done is driving me mad with anticipation.
Karamazov chapter 28 . 3/28/2014
Okeer, Faust. Faust, Okeer. Gorgeous piece of tragedy.

And Captain Cosmic? Mocking our own readers now, are we? But with this degree of quality, maybe yourself.

Looking forward to seeing the rest of this. All the usual praise, and so on.
899 | « Prev Page 1 .. 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 21 .. Last Next »