Reviews for Interstitium
Afalstein chapter 29 . 4/6/2014
Joker is a fun character. I got to know him first in ME2, and I was sort of surprised when I picked up ME1 to see how minor a role he seemed to have. But he really hit it off with audiences. I love the surprise mission in ME2 where you have to be him hobbling around the ship (which I thought you were going to get into here, and was a little disappointed that you didn't). He was a lot of fun in ME3, too.

I liked the start to this, where Grunt tries to half-drunkenly explain his hazy memories in his clumsy way. It's better because the reader knows Grunt has something important to impart, but can also understand his teammates' trepidation.

Your presentation of his slowly growing empathy with EDI is also nice. Kind of scary bit with Joker wondering about indoctrination, almost liking the idea. Joker IS the sort who would eventually find the Reapers to be both terrifying and ridiculous. The callback from the scene with Kelly was fun too, tying together a bunch of chapters and giving us a sense of the overall scenario.

Odd take on Joker-that he signed on with Cerberus for the Normandy and not for Shepard. I remember now that you did have him say this early on in Tali's chapter, but I hadn't gotten the point. It meshes with the other character trait you gave him-that Joker actually cares about the ship more than the crew. It fits with his in-game behavior a whole lot and also recalls the conversation he had with the engineers. Unexpected, but very nice. Thought you were going to end it with Joker having to deal with the ship without the crew, but I don't think

The two major girls-who-haven't-gotten-their-own-chapter-yet seem to be Aria and Jack. I can't really think of a good reason for you to visit Aria, so I have to think that the next chapter will be Jack, though the timing seems odd.

I actually didn't hate the ending so much... I was more upset that all the endings were the same. My favorite moment, though... I think Shepard's shooting competition with Garrus is pretty hilarious. There's also this moment...an elcor ambassador who asks you to evacuate his home-planet. It's a bit mission... you show up and scan the planet and you're done. But when you go back, and you tell him, and ask if they were able to evacuate the civilians, the elcor can't speak at first, and then says "...not... enough." I love it because for once the elcor is so overcome he can't even tell you how he's speaking, but for the first time you can hear emotion from an elcor.

Least favorite moment is probably on Rannoch. I loved the Geth/Quarian war in a lot of ways, and I liked a lot of how they ended it. But the climax annoyed me on a couple fronts. First, that there was a long drawn-out explanation for how the battle somehow came down to you firing a targeting laser at the Reaper's "eye," even though there's no way the fleet could have hit the eye from above like that. Second, that Shepard manages to talk down two species that have been at each other's throats for time immemorial. Third, the introduction of the "synthetics vs. organics cycle" idea (which made even less sense in my playthrough, when I'd JUST united the geths and quarians.) But finally, what annoys me is how everyone throws around "Kee'lah se'lai" without any regard for whether it actually makes any sense. Legion's use of it might have been pretty compelling, if Shepard hadn't blatantly pulled it out at the end of his speech just to get the Quarians on board.

Wow. Long review, that.
Dead Bones Sam chapter 29 . 4/6/2014
My favorite moment in ME3 was when Mordin went up to save the Krogan from the genophage cure sacrificing his life to right the one mistake he showed to regret in life. I disliked the first ending.
MayaBlue chapter 29 . 4/6/2014
Another great chapter! Joker is one of those characters who just makes the universe come alive. Nothing like stopping by the cockpit just to listen to one of his dozen-odd musings. I wholeheartedly concur with your thoughts on the Mass Effect movie.

Regarding Mass Effect 3, my favorite part was probably how the first hour or three sucked you in with just HOW BAD THINGS ARE. Earth falls in the first ten minutes. Then the chaos on Mars. The Citadel is becoming overcrowded with refugees, subsuming its charm and mystique. Then Palaven, where you witness first-hand the true scope of the threat. Not sure if that answered your question. Basically any line of dialogue from the Citadel DLC, given how amazingly self-aware the humor there is. But without question the single best moment is the confrontation between Shepard and Mordin Solus at the base of the Shroud (if played a certain way). Closely followed by the final conversation between Tali and Legion ("does this unit have a soul?"). [Last bit!: Jack's dialogue throughout ME3 really made me warm to a character I'd decidedly avoided throughout ME2.]

DISLIKE: (I actually didn't mind the ending that much, maybe a little too 2001: A Space Odyssey, but I can live with that). I wish Mordin hadn't sung 'Scientist Salarian' as he was dying on the Shroud. That song is justly loved, but shoehorning it in there kind of distracted from the nobility of his sacrifice. I think the dialogue where Tali/Shepard order the Quarian Fleet to stand down while Legion uploads the Reaper code didn't quite come together for whatever reason. I was really disappointed with how The Illusive Man went from being this nuanced anti-villain to basically a hammy knock-off of Saren (such a performance didn't really require the talents of Martin Sheen).
Darchias chapter 27 . 3/30/2014
I find that male Shepard's voice is too grating to listen to for any extended period of time. This may be the problem you are having trying to wring a character out of him.
MayaBlue chapter 28 . 3/30/2014
Absolutely cannot wait for whatever's coming next. The fact that your profile says that the next chapters are Done is driving me mad with anticipation.
Karamazov chapter 28 . 3/28/2014
Okeer, Faust. Faust, Okeer. Gorgeous piece of tragedy.

And Captain Cosmic? Mocking our own readers now, are we? But with this degree of quality, maybe yourself.

Looking forward to seeing the rest of this. All the usual praise, and so on.
Janizary chapter 28 . 3/26/2014
Masterful chapter. The back-story elements had me riveted.
Janizary chapter 27 . 3/26/2014
OMG there was so much goodness in this chapter!

Minuteman station was the best. The interaction between Shepard and Illusive Man was excellent.

In Grunt's log I kept waiting for 'ate engineer'. heh.
Karg42 chapter 28 . 3/19/2014
Holy shit. Grunt is the last person I expected to figure out how to access the Omega 4 Relay. Well done. Grunt really feels like an insecure kid trying too hard too prove himself and you can almost taste Okeer losing his mind. Freaking love it mate.
Granten chapter 28 . 3/19/2014
Normally I find Grunt to be one of the most boring characters in Mass Effect, probably because he's so much like Jacob. Some potential for development, but really nothing done with it and ultimately shoved aside for more colorful characters.

This managed to make him more interesting, show the team mentoring him in their own way and spend some time on a criminally ignored character, Okeer.
Tyler chapter 28 . 3/19/2014
Wow, seeing another chapter up so quickly was a pleasant surprise today. I had something to read while on a road trip for work.

As usual, I have nothing but praise. Maybe the IFF was a little...blunt, but theres no need to make that a big mystery.

What I realized is so great about your story is that it may essentially be a novelization of ME2, the simplest kind of fan fiction, but you've filled out with so much more depth, and that depth feels like it came straight from BioWare. I want to say you own these characters now. I don't think there's one interpretation I don't love.

Well, I still feel Shepard and Miranda's interaction are far more entertaining than Shepard and Tali's...but that's a more personal choice.
Guile chapter 28 . 3/19/2014
… Illusive Man, maybe? I don’t know. I can hope, though.

It’s a shame to see Interstitium coming to an end, even if you have to be lauded for completing such a long and interesting work. Any plans to do some work on ME3? For all it’s faults, it mostly stumbles in the last five hours, with TIM and the Catalyst. The tearing down of the universe Bioware built is kind of magnetic and amazing, and it would do credit to a Shepard chapter as the world falls down around him, at least.
Tirion I chapter 28 . 3/19/2014
A pure krogan chapter. We are in awe. Gruntexploding tech armor awesome :D

Here's to hoping this unit will join the group next week.
Tomon chapter 28 . 3/19/2014
Heh, so IFF through Grunt memories as I guessed at the start of this chapter. Good idea and quite original, still they need to somehow obtain one but maybe with this info, TIM will send them to the derelict reaper? So far so good (or even better) :)
tlktojpw chapter 27 . 3/19/2014
The scene where Tali takes off her glove was powerful. Simple, but shows much she loves Shepard. The whole chapter was very well done.
890 | « Prev Page 1 .. 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 21 .. Last Next »